Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California camper control panel

No, Under the seat is where the WiFi Router is and there is the opening for the SIM card, insert the sim then go to the control panel press wifi, this will then light up if you have a router, look for the router on your device then connect.

Also refer to the Manuel
Thanks very much. We are in London as husband is teaching Duke of Edinburgh so finding out everything for the first time. No electricity . I’ve seen some threads on the water pump and just this morning it keeps coming on & off. The water is 48% so hope we have enough for the stay - ha ! I have looked under bed and twisted the black wheel towards the 20 l but really I haven’t a clue !!! Eeek . Any suggestions - gratefully received. Thanks

Hello all,

My control panel is all the time showing 100%, and no consumption, even if I let the light switched on for hours.
I guess there is a bug somewhere.

I've tried to reboot it with the red switch at the rear, but even after hours unplugged, I see no difference, same screen and settings as soon as the panel is restarting.
I've tried to unplug the leasure battery and remove the solar panel fuse, but it doesn't change anything.

Any idea on how to reboot "deeper"?

IMG_20210622_234826.jpg

Hello all,

My control panel is all the time showing 100%, and no consumption, even if I let the light switched on for hours.
I guess there is a bug somewhere.

I've tried to reboot it with the red switch at the rear, but even after hours unplugged, I see no difference, same screen and settings as soon as the panel is restarting.
I've tried to unplug the leasure battery and remove the solar panel fuse, but it doesn't change anything.

Any idea on how to reboot "deeper"?

View attachment 80500
Lights are all led..few milliamps only so not surprising no drain. Switch fridge on an see what happens

Thanks very much. We are in London as husband is teaching Duke of Edinburgh so finding out everything for the first time. No electricity . I’ve seen some threads on the water pump and just this morning it keeps coming on & off. The water is 48% so hope we have enough for the stay - ha ! I have looked under bed and twisted the black wheel towards the 20 l but really I haven’t a clue !!! Eeek . Any suggestions - gratefully received. Thanks
Wheel on top of water tank drains it to 20 litres for driving away. The water pump does seem to be a bit intermittent on our 680. Moving the tap position to cold seems to get it going then move to hot

Lights are all led..few milliamps only so not surprising no drain. Switch fridge on an see what happens
Fridge can only be switched on for few minutes, then blink 5 times + 1 long (if I understood well, it's an error code for a battery issue).
That's why I'm trying to understand the issue with the control pannel, I think both problems are linked.

Anyway, even with the fridge on and mobiles phones charging on plugs, the screen is still showing 100% and 0mAh of cunsumption.

I've checked the leasure battery under the bonnet with a multimeter, the tension is 12.4V, not 12.7V as shown on the screen.

Except that, the screen is working fine (water levels, switch on the lights, control the steps, etc are working...)

Fridge can only be switched on for few minutes, then blink 5 times + 1 long (if I understood well, it's an error code for a battery issue).
That's why I'm trying to understand the issue with the control pannel, I think both problems are linked.

Anyway, even with the fridge on and mobiles phones charging on plugs, the screen is still showing 100% and 0mAh of cunsumption.

I've checked the leasure battery under the bonnet with a multimeter, the tension is 12.4V, not 12.7V as shown on the screen.

Except that, the screen is working fine (water levels, switch on the lights, control the steps, etc are working...)
Beyond me now... sounds like a return to vw service. Good luck

I don’t know what the issue is but I bought a useful 12v to USB adapter that goes in a cigar lighter socket from eBay that shows the battery voltage. Mine has so far been within 0.1 from the control panel reading. This was from the dash sockets which are from the leisure battery I believe.

I'll check to buy this voltmeter.
But today, I check directly on the posts of the leisure battery (under the bonnet) , it's even better.

Actually I've realized that all the lights on the camping area are not connected to the leisure battery.
They still work when I switch off the red switch.
Same for the step.
I haven't checked for the plugs, but I've found only the control panel, the fridge and the bathroom lights seems to be plugged to the leisure battery...

I've disconnected my control panel, removed the small lithium battery inside to try to reset it.
It didn't work after 10s, so I'll wait the full day before reassembling everything...

There's a slot that looks like a sim card slot at the rear of the control panel, does anyone knows what it's for?

IMG_20210625_083402.jpg

Thank goodness I looked this forum up as I rather cleaned the control panel a bit too
hard and had to reboot it. All good now.

Service informed to turn off the camper side main power from the red power switch in the cupboard with the 240v fuse panel.

So we did. powered off for 5mins or so. Power back on and the Lights started to work Control panel, but camping mode went grey and water and battery levels went to 0%. Service asked to start the car and we did. Water and battery levels came back. Step control reseted to off from auto mode which caused us to think that step no longer worked, but after a while going thourgh the settings we noticed the auto->off chage.

So "Booting" up the camper mains and starting the car fixed the problem for now. Gotta see if/when this happens again and contact service again.

Hi, facing the same problems. is the red power switch the one that is uses to put all the electricity down in the Van?

Hello,

The Campuer Unit is a bit strange, allright. For instance, I changed the fresh water yesterday. While the 25 L water drained out (it was in for almost 2x weeks), the level on the camper unit did not change at all. I waited to give the unit a wee bit time to adjust, but no.

I switched off and on the power (red button in the boot).

Camper Unit picked up the change in water level (at this point empty) and then recognized that the fresh water level rose again to about 35%.

I will keep an eye on this and if it happens a few times more I will bring the van to VW to check this out.

Happy confused Camper Unit,
Eberhard

Last saturday we had a total mess up with our control panel. Fridge was the only thing that worked.

Light switches stopped working, water pump stopped working, battery was not charging, the dash button for fast charging was not reaching at all (no light or no revs when pushed).

Pulled out all fuses from the panel under the bead and checked them all, turned the mains switch under the bed on and off for several times and nothing.

We we freaking out as we were on an small island close to the åland islands and our ferry was leaving in two days. We were stranded there for two for nights with a car in where nothing was working.

Started to read this board for any help possible and found several writings about the blue connector under the dashboard behind the glove compartment. Took a flashlight and crawled to see I could find it. And there it was, in a hard to reach place with a clip to hold it in place when trying to pull it out.

Turned the main power off under the bed and pulled the blue connector off for few minutes.

After pluging the blu connector back and turning the main power on the control panel had booted. Everything was grey in the panel and after turning the car engine on everything went back to normal. Everything was working as they should. Thank god for that.

The control panel seems to be a total piece on *hit and VW can't seem to be able to fix it.

See the pic attached how messed up the panel can be.

20210808_201113.jpg

Visited the dealership today and they tried to check what was the software version in our control panel. They did not succeed to find it out, but later today we managed to get it out. Ours is V000108 and at least that one is buggy as hell.

You can enter the factory settings on the control panel by swiping the top on the screen from left to right and then from the middle from up to down while in the main screen.

This can take many many tries before it opens as I don't know if there is a delay or certain speed for the swipes.

20210812_194002.jpg

swipe.png

Visited the dealership today and they tried to check what was the software version in our control panel. They did not succeed to find it out, but later today we managed to get it out. Ours is V000108 and at least that one is buggy as hell.

You can enter the factory settings on the control panel by swiping the top on the screen from left to right and then from the middle from up to down while in the main screen.

This can take many many tries before it opens as I don't know if there is a delay or certain speed for the swipes.

View attachment 82999

View attachment 83000
Useful info, thanks.

Tried hundreds of time on mine, never succeed to enter in the factory setting menu... :headbang

Tried hundreds of time on mine, never succeed to enter in the factory setting menu... :headbang
Not saying this will work as I haven’t tried it myself yet. Try it with the ignition on. Worth a try.

Hi, I have a couple of questions based on the posts before.
1. I see that besides the red switch to put down all the battery power, I also need to do something with a blue connector. Question is this needed and if so, where can I find it?
2. Software version. Is it possible to update the display myself or should it be done by the dealer?
Thanks

Today we had a meeting in the dealership about all of our troubles with the control panel. Our major concern has been all the time the diesel heating which at random times cuts the heating at night when we are sleeping.

We have been waiting for almost 6 months now and there has been no solution or fix to this and most likely this behavior is one of the failures in the control panels software. Dealership said that there are several cars with same kind of weird failures all relating to the control panel.

Anyhow VW has returned our money from our opted Truma diesel heater which was 1240eur. They returned the money even the fault isn't in the heater. Dealership has no info when the actual problem with the control panel is fixed, so we agreed to wait for the fix until December. Then we will sit down again and have a discussion if we are going to return the whole car to the dealer.

Today we had a meeting in the dealership about all of our troubles with the control panel. Our major concern has been all the time the diesel heating which at random times cuts the heating at night when we are sleeping.

We have been waiting for almost 6 months now and there has been no solution or fix to this and most likely this behavior is one of the failures in the control panels software. Dealership said that there are several cars with same kind of weird failures all relating to the control panel.

Anyhow VW has returned our money from our opted Truma diesel heater which was 1240eur. They returned the money even the fault isn't in the heater. Dealership has no info when the actual problem with the control panel is fixed, so we agreed to wait for the fix until December. Then we will sit down again and have a discussion if we are going to return the whole car to the dealer.
I really think VW should have done real world tests on these vans before going on sale. Had they lent 10 couples a van each for 1 months touring all these faults would have shown up and if no fix was found a delay should’ve been put on sales.

Beyond me now... sounds like a return to vw service. Good luck
My van is just back from VW garage.
They did an update of the software.
Problem is still here... o_O

Our 600 has the same problem too. Reset it ok with the red switch. Disappointing to say the least with only 276 miles on the clock! (240 of which were me driving it back from the dealer, so not exactly used a lot since!)

Will monitor and report to dealer. I think that's all we can do for now and hopefully the dealers will continue to report back to VW for a proper firmware fix.

According to german forums this has been known atleast 1.5 years by VW and there is no fix up to date and they have no idea when this could be fixed. We have had enough and have made a decision to return our car to the dealer.

According to german forums this has been known atleast 1.5 years by VW and there is no fix up to date and they have no idea when this could be fixed. We have had enough and have made a decision to return our car to the dealer.
It really leaves a bad taste when it’s well documented, yet they still continue to build these panels into the vans and sell them knowing the fault.

Back