Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Goodyear or Continental all season

We are also looking for tyres for fronts, have had Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT since having Cali. The first set got thro' just over 15000 miles then 2 nd set was worse just over 13000 miles ! tread is down to around 3.0-4.0 now and they have clocked around 10500 miles!!!! the ratings for these tyres are B for rain B for fuel and a low 68 db for noise.
So am looking at change of brand and wondering if worth Michelin primacy4 for the money? rating A for rain B for fuel and 70db for noise.
But looks like the 4 motion guys come out better with mileage on there tyres?

We are also looking for tyres for fronts, have had Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT since having Cali. The first set got thro' just over 15000 miles then 2 nd set was worse just over 13000 miles ! tread is down to around 3.0-4.0 now and they have clocked around 10500 miles!!!! the ratings for these tyres are B for rain B for fuel and a low 68 db for noise.
So am looking at change of brand and wondering if worth Michelin primacy4 for the money? rating A for rain B for fuel and 70db for noise.
But looks like the 4 motion guys come out better with mileage on there tyres?
No front wheel spin.:rolleyes:

I ended up with 2 sets of alloys and a set of steel winter wheels so
i decided to have winter on 1 set of alloys and summer on the other
and do away with the steels.
So i had to wear down the Michelins and they weren´t havin it.
thank you - sorry for the delay :)
we now have our new 4 motion cali - and need to think properly about the tyres. The North East of Scotland has been pretty mild so far this winter......

I bought my new Cali a little over two weeks ago, it came fitted with Hankook Prime (255/45/18) I know a bit about the black stuff as I raced motorbikes, certainly know the hard way when you get it wrong. The Hankook's are probably the worst tyre I have ever driven in the wet, so much so I have ditched them and put on the new Bridgestone A005, obviously it's early days however I can now go round corners and pull away with no wheel spin! I head to Glen Affric tomorrow the weather is to be a real mix of rain, then cold and icy that should be a good test.

Legin
Have you seen this video...?
Decent review. I will change onto these if I go the alps next month or when it’s time to change the original tyres which is due soon.

Yes i had seen it and mighty impressive for a summer biased All Season tyre I would say. I will be fitting them on Saturday as I collect the cali on friday. For me they still look like the best all round option and Welsh Gas comments nailed the decision for me.

Black Circles have £40 off 4 Michelin tyres with a code. If you’re running 18 inch only the 235/55 r18 are 103 load index but Calis are ok on 101 upwards.

Yes i had seen it and mighty impressive for a summer biased All Season tyre I would say. I will be fitting them on Saturday as I collect the cali on friday. For me they still look like the best all round option and Welsh Gas comments nailed the decision for me.

Please report back. Be good to hear what you think also.
Between the feed back and the video, looks like I will go down the same route and get these Michelin’s

I fitted a set of CrossClimate + tyres on our Cali last year just before the snow fell in February. I had to drive up the M4 to London with snow settling (or 'pitching ' as they say down West) on the motorway, was in London with heavy snow and then returned to the West 2 days later with even heavier snow falling and settling all the way down the M4. So much heavier the motorway was down to one lane in many places.

I had total confidence in the grip the Michelin's were providing, which concurs with the review video.

The best tyres I have ever bought.

Alan

I bought my new Cali a little over two weeks ago, it came fitted with Hankook Prime (255/45/18) I know a bit about the black stuff as I raced motorbikes, certainly know the hard way when you get it wrong. The Hankook's are probably the worst tyre I have ever driven in the wet, so much so I have ditched them and put on the new Bridgestone A005, obviously it's early days however I can now go round corners and pull away with no wheel spin! I head to Glen Affric tomorrow the weather is to be a real mix of rain, then cold and icy that should be a good test.

I had Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 fitted when I upgraded to 18's and hated them from day one.

Interested to hear the out come of of your trip. I've had A005's fitted since September and must say they feel much more sure footed than the previous Hankook Ventus evo2, yet to see how they perform on the white stuff as YouTube videos are limited, however from what I've seen they have come out on top of the Cross Climate +

I did look at the A005 but my experience of Bridgestone summer tyres on my porsches (rock hard ride and cracking) Audi Q5 (cracking inside 18 months) put me off. I appreciate this cant really be a credible read across but all things equal.
Also I noted some early references to tyre noise and higher wear rates.
End of the day the experiences of users on here count for more so will be interested to hear more as the miles rack up.

To add to my previous comment, the CrossClimate + are very quiet in comparison the the Michelin Primacy 3 I had on before.

Alan

Well it’ll be Nokian Weatherproofs for me when the present tyres need replacing.
Shod my Skoda Octavia Scout 184dsg with these. They have a slightly more winter/mud bias than the Cross Climates, excelled themselves in snow and had a decent grip on wet muddy grassy areas. Excellent wet weather road performance as well!

Just had 4 Michelin CrossClimate+ fitted today. See how they go through a wet, Welsh winter.
I do love the look of 4 new tyres on a Cali.

I've got the Nokian Weaherproof all season tyres and have been trying to find a suitable spare instead of the current summer tyre. Proving to be nigh on impossible to find a tyre that isn't rotation dependent. ie can fit on left or right side of the Cali. in the event of a puncture.
I've looked at all the all season brands and all are rotation direction dependent. Hunting through the summer tyres brands for more of a block tread rather than the just the normal bands of rubber I only found one cheap economy one which the info gave as a 'city' use tyre, bit frightening to use on a long fast run judging by the description.
Have looked at some winter tyres but so far found the same directional issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Just had 4 Michelin CrossClimate+ fitted today. See how they go through a wet, Welsh winter.

Just read on another forum. A guy fitted these to his white whale and drove through a mountain blizzard in Austria.
The tyre was faultless and kept them moving.
He said it performed brilliantly.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a work colleague who used shoe/boot polish on his tyre walls to keep them looking like new, washed his car and then polished his tyres.
Easy route now with the better brand tyre sprays.

I've got the Nokian Weaherproof all season tyres and have been trying to find a suitable spare instead of the current summer tyre. Proving to be nigh on impossible to find a tyre that isn't rotation dependent. ie can fit on left or right side of the Cali. in the event of a puncture.
I've looked at all the all season brands and all are rotation direction dependent. Hunting through the summer tyres brands for more of a block tread rather than the just the normal bands of rubber I only found one cheap economy one which the info gave as a 'city' use tyre, bit frightening to use on a long fast run judging by the description.
Have looked at some winter tyres but so far found the same directional issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Have a look at the Vredestein Quartrac 5.

Have a look at the Vredestein Quartrac 5.
Had looked at it and at first look it appears OK. Seems top option.
The Pirelli Verde looked good but not done in req'd size.

As a spare the Matador MP 82 Conquerra 2 seems a possible compromise. Available in 235/55/17 103V which some of the suitable tread designs aren't.

One thing that has come to light doing this search is that the rotation dependent tread designs would be useless at reversing on slippery, muddy or snowy, surfaces. The V pattern fills in making the tyre smooth.

Last edited:
So i have just driven 80 miles on the summer tyres (E300) when i picked up yesterday. Today i have fitted the michelin cross climate +. I guess this is unique to compare a new set of summers with a new set of cross climates.
The Michelins are slightly noisier and not quite as smooth a ride but it really is a very small difference and to be expected I guess. I have only done 10 miles on them so need hold on other aspects of the tyre.

I had Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 fitted when I upgraded to 18's and hated them from day one.

Interested to hear the out come of of your trip. I've had A005's fitted since September and must say they feel much more sure footed than the previous Hankook Ventus evo2, yet to see how they perform on the white stuff as YouTube videos are limited, however from what I've seen they have come out on top of the Cross Climate +
A few hundred miles on the new A005's now including some miles on snow all be it only a couple of cm worth, can confirm they are a huge improvement in the wet, really are impressive especially under braking, very quiet too. In the icy and snowy conditions they also performed great, it was not heavy snow at all so can't comment on white out type conditions but IMO they are def turning out to be a solid purchase.

I fitted a set of CrossClimate + tyres on our Cali last year just before the snow fell in February. I had to drive up the M4 to London with snow settling (or 'pitching ' as they say down West) on the motorway, was in London with heavy snow and then returned to the West 2 days later with even heavier snow falling and settling all the way down the M4. So much heavier the motorway was down to one lane in many places.

I had total confidence in the grip the Michelin's were providing, which concurs with the review video.

The best tyres I have ever bought.

Alan

Great to read all the good feedback on the Michelin’s but does anyone know what the difference is between the Crossclimate plus and the crossclimate SUV?

Great to read all the good feedback on the Michelin’s but does anyone know what the difference is between the Crossclimate plus and the crossclimate SUV?
So far all I can find is that the SUV has 'light off road use' as part of it's design. and the + version is primarily an on road tyre.
I did a Michelin search for a 4M Cali and got Cross Climate + as the tyre suitable and also an Amorak 4M and got the SUV version as suitable.
Looks like if you go on rough tracks get SUV but otherwise the + is the one. Mind you are all our roads merely rough tracks now??

So far all I can find is that the SUV has 'light off road use' as part of it's design. and the + version is primarily an on road tyre.
I did a Michelin search for a 4M Cali and got Cross Climate + as the tyre suitable and also an Amorak 4M and got the SUV version as suitable.
Looks like if you go on rough tracks get SUV but otherwise the + is the one. Mind you are all our roads merely rough tracks now??

Thanks BJG, I wonder if there really is a difference or just a marketing ploy to make SUV drivers feel special?

Ian

Back