Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gutted...what to do

Are dealers taking orders verbally? Once you've signed an order sheet I'd expect them to ask you to re-sign for any changes, but if not that, at least have email records to confirm any changes. Anything else was soon going to lead into an unsatisfactory "you said, no you said".....
In the absence of proof to the contrary, the order sheet must stand.
Yep mine did. Changed my order twice. On both occasions off to the dealer, new order sheet signed and a copy made for both of us. Had one query on rear wash wipe and this was covered by email.

Hi, I recently posted with a similar issue, turning down a 4 motion I ordered as it was missing one option (wonder if that's the one they found) I reordered, another 16 weeks wait, I have a loan vehicle while I wait and a gesture of good will which I put back into the Cali in options. Go for what you wanted or you'll regret it later and insist on a " good will payment.

Hi, I recently posted with a similar issue, turning down a 4 motion I ordered as it was missing one option (wonder if that's the one they found) I reordered, another 16 weeks wait, I have a loan vehicle while I wait and a gesture of good will which I put back into the Cali in options. Go for what you wanted or you'll regret it later and insist on a " good will payment.
They said I would need to pay for loan vehicle and also that they had no California demos available as the one they have was being sold in June! I said I wouldn't be paying for loan in any event as the mistake was theirs. They have acknowledged mistake at least. I have asked again for hire vehicle or the like or last option would be to get enough of a discount on incorrect vehicle to make it worthwhile.
Think I will need to find out where I stand legally if they comeback with nothing.
:(

Can I ask were you supplied with a California as a loan vehicle?

They said I would need to pay for loan vehicle and also that they had no California demos available as the one they have was being sold in June! I said I wouldn't be paying for loan in any event as the mistake was theirs. They have acknowledged mistake at least. I have asked again for hire vehicle or the like or last option would be to get enough of a discount on incorrect vehicle to make it worthwhile.
Think I will need to find out where I stand legally if they comeback with nothing.
:(

Think legal advice would be good to help you clarify your position.

Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended)
If you want protection when you are shopping, this is the law you need to know.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.
The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:
  • AS DESCRIBED
  • of satisfactory quality
  • fit for purpose
As described refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader.

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

As described ,seems the important point here.

Last edited:
Hi anage, yes the Vehicle supplied was a 2015 Cali, one of their hire vehicles, they loaned me it as part of the settlement between the dealer, VW and myself, once they established who was a fault, in this case it was VW, they gave me it a month before mine was due for delivery, insured by them and mine to use until the new one arrives no catches, no mention of queue jumping for delivery now due in June.
If VW admit fault see if you can get the name of the claim handler from your dealer and contact them direct, if it was dealer issue see if you can involve VW customer service anyway, perseverance wins in the end. The more people involved the better I found.

Thanks all. Will see what they come back with then try and involve vw sales I think.
Seems alot must depend on dealer discretion.

Think legal advice would be good to help you clarify your position.

Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended)
If you want protection when you are shopping, this is the law you need to know.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.
The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:
  • AS DESCRIBED
  • of satisfactory quality
  • fit for purpose
As described refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader.

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

As described ,seems the important point here.

This has been replaced with the consumer rights act 2015 http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act. HAve a look as its more rights for the consumer.

What do you guys think a ball park compensatory offer should be to accept the delivered vehicle.
They have made an offer but I can't see it being worthwhile but if I'm honest I am just tired of the whole issue so would be grateful for some objectivity
Cheers

It's a difficult decision because if you accept this one you may always be itching for the one you really wanted. However, with the current long delivery times I think if it was me I would go for the one that was available and start enjoying it. Plus you will save on fuel and it will be a little bit faster!

Only you know if the dealer compensation is satisfactory, but if you don't buy the van I'm pretty sure someone else will snap it up. Good luck :thumb

It is gonna be difficult to come up with even a ball park figure as there are so many variables. Ask yourself a few questions.
What is the cost of the equipment that has not been supplied? How much is your time that has been spent trying to sort it out? Will you want to get a new set of all season tyres that will at least give you some traction on wet grass? Will you ever be truly happy with the vehicle? Are you just giving up as it is the easy option? IMO only you can decide what compo you think is right or to reject the vehicle and start again. Maybe a pros and cons list might help.

What do you guys think a ball park compensatory offer should be to accept the delivered vehicle.
They have made an offer but I can't see it being worthwhile but if I'm honest I am just tired of the whole issue so would be grateful for some objectivity
Cheers
And that is what they are hoping you'll do.
If you are not fussed about 4Motion then whatever makes you accept it and get the Dealer out of a pickle. ÂŁ4.000 off the price of a 2 WD California?

Of course, what you could do is re-order your 4Motion California. Take this vehicle + a very substantial Discount/Compensation payment and use it over the Summer and then sell it and with the compensation/discount pay for the California you really want.
Don't forget 2nd hand T6 Oceans will be in short supply and so command a premium.

Cheers
It's a difficult shout and a decision you should not be making purely in the wish to end the saga. I will also PM you with an additional thought.

And that is what they are hoping you'll do.
If you are not fussed about 4Motion then whatever makes you accept it and get the Dealer out of a pickle. ÂŁ4.000 off the price of a 2 WD California?

Of course, what you could do is re-order your 4Motion California. Take this vehicle + a very substantial Discount/Compensation payment and use it over the Summer and then sell it and with the compensation/discount pay for the California you really want.
Don't forget 2nd hand T6 Oceans will be in short supply and so command a premium.
That is what I would do if they offered that as an option but they won't. They said it is dealer discretion to offer loan vehicke

That is what I would do if they offered that as an option but they won't. They said it is dealer discretion to offer loan vehicke
My suggestion does not involve a Loan Vehicle. You would accept the vehicle and pay for it as agreed. Use the Compensation as the deposit on the re-ordered vehicle, then sell the 1st vehicle to pay off the balance on the vehicle you really want when it is delivered.
There is risk that there is shortfall BUT there would be if you refused the vehicle and re-ordered and hired a substitute for the summer.
It really depends if you want to take that risk to get the vehicle you want if you plan on keeping it longterm. However, if you plan on just keeping it for 3 years then just accept it + compensation and refine your options for the next time.:thumb

Yes that was my suggestion but the compensation offered (a few hundred quid) goes nowhere near that.
Thinking to be done!!

The best resolve would be for them to reorder your Cali and then give you a demo Cali loaner until ready imo

The best resolve would be for them to reorder your Cali and then give you a demo Cali loaner until ready imo
Good suggestion -see Anage post on page 3 .
There is no demo available & they would have to pay for a loan vehicle.

Wish you well in your thinking Anage.

Last edited:
Yes that was my suggestion but the compensation offered (a few hundred quid) goes nowhere near that.
Thinking to be done!!
You're in a horrible position @Anage. One thing I would be sure of is that this will be the last transaction that I would have with that particular dealer.

As a poster above has stated, this is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I am no lawyer but did look at this in relation to my issues. There are specific provisions in the act relating to motor vehicles. I presume that you have not taken delivery and have only paid a deposit so far. You have an absolute right under the act to reject the vehicle within 30 days of delivery if it is not 'as described' - which it clearly isn't. In that case you would be entitled to your deposit back. But I don't believe the act specifically addresses compensation. That would be between you and the dealer.

I seems from other posters that where VW is at fault they will support the dealer with a solution. From the derisory offer that you have been made at present it sounds like this may be a dealer issue which may be trickier. Are you now dealing with the sales manager or, if it is a group, the sales director? Have you put your concerns in writing? And have you formally registered the issue with VWCS? I would do all of these things. I'd then start some conversations with other dealers explaining the situation and seeing if anyone will do you a good deal with a loan / hire arrangement whilst you are waiting.

Whilst I am not an advocate of 4WD myself, you clearly considered it and decided that it was for you so you would probably regret compromising at this stage.

If you do keep this one, I would ask them for a complimentary set of winter wheels to offset the lack of 4motion.
Good luck with whatever decision you make

You're in a horrible position @Anage. One thing I would be sure of is that this will be the last transaction that I would have with that particular dealer.

As a poster above has stated, this is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I am no lawyer but did look at this in relation to my issues. There are specific provisions in the act relating to motor vehicles. I presume that you have not taken delivery and have only paid a deposit so far. You have an absolute right under the act to reject the vehicle within 30 days of delivery if it is not 'as described' - which it clearly isn't. In that case you would be entitled to your deposit back. But I don't believe the act specifically addresses compensation. That would be between you and the dealer.

I seems from other posters that where VW is at fault they will support the dealer with a solution. From the derisory offer that you have been made at present it sounds like this may be a dealer issue which may be trickier. Are you now dealing with the sales manager or, if it is a group, the sales director? Have you put your concerns in writing? And have you formally registered the issue with VWCS? I would do all of these things. I'd then start some conversations with other dealers explaining the situation and seeing if anyone will do you a good deal with a loan / hire arrangement whilst you are waiting.

Whilst I am not an advocate of 4WD myself, you clearly considered it and decided that it was for you so you would probably regret compromising at this stage.
I have involved vwcs but not heard back from case manager yet. To be fair to the dealer I miscalculated their offer and it works out to 1k pre tax. Still not worth it imho but more than I initially calculated it to be.
I guess it all comes down to how much it will remain in back of my head after I take delivery of vehicle
Thanks for all your advice and comments again. I'm sure it will all work out!

Cheers
Hi Anage, really sorry to hear about this monumental error! Regarding the compensation, only you will know if what they are offering is enough as it will just feel right. I have a front wheel drive and find it good but that is what I ordered and was expecting.
If I try to imagine being in your shoes, I would accept a free set of roof bars and a bike rack as compensation. Then try and put the whole thing behind me and start planning some trips for this summer.
I hope you manage to get somewhere satisfactory with this and get some closure on it. If you do accept the FWD with compensation, remember the original didn't have 4motion and managed to be the iconic vehicle it is! :thumb

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have the right to reject the car and get your deposit / money back, nothing more. It sounds like the dealer is working hard to help you fix the problem but margins are very thin on new vehicles and they certainly don't have to, nor are they likely to be in a position (commercially) offer you free anything. I appreciate that is harsh but waiting times and build errors are an (albeit slim) risk of buying new.

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have the right to reject the car and get your deposit / money back, nothing more. It sounds like the dealer is working hard to help you fix the problem but margins are very thin on new vehicles and they certainly don't have to, nor are they likely to be in a position (commercially) offer you free anything. I appreciate that is harsh but waiting times and build errors are an (albeit slim) risk of buying new.
Car dealerships probably don't have any legal obligation to do anything to rectify this error but most do post annual profits and will be able to offer free VW merchandise to try and keep up customer satisfaction rates.
I got a free set of roof bars for my sharan just because they wanted the sale to go though in that month and it meant I wouldn't have my cherished plate on the vehicle when I picked it up.

Car dealerships probably don't have any legal obligation to do anything to rectify this error but most do post annual profits and will be able to offer free VW merchandise to try and keep up customer satisfaction rates.
I got a free set of roof bars for my sharan just because they wanted the sale to go though in that month and it meant I wouldn't have my cherished plate on the vehicle when I picked it up.

These California's are hot tickets due to the lead times. The dealership can't make you take it and you have the right to reject it. They may offer you compensation but are not obliged to. In the current demand outstripping supply situation, they know that they can resell that vehicle in a heartbeat and because it is a physical car, won't have to drop their pants on the price to a punter who wants one for this Summer.
Ultimately it is your choice, however I wouldn't personally be too hung up over 4WD. I would take the cheaper 2WD plus the compo and get out there and enjoy it!

Back