Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gutted...what to do

4 motion is about the most massively overrated feature on this forum. The California isn't an off road vehicle and almost every other situation where 4wd might be useful (getting stuck in a grassy field) can either be avoided or solved with a pair of £10 traction mats. Take the 2wd and smile every time you fill up on fuel knowing that each tank of diesel is going so much further.

Last edited:
My advice, based upon reading the various posts wherein the approach is based on values of the 50's that is now replaced by inept dealers to whom English comprehension is unfathomable. Oh yes and the greed to have completed a sales and the brownie points awarded - start from a legal standpoint, know the written law and quote from there. If they start to give the soft shoe round about this will indicate to you that indeed, someone higher up knows the law and is going to test the limits of your knowledge. Do your research before going in. Download the infomation and have it ready. Inform them the conversation will be recorded for purposes of training. This will give them a coronary, but why is it we have our conversations recorded without giving consent? In an above post, the sensors ordered, paid for, never received, being retro fitted by the dealership and NOT UNDER WARRANTY? This is the test they will subject you to to see how much crap you are willing to eat, digest and smile whilst you are doing so. We are just the poor people without money in Panama...

My advice, based upon reading the various posts wherein the approach is based on values of the 50's that is now replaced by inept dealers to whom English comprehension is unfathomable. Oh yes and the greed to have completed a sales and the brownie points awarded - start from a legal standpoint, know the written law and quote from there. If they start to give the soft shoe round about this will indicate to you that indeed, someone higher up knows the law and is going to test the limits of your knowledge. Do your research before going in. Download the infomation and have it ready. Inform them the conversation will be recorded for purposes of training. This will give them a coronary, but why is it we have our conversations recorded without giving consent? In an above post, the sensors ordered, paid for, never received, being retro fitted by the dealership and NOT UNDER WARRANTY? This is the test they will subject you to to see how much crap you are willing to eat, digest and smile whilst you are doing so. We are just the poor people without money in Panama...
I'm afraid I can't agree with this belief that everything was wonderful in the 50's and that we should treat everyone now as if we are going to be ripped off if that is indeed what this post is saying. I was born in the 50's and I have managed to get through life without treating everyone on the assumption that they are going to rip me off. There are some nice people in the world, in fact the vast majority and the starting point should be an assumption that they are with the caveat of being prepared for if they are not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the "keep it until it's changed". It's their mistake, not yours.

4 Motion proved it's worth for me at the weekend. At least 2 coachbuilt campers had to be tracktored off the campsite. 4 Motion never even blinked at the grass and mud. So my advice would be to wait and get it right. Best of luck.
Watched this many times, smug in my 4motion Cali, having danced over the mud.
If your not going to move of hardstanding no problem.
If you will be camping in fields then they are often muddy.
Mind you the fuel economy might more than make up for it...

The most important thing is whether you want to miss a summers camping?!
Many examples of vw loaning the mistake vehicle while you wait for the correct one.

Just last weekend cali sunk 6" on the muddy grass 4 motion got out no problem at all.

4 motion is about the most massively overrated feature on this forum. The California isn't an off road vehicle and almost every other situation where 4wd might be useful (getting stuck in a grassy field) can either be avoided or solved with a pair of £10 traction mats. Take the 2wd and smile every time you fill up on fuel knowing that each tank of diesel is going so much further.
Completely Disagree. I do not intend off roading in my 4Motion, but I will be going on campsites without hardstandings, travelling unmade tracks and besides a 4Motion is much more planted than any 2 wheel drive vehicle. You might like your 3 ton camper being dragged around by it's 2 front wheels but I don't. Just my own personal opinion.

Every time I start to think "next time I really am not going to need 4WD" so what happened half an hour ago happens.

I have just pulled into a campsite east of Saint Omer. It's raining. Yellow warning for thunderstorms.

I was cheerfully told that I am the first camper of the season. The place is mostly statics and to prove that they have only just opened, today, someone is busy cutting the ankle high grass and others are busy repairing statics that make this place look as though it is still recovering from WW1.

Told cheerfully I could park anywhere, and looking carefully for unexploded ordnance, I gingerly pulled off the road into a patch of thick grass hiding what appears to be a waterlogged shell hole.

Well, a muddy shallow depression, but let's be dramatic. It's raining, I need something to do :(

I had that sinking feeling, literally, whilst the site person, busy repairing a roof, clapped hand to forehead, fortunately first remembering to put down the hammer that he was holding in said hand.

Albert still has his winter wellies on (they come off next week) and to reverse off was little problem. I will reconsider my fleeting thoughts about next time not needing 4WD.

Last edited:
Hi,
An update (although not much has changed)
I asked the dealer to try and find a similar spec vehicle that may be available at any other dealership. They got back to me saying that one came up on the system but they have been unable to speak to anyone as yet. They did however point out that the vehicle was more fully specced than mine and it would cost me more money. It seems that although they acknowledge the mistake they are expecting me to cover it. I pointed out that I don't see why I should be asked to cover the whole cost of any price difference when the mistake is theirs (or vw) I also mentioned that I asked for either a loan vehicle whilst I re order or failing that an offer of compensation to accept the supplied vehicle. They haven't as yet actually offered me any of the suggested solutions and not withstanding any response they come back with I am growing increasingly frustrated. :headbang
It seems as though this is going to be a drawn out process. I would point out that the contact the dealer is always apologetic and I am sure he is trying to help.

Hi,
An update (although not much has changed)
I asked the dealer to try and find a similar spec vehicle that may be available at any other dealership. They got back to me saying that one came up on the system but they have been unable to speak to anyone as yet. They did however point out that the vehicle was more fully specced than mine and it would cost me more money. It seems that although they acknowledge the mistake they are expecting me to cover it. I pointed out that I don't see why I should be asked to cover the whole cost of any price difference when the mistake is theirs (or vw) I also mentioned that I asked for either a loan vehicle whilst I re order or failing that an offer of compensation to accept the supplied vehicle. They haven't as yet actually offered me any of the suggested solutions and not withstanding any response they come back with I am growing increasingly frustrated. :headbang
It seems as though this is going to be a drawn out process. I would point out that the contact the dealer is always apologetic and I am sure he is trying to help.
At this stage dialogue is good and I would want to know who is at fault. They need to be admitting it if it was them and not VW, which I suspect. If it was the dealership then it was probably the dealer who is now between a rock, you, and a hard place, his boss.
The solution of an alternative better specked vehicle may be attractive but it's going to require more info. One thing for certain it's got to be at there cost and to a spec you want. Good luck

Edit: One step at a time but if you have to put your foot on their throat so be it.

Yes, problem with these kind of problems, dealer is covered by his contract and the car can easily be sold to someone else since the waiting list is so long.

Yes the problem also now appears to be they may be hedging towards saying I decided against 4motion. I did to and fro around options especially dsg and initially wasn't having 4motion but then once decided I was that was it.
I'm hoping if it comes to it then phone records would clear things up.
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. All a bit disappointing considering how much I was looking forward to the whole thing :(
I the the whole ordering process could be improved

I'm hoping if it comes to it then phone records would clear things up.

Haven't you got a written copy of the order form because I'm sure those phone records won't be available/lost /machine on the blink etc.

Yes I do have it and have forwarded it on to them. I'm not sure if they are saying I changed it verbally subsequently (which I didn't)
Haven't you got a written copy of the order form because I'm sure those phone records won't be available/lost /machine on the blink etc.
yes I do have it and have forwarded it to them. I'm not sure if they think I changed the order subsequently. (Which I didn't)

My advice (based on bitter experience) is that you should try to take control of the timelines. Set an expectation for when you expect a formal response from the dealer. And confirm it - at least in an email.

Have you met / spoken to the Sales Manager yet? If it is a group I would also want reassurance that the Sales Director is aware.

I didn't do the above immediately and trusted a salesman (albeit not the one who probably made the error) to run with the issue. I should have gone to the Sales Manager straight away. I eventually did. No resolution yet but I have a meeting later this week at which we have both 'agreed' that the matter needs a final resolution.

Stick to your guns and good luck.

A California is about camping. Camping usually involves grass, (very often wet).

3 tonne fwd Cali + a wet grassy campsite = a potential slippery muddy problem.
3 tonne 4wd Cali + a wet grassy campsite = a great big cheesy grin.

I have been properly stuck before in my previous T4 having happened upon a hidden rabbit burrow. I had to be rescued by a chap with a 4wd. This was after spending quite a while with all sorts of kit trying to get myself out. It's not for everyone but for me at least, 4wd is worth having on a heavy vehicle thats going to spend much of its time off road and on grass or worse.

Also, for people like me that occasionally tow heavy trailers with their Calis it provides that extra degree of traction.

I've had 4 years with a 2wd Cali and now over 12 months with a 4motion.

We never got stuck in our 2wd Cali but I was EXTREMELY careful after my experiences with various Sevel based campers; one of which couldn't even get going up a hill on wet tarmac! We always carried a set of mats but these invariably ended up being fired out from the wheels at great velocity when called upon! :D

4wd on a Cali make more sense than buying a Range Rover or similar which will probably never be called upon to go off tarmac. The 4motion option doesn't even cost a lot in comparison to say, Xenon headlights; true there is a 3 - 4mpg penalty but if you're spending 50k on a vehicle this shouldn't be an issue.

It's not just the additional confidence off paved surfaces; as WG says, the 4motion is more also planted on the road and the additional grip is particularly noticeable when accelerating out of a junction into fast moving traffic.

To the OP, if you want 4wd I agree with the posts above suggesting the dealer re-orders the vehicle you specified and loans you the one supplied in error in the meantime. Good luck!

I feel I need to disagree with T6 CFO above on his comment that you need to know who is at fault. If you are confident that your order states what you wanted (given there may have been some telecom changes) and what has been delivered is different - nit picking over who made the error is not your concern at this stage. You need agreement (and the facts should back you up) that it's 'their' error and they need to deliver to you the vehicle you ordered. In the meantime, you have paid good money in a deposit and were promised a vehicle on said date, so will be taking it to use whilst they rectify the situation (making sure you have NOT paid the balance, or adjusted the finance appropriately to make sure they are now own the back foot).

I feel I need to disagree with T6 CFO above on his comment that you need to know who is at fault. If you are confident that your order states what you wanted (given there may have been some telecom changes) and what has been delivered is different - nit picking over who made the error is not your concern at this stage. You need agreement (and the facts should back you up) that it's 'their' error and they need to deliver to you the vehicle you ordered. In the meantime, you have paid good money in a deposit and were promised a vehicle on said date, so will be taking it to use whilst they rectify the situation (making sure you have NOT paid the balance, or adjusted the finance appropriately to make sure they are now own the back foot).
Alison I don't believe it's nit picking to want to know who is at fault between the dealer and VW. It's just a desire to establish the facts. It's an obvious question. Obviously the issue is to resolve the problem but it helps if you know who caused it.

Yes I do have it and have forwarded it on to them. I'm not sure if they are saying I changed it verbally subsequently (which I didn't)

yes I do have it and have forwarded it to them. I'm not sure if they think I changed the order subsequently. (Which I didn't)
Sounding to me as if they have ordered the wrong vehicle and you have paperwork to show what you did order. Advice from DM sounds good to me as it is likely you are dealing with the person who made the error. Good Luck!

So, they went from "The factory built the wrong car" to, "You ordered the wrong car"?
It seem 's the salesman is quite unserious blaiming the factory to begin with.
Talk to the boss directly.

Are dealers taking orders verbally? Once you've signed an order sheet I'd expect them to ask you to re-sign for any changes, but if not that, at least have email records to confirm any changes. Anything else was soon going to lead into an unsatisfactory "you said, no you said".....
In the absence of proof to the contrary, the order sheet must stand.

Last edited:
Completely Disagree. I do not intend off roading in my 4Motion, but I will be going on campsites without hardstandings, travelling unmade tracks and besides a 4Motion is much more planted than any 2 wheel drive vehicle. You might like your 3 ton camper being dragged around by it's 2 front wheels but I don't. Just my own personal opinion.
I agree that 4 motion is an amazing piece of kit and think it is underrated not overrated. When I had my R32 and golf R you always had the GTI haters that said its just a massive lump of lead in the boot and weighs too much etc etc. The main point for me is you can drive them the same in the rain and poor road conditions and you can in the dry perfect conditions. This has to be one of the safest optional extras you can have imo. I don't really bother about getting stuck in a field and being smug watching others struggle, I will always manage to get out and help others where possible! I haven't driven a van 4motion but the more traction you have the safer it is and that is salient point of 4motion, again just my opinion. ;)

Back