Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has a new Cali become just too expensive?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
No it hasn't. It has always been too expensive. Just all the safety/environmental features have given it a big boost. All those unneeded driver's aids, AdBlue, newer/complexer engines, that makes it a lot more expensive.
For the rest it's just same old 2003 Transporter. So it should have been less expensive.
Email from DtD this morning:-

We are sending this email as we have been informed that the on-the-road (OTR) list price of Volkswagen California models will increase by £1,056 on Thursday1st October 2020.
Due to the large volume of orders, we are taking at the moment, we recommend that you place your order by Tuesday 29th September to allow the dealer time to process your order.
Any orders placed before this date will be secured at the lower price.
Please visit www.drivethedeal.com to take an updated quote.
We have sent you this email because you have recently taken a quote for a Volkswagen California, we hope you have found it useful.
If you have recently ordered a new Volkswagen California through ourselves please disregard this email.
With best regards,
Broker Team

Yorkshire tyke

Yorkshire tyke

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I just paid £58k for a one year old ocean with every extra you could think of , and I’m very very pleased with it, money sitting in the bank doing nothing so enjoy it .
just to put it in to perspective first house cost £4000 in 1970,
second house with three acres of land £58k in 1985.
Mmm

Rexy99

Rexy99

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Woah there boy. That's a bold statement that you are going to have to elaborate on.
OK, so this was the journey (spread over 6 months so didn't have the outlay all in one go but neither did I need PSP...

Start with an 11 month old 7000 mile Highlight Kombi 150 (2+1 front seats was the one I wanted). All the driving luxuries (aircon, parking sensors, cruise control) plus proper VW sliding windows (I hate the aftermarket ones with recessed glass - just my OCD) and of course, the sliding door on the correct side for the UK. Cost £27k from a VW dealer with full service and warrantee. Put the back seats on Gumtree, £750 back 2 days later.

Add: A quality pop top roof with solar panel (Skyline in my case), full sound and thermal insulation, Eberspacher diesel heater, leather 3 seater (crash tested) RIB rear bed (2 seater also available), full furniture pack (in any colour you want - or wood effect), sink, 2 burner hob, underslung LPG gas (why would you want a gas bottle inside?!), water, 240V and 12V electrics, fridge, satnav + reversing camera, day time / night time dimmable interior spot lights and Bilstein adjustable suspension (optional!). Total (inc the van) = £40k. No problems with insurance, VW warrantee still intact and I'm pretty confident it will hold it's value.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cali (apart from the door being on the wrong side :cool: ), but I needed more than 4 seats for an every day van/car which could house the family. I must admit, I'm pretty chuffed with the value though.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
But would a Hymer hold it's value like a Cali?
An interesting question.

I have just specced a Hymer Ayres Rock, without pop top, £65k, and I very much doubt the residuals well even approach California territory.

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
OK, so this was the journey (spread over 6 months so didn't have the outlay all in one go but neither did I need PSP...

Start with an 11 month old 7000 mile Highlight Kombi 150 (2+1 front seats was the one I wanted). All the driving luxuries (aircon, parking sensors, cruise control) plus proper VW sliding windows (I hate the aftermarket ones with recessed glass - just my OCD) and of course, the sliding door on the correct side for the UK. Cost £27k from a VW dealer with full service and warrantee. Put the back seats on Gumtree, £750 back 2 days later.

Add: A quality pop top roof with solar panel (Skyline in my case), full sound and thermal insulation, Eberspacher diesel heater, leather 3 seater (crash tested) RIB rear bed (2 seater also available), full furniture pack (in any colour you want - or wood effect), sink, 2 burner hob, underslung LPG gas (why would you want a gas bottle inside?!), water, 240V and 12V electrics, fridge, satnav + reversing camera, day time / night time dimmable interior spot lights and Bilstein adjustable suspension (optional!). Total (inc the van) = £40k. No problems with insurance, VW warrantee still intact and I'm pretty confident it will hold it's value.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cali (apart from the door being on the wrong side :cool: ), but I needed more than 4 seats for an every day van/car which could house the family. I must admit, I'm pretty chuffed with the value though.
Ok, so I pulled you up because you’d said your T6 conversion had come in at “half the price of a Cali” which didn’t tally with other experiences documented here. It seems it doesn’t tally with reality either - as your 1 yr old 150 hp conversion cost £40k when post #142 shows a fully loaded 199hp Ocean of the same age cost £58k. Perhaps a standard 150 Ocean spec would have been £55k even in these mad times.

I know you aren’t knocking Cali’s, and I’m not knocking Conversions (I may well go a similar route with LWB and fit a high top and unique layout), but I expect it will cost me virtually Cali money (unless I go for a higher mileage donor van) and I wouldn’t expect it hold its value like a Cali.

Last edited:

VW California Club