Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Goodyear or Continental all season

Thanks BJG, I wonder if there really is a difference or just a marketing ploy to make SUV drivers feel special?

Ian
I would assume that the SUV version has a bit more (very technical) rubber and cords on the sidewalls to withstand stone/rut potential damage.

Thanks BJG, I wonder if there really is a difference or just a marketing ploy to make SUV drivers feel special?

Ian
It could be as simple as a different selection of load rating or size available make them SUV.

Alan

Well the Michelin Cross Climate tyres performed very well this morning at 7am on the uncleared/ungritted country roads. Good traction but more important good braking and no skidding.

Hi,
The query raised earlier in the thread about rotation is really key and not one I had considered - I am looking to swap to 235/55R17 Michelin CrossClimate+ for our 204 4Motion and had been assuming I would just buy a 5th one and have it put on my 17" spare, but hadn't thought about the rotation issue.....

So how exactly is the spare meant to function with different rotation requirements on each side unless it is approximately neutral in terms of rotation design?

Sounds like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 mentioned above may be the solution - thanks a lot for highlighting and glad I saw it before I changed the tyres....

Hi,
The query raised earlier in the thread about rotation is really key and not one I had considered - I am looking to swap to 235/55R17 Michelin CrossClimate+ for our 204 4Motion and had been assuming I would just buy a 5th one and have it put on my 17" spare, but hadn't thought about the rotation issue.....

So how exactly is the spare meant to function with different rotation requirements on each side unless it is approximately neutral in terms of rotation design?

Sounds like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 mentioned above may be the solution - thanks a lot for highlighting and glad I saw it before I changed the tyres....
I haven't rotated the tyres on my 4 Motion at all, because the wear has been virtually identical Front to Rear and Left to right. That has been on 3 sets of tyres over 80,000 miles.

I haven't rotated the tyres on my 4 Motion at all, because the wear has been virtually identical Front to Rear and Left to right. That has been on 3 sets of tyres over 80,000 miles.
I think sailski meant that some tyres have an arrow on them for
the rotation, so you can't put one from the left side of your van
on the right side.

I think sailski meant that some tyres have an arrow on them for
the rotation, so you can't put one from the left side of your van
on the right side.
Most people would just swap front to rear on the same side.
As far as the spare is concerned - either treat it as a get you home , minimal distance and slower speed or get a Non-Rotational biased tyre.

Hi, exactly as Westfalia says - my suboptimal question...
But very happy to hear of even tyre wear on 4M - bored of repkacing tyres due to uneven wear, but a periodic geomerty check works wonders

I was just saying thanks to the forim contributirs for raising the point of directional tyres and how I would have messed up if had bought a highly directional tyre like a crossclimate+ as a spare that needs to work on both sides.
Thanks all for the input

Well it’ll be Nokian Weatherproofs for me when the present tyres need replacing.
Shod my Skoda Octavia Scout 184dsg with these. They have a slightly more winter/mud bias than the Cross Climates, excelled themselves in snow and had a decent grip on wet muddy grassy areas. Excellent wet weather road performance as well!

Erm ... change of heart after reading a road test indicating that the Weatherproofs performance dropped off significantly when wear got down to c 4mm. Never ever run my tyres down to the legal limit but nevertheless, back to the drawing board!

Currently looking at 18in and the Bridgestone A005. Can anyone offer further feedback on these? (Currently running the Vector 4 seasons on 17in wheels which I rate highly)

I have done 34,000 miles and just replaced my first pair of Continental Vanco Four season 215/65 16" tyres. They were on the front for 30+, but relagated to the back last September. Still 2mm.
The original rears are on the front and still a very healthy 6mm.
I can't fault these tyres, but haven't had much snow to drive in...

Last edited:
Back