Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Guide - Fitting The Small Under Bench Drawer

Does this drawer fit the pre facelift cali? I wasn't that interested until i read the post about keeping cider in there :rofl

Yes but you may have to drill the hole for the locking spigot. Pull the front cover off your seat and see if you can find the pre drilled hole.

Hi,

This was indeed a very usefull post! I ordered mine the day after I read the post. Finally a neat solution for the rather unpracticle hole...

Delivery took less than day in the Netherlands, even if I was told that the drawer was not stock at the importer.

Only had two issues:
- the initial post mentioned screws N906 462 01 or N 907 750 01 - this is now corrected I believe- N 907 750 01 is indeed what you need (I had to re-order the correct screws);
- once installed, I could not close the drawer, it would not lock and the lever would stay tilted up even when pushing hard on the drawer and lever- very frustrating, I was almost convinced that the locking spigot hole was not correctly positioned, until I decided to slam the drawer shut: it worked instantly and after a few times it closes more easily.

Peter

Yes, all fitted here too. Liking the additional storage.

This is a great post and very helpful. I have just fitted the drawer and it was very straightforward in my facelift Cali. As I bought the parts from smg, it was all pre drilled so there was no need to measure or drill anything and everything fitted like a glove. 30 minute job.

I have mixed views on vw quality these days, but the drawer kit is very well designed and very good quality. The drawer itself is surprisingly heavy and even the runners are obviously good ones.

For the complete set of parts from smg it was £210 after my vip discount, which is quite dear. But it provides a great, tidy place where things are readily to hand. I will put my gadgets, chargers, torch etc in it.

Hi there.

Is there a global reference number for the whole "kit" ? I'd like to find it in France...

frigorifix said:
Hi there.

Is there a global reference number for the whole "kit" ? I'd like to find it in France...

No it's made up of the parts listed, not specifically available as a retrofit kit however I see no reason why a French VW dealer wouldn't be able to get you the individual parts.

Cheers,

I did a quick ETKA search with the reference numbers and oddly, it's cheaper in France (prices are in euros, total would be 190€, more or less 160£. Still quite steep for a drawer !):

tiroir.JPG

I'll have a go at my dealer to see if it can be ordered !

I was wondering... Is it possible to easily remove the drawer and replace with the normal blanking plate?

The reason I ask is that there are times when I need to carry longer items. (Fishing poles, dog carpets etc)

I really like the idea of this extra drawer but unfortunately need the extra flexibility.

Any idea guys?

Thanks
Mark

Depends on how easy you call easy Mark. :lol:

The drawer is held in by two small screws - Easy.

The front cover is held on by a screw in spigot which is removed and swapped when using the drawer - Easy.

I never knew this drawer existed!!! Just trying to convince myself that I need a £200 small drawer. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've ordered all the part from my local dealer... God damn forum, giving ideas to good people !
I hope it will be easy to mount in my 2013 Cali (?)

frigorifix said:
Cheers,

I did a quick ETKA search with the reference numbers and oddly, it's cheaper in France (prices are in euros, total would be 190€, more or less 160£. Still quite steep for a drawer !):

tiroir.JPG

I'll have a go at my dealer to see if it can be ordered !

You need two runners so that's probably why you have the cheaper price. :thumb

I know, I haven't done the list properly but the math is OK :
98.70€ + (44.15€ x 2) + (0.71€ x 2) + (0.32€ x 8) = 190.98€ (+/- £160) ;)

An update to anyone who wants to fit this second drawer under the bench seat.
I couldn't resist the extra storage space so we have bought the second sliding drawer as featured in previous posts. But like most easy things some do not go to according to plan.
I thought reading through "the how to guide" it would be fitted and filled within 30mins how wrong could i be :cry:
I would presume the guide is for newer vans and these could have the screw holes already there, so a straight forward job of screwing the runners on fitting the catch and drawer, sorted.
My van is a 2007 and there is nothing on the side of the bench frame so this 30min job became a full evening job.
step 1 - seat out (pretty easy but need two people)
step 2 - guessing where the runners will fit. I measured the bottom of the one already fitted i then used a strong double sided tape and fitted that to the side of the seat frame then fitted the top runner onto the position on the drawer with the double sided tape on the runner, lowered the drawer onto the bottom runner and when it sort of looked fine pressed on the drawer so the top runner would stick to the frame side. Removed the drawer which left the runners stuck to the frame side screwed these on using some 5 x 12mm flat headed screws i already had.
Fitted the drawer back on and to my surprise when it closed both drawers lined up :clap
One thing left to do was mark the position of the catch which meant removing one of the blanking plate catches which could possible be pressed in because i had to snap it off luckily it snapped flush with the base.
The photos might give more help to anyone wanting to give this a go if you have not got the threaded screw holes already prepared from the factory.
Overhall quite pleased with the drawer and for now has all the bottles and containers we had in the bigger drawer, deodorant, suncreem, dish washing liquid etc......
Drawer was from VW but bought the runners from ebay two pairs were cheaper to buy here than one pair from VW :crazy Previous post mention's about removing the soft close but i found no need to do this and if anything it gives it a more secure catch at the back.

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0146.JPG

Thanks for the update. :thumb

I did have a little note in the original post about pre facelift van needing some drilling, great to see this didn't put you off. :D

I was just about to order all the bits for this and then realised it's the ideal spot to keep the levelling ramps.
The Fiamma ramps in their bag fit in there spot on.

My ramps fit perfectly in the loft, where they've been since I bought them. :lol:

Have never found a need to use them, even at the recent Cotswold meet which was on a slight incline.

A case of wine fits in there rather well too :thumb

I must admit on the few occasions I've needed chocks they've been too shallow to make any difference!

Fishing rods fit in there as well.
rob

Does anyone know if the partnumbers still apply for the 2014 SE? Or did anything change?

Back