Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a "Dock" camping kitchen?

Very impressive set up Borris. Is that a checklist of contents I see in photo 3?
Kelvin
I read "washing up box inventory"

Makes me want to see the preflight checklist in the cab. Maybe a few of those "remove before flight tabs" and a protocol for Mr & Mrs B to run through , acc:check , horn:check, kitkat:check....

Very impressive set up Borris. Is that a checklist of contents I see in photo 3?
Kelvin
Yes it is. I have one for each storage area in the van. There is also a master list in a folder kept in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat.

Why? Well every time we use the van stuff obviously gets used. Prior to having this system I found that not all of it was always returned to the van. Also some of it migrated to other storage areas in the van making it hard to find the next time it was needed. Also after a working career in the Fire Service I have been conditioned to cleaning and servicing everything after use and most importantly of all, checking it's present and correct. So let's just call it OCD.

Once I had decided what we actually needed in the van, I then set about deciding the most convenient storage location. This also involved grouping things into individual categories e.g kitchen equipment etc, hence the kitchen box. Anything that either wasn't used much or wasn't necessary was thrown overboard.

Once the stowage was settled, a full list of everything in each individual stowage area was compiled and typed up in alphabetical order. The lists were then checked before being encapsulated. It's now quick and easy to ammend a saved list on the computer.

As campervans are compact, space is always at a premium and organisation is IMO, the key to making the whole concept work well. These lists have been very useful for helping achieve that. It sounds regimented but in practice, once you have these lists, it makes things a lot easier.

Last edited:
I read "washing up box inventory"

Makes me want to see the preflight checklist in the cab. Maybe a few of those "remove before flight tabs" and a protocol for Mr & Mrs B to run through , acc:check , horn:check, kitkat:check....
It's me that has a touch of OCD. Mrs B's preflight check list includes seeing how many bags of knitting and other assorted handiwork projects she can stuff into the van. If there's any space left over it's usually filled by unstable orange plastic bags after we've been shopping for "essentials". It's not uncommon to have knitting needles and wayward balls of wool vying for space with my feet and the pedals whilst I'm driving. :headbang

It's me that has a touch of OCD. Mrs B's preflight check list includes seeing how many bags of knitting and other assorted handiwork projects she can stuff into the van. If there's any space left over it's usually filled by unstable orange plastic bags after we've been shopping for "essentials". It's not uncommon to have knitting needles and wayward balls of wool vying for space with my feet and the pedals whilst I'm driving. :headbang
LOL Brilliant

Yes it is. I have one for each storage area in the van. There is also a master list in a folder kept in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat.

Why? Well every time we use the van stuff obviously gets used. Prior to having this system I found that not all of it was always returned to the van. Also some of it migrated to other storage areas in the van making it hard to find the next time it was needed. Also after a working career in the Fire Service I have been conditioned to cleaning and servicing everything after use and most importantly of all, checking it's present and correct. So let's just call it OCD.

Once I had decided what we actually needed in the van, I then set about deciding the most convenient storage location. This also involved grouping things into individual categories e.g kitchen equipment etc, hence the kitchen box. Anything that either wasn't used much or wasn't necessary was thrown overboard.

Once the stowage was settled, a full list of everything in each individual stowage area was compiled and typed up in alphabetical order. The lists were then checked before being encapsulated. It's now quick and easy to ammend a saved list on the computer.

As campervans are compact, space is always at a premium and organisation is IMO, the key to making the whole concept work well. These lists have been very useful for helping achieve that. It sounds regimented but in practice, once you have these lists, it makes things a lot easier.
That’s us too Borris, we don’t see it as OCD but as the better organised we are, the easier and quicker the whole stowing / retrieving process is :thumb

As promised, here are some snaps of the Dock Model 1 camp kitchen set up inside our Beach. I can't see myself ever wanting to cook inside but for those of you that do, it shouldn't present any problems at all.

20200717_163552.jpg

Here it is set up under the near side window. Anyone sitting in the front and rear seats on that side have the stainless steel side shelves to park things on, that is if they aren't already in use for kitchen duties. Alternatively, you could position the kitchen across the vehicle behind the front seats.

The top compartment is where the stove resides when not in use. Any twin burner gas stove that fits could be easily used in the van on top of this camp kitchen.
20200717_163727.jpg
20200717_163705.jpg
20200717_155535.jpg
I bought the pasty and the Victoria sponge purely as props to illustrate this kitchen you understand. ;)
20200717_155317.jpg

However, we shall be using the following set up on the vast majority of occasions:
20200714_105848.jpg
It's safer, more convenient, less messy, doesn't restrict the passengers inside the vehicle, there're no space constraints and more to the point, it's more outdoorsy.

Last edited:
As promised, here are some snaps of the Dock Model 1 camp kitchen set up inside our Beach. I can't see myself ever wanting to cook inside but for those of you that do, it shouldn't present any problems at all.

View attachment 63013

Here it is set up under the near side window. Anyone sitting in the front and rear seats on that side have the stainless steel side shelves to park things on, that is if they aren't already in use for kitchen duties. Alternatively, you could position the kitchen across the vehicle behind the front seats.

The top compartment is where the stove resides when not in use. Any twin burner gas stove that fits could be easily used in the van on top of this camp kitchen.
View attachment 63015
View attachment 63016
View attachment 63017
I bought the pasty and the Victoria sponge purely as props to illustrate this kitchen you understand. ;)
View attachment 63018

However, we shall be using the following set up on the vast majority of occasions:
View attachment 63020
It's safer, more convenient, less messy, doesn't restrict the passengers inside the vehicle, there're no space constraints and more to the point, it's more outdoorsy.
Thanks Borris, it’s looks a impressive piece of kit and a great addition. We are still keen ourselves.

BRILLIANT. Thank you; I think the props look tasty, I mean, err very professional

Ok, I said I would do a review of our new Dock Model 1 Camping Kitchen so here it is. However, I would stress that I haven't yet had the chance to use it in anger but it is what it is and I doubt if there would be much to add if I had.

So after much deliberation I decided to purchase the Dock Model one. This version differs from the Model two in that it doesn't have the fold down Bamboo front which forms a very handy work surface. Instead the Model 1 has a smaller stainless steel shelf which clips on to the front of the unit. The Model 1 is cheaper than the Model 2 which is a bonus however my reason for choosing this version was that stainless steel needs no maintenance whereas the bamboo needs to be treated once a year with boiled linseed oil and I doubt if that would ever have got done.

The Dock Model 1 is a superb piece of kit but before I go into detail let me first get a couple of minor niggles out of the way:

1. Because the removable shelves are made up from cut and folded stainless steel sheet there is the impression that they have sharp edges. Yes they do feel quite sharp but after handling them for some time I don't think they are likely to cause anyone an injury. A quick whip round with a small file might help but it doesn't bother me enough to do that.
2. The Model 1 has three stainless steel clip on shelves. When stowed away these shelves fit into the front opening of the kitchen by loosely interlocking together and are prevented from falling out but having the stand placed over the unit. This is a good design but these shelves don't fit in very positive manner. They can move about quite a bit so have the potential to cause rattles. Having said that we haven't had any to date. It would just be nice to see a more secure fixing method employed.

Having highlighted these minor points the rest is all good.

When set up it provides an excellent work surface at a perfect working height. The previous photos of it set up inside the van illustrate this well. Here's a reminder:
20200717_163552.jpg
By comparison, the area of usable work surface is broadly similar to that of an SE/Ocean without the fridge worktop. However with this item you can sit where that fridge would be. The clip on stainless steel shelves provide handy firm and durable wipe clean work surfaces. The unit can be used anywhere on top of the stand or in our case, used whilst in situ on the pull out boot tray. We will probably use the stand to park the CFX 35 fridge on when set up at the back of our van.
20200718_104447.jpg
By removing the fridge the large pull out cutlery drawer can be used to it's full extent within the Calicap pull out tray.
20200714_105848.jpg
The stand on it's own also makes a very nice coffee table. Also the whole kitchen would be ideal for use at BBQs

Returning to the cutlery drawer, it's huge and will take all sorts of useful kitchen tools and cutlery. It's well made and looks fantastic too. This pleasing to look at Bamboo drawer slides on large heavy duty metal extending drawer runners and closes with a satisfying positivity.

The internal space is divided into three compartments. The top one is a cooking stove storage compartment. The space it offers is quite generous. At the moment we are storing our Number 12 ex army liquid fuel single burner stove and cooking pots and pans in there. We also have a single burner Campingaz stove stored in the separate kitchen box. With this set up we wouldn't be stuck if we run out of gas. The stove situation is under review though.
20200718_103551.jpg
Someone previously asked about how we stow our pots and pans.
20200718_103721.jpg20200718_103859.jpg Like Russian Dolls they all fit inside each other. Inside the smallest pot are salt and pepper grinders and two egg cups. The whole thing doesn't rattle as they are packed with tea towels.

The lower half of the storage is split in two by a dividing wall. There is adequate space to store pots and pans, crockery etc to suit your needs. We have tea, coffee etc in click top boxes as well.

The unit is topped off by a large beautifully finished removable bamboo worktop. Flip it over and it has a grove around the edge which helps it to locate on the rim if the kitchen. It could be useful for catching juices if being used it to carve cooked meets on. I'll be using a chopping board instead though as it would be a shame to spoil it.

The whole thing is quite heavy when full but there are two very well made carrying handles to lift it.

So is it well made? Yes it is so unless you badly mistreat it, your Dock kitchen should last a lifetime without issue .The materials used are top quality and the compact design has been very well thought out. Finally, not only is it very practical but it looks very cool as well. So IMO it's a perfect enhancement to the already über cool Beach.

If you fancy one then get in touch with Hans by Email. The details are on their website. Their kitchens are hand made in small numbers (hence the price), so they may not have them on the shelf. Hans is a very nice chap to deal with and was very efficient in dealing with my order. Once despatched it arrived very quickly and was very well packaged. If you have any questions then contact him. I found him to be very helpful.

Last edited:
So after a week of waiting our Model 2 Dock kitchen arrived this afternoon. First impressions the same as Borris well packaged and all closing mechanisms are reassuringly firm. Nothing is going to fly open by accident! While it is empty it is very light and easy to move about. We have the 2 seater Beach so it won’t fit in the boot but does sit nicely behind the passenger seat and on top of the storage box. We haven’t quite figured out how to store the side shelves inside, with the bamboo hatch we aren’t sure if they store the same way as the Model 1.
I’m probably going to spend the rest of the day messing about packing it with kitchen stuff.

A80F35A9-977F-4F77-A371-462EF6385C83.jpeg

06205321-A94B-4516-A8BD-7FD97286E4C2.jpeg

5726E40D-39CD-4F04-9E10-0C3A2D35D7EF.jpeg

7103BC94-FD5A-48C6-994B-9F4E77FC72AC.jpeg

5EC4456D-A026-4189-B2EB-0899C90E6E20.jpeg

So after a week of waiting our Model 2 Dock kitchen arrived this afternoon. First impressions the same as Borris well packaged and all closing mechanisms are reassuringly firm. Nothing is going to fly open by accident! While it is empty it is very light and easy to move about. We have the 2 seater Beach so it won’t fit in the boot but does sit nicely behind the passenger seat and on top of the storage box. We haven’t quite figured out how to store the side shelves inside, with the bamboo hatch we aren’t sure if they store the same way as the Model 1.
I’m probably going to spend the rest of the day messing about packing it with kitchen stuff.

View attachment 63048

View attachment 63049

View attachment 63050

View attachment 63051

View attachment 63052
That looks great- would be interested in how you get on as I also have 2 seat beach

First attempt at packing it and I’m impressed at how much it will swallow! So far the only things that don’t fit are my plastic wine glasses (I’ll manage without them!) and a large bread knife because it is too long to fit in the drawer. Everything else I had in my kitchen box has gone in no problem along with a single burner stove and an Etta Primus. Needs 2 of us to lift it now. It will also need a bit of tidying up, but not a bad start.

0487559F-3841-43B7-A303-DF458DC37F89.jpeg

9E40D173-38A0-4295-B828-AD53647D534F.jpeg

20EA62BA-A194-4197-BEDA-CDB4335B86BC.jpeg

Ok, I said I would do a review of our new Dock Model 1 Camping Kitchen so here it is. However, I would stress that I haven't yet had the chance to use it in anger but it is what it is and I doubt if there would be much to add if I had.

So after much deliberation I decided to purchase the Dock Model one. This version differs from the Model two in that it doesn't have the fold down Bamboo front which forms a very handy work surface. Instead the Model 1 has a smaller stainless steel shelf which clips on to the front of the unit. The Model 1 is cheaper than the Model 2 which is a bonus however my reason for choosing this version was that stainless steel needs no maintenance whereas the bamboo needs to be treated once a year with boiled linseed oil and I doubt if that would ever have got done.

The Dock Model 1 is a superb piece of kit but before I go into detail let me first get a couple of minor niggles out of the way:

1. Because the removable shelves are made up from cut and folded stainless steel sheet there is the impression that they have sharp edges. Yes they do feel quite sharp but after handling them for some time I don't think they are likely to cause anyone an injury. A quick whip round with a small file might help but it doesn't bother me enough to do that.
2. The Model 1 has three stainless steel clip on shelves. When stowed away these shelves fit into the front opening of the kitchen by loosely interlocking together and are prevented from falling out but having the stand placed over the unit. This is a good design but these shelves don't fit in very positive manner. They can move about quite a bit so have the potential to cause rattles. Having said that we haven't had any to date. It would just be nice to see a more secure fixing method employed.

Having highlighted these minor points the rest is all good.

When set up it provides an excellent work surface at a perfect working height. The previous photos of it set up inside the van illustrate this well. Here's a reminder:
View attachment 63036
By comparison, the area of usable work surface is broadly similar to that of an SE/Ocean without the fridge worktop. However with this item you can sit where that fridge would be. The clip on stainless steel shelves provide handy firm and durable wipe clean work surfaces. The unit can be used anywhere on top of the stand or in our case, used whilst in situ on the pull out boot tray. We will probably use the stand to park the CFX 35 fridge on when set up at the back of our van.
View attachment 63035
By removing the fridge the large pull out cutlery drawer can be used to it's full extent within the Calicap pull out tray.
View attachment 63031
The stand on it's own also makes a very nice coffee table. Also the whole kitchen would be ideal for use at BBQs

Returning to the cutlery drawer, it's huge and will take all sorts of useful kitchen tools and cutlery. It's well made and looks fantastic too. This pleasing to look at Bamboo drawer slides on large heavy duty metal extending drawer runners and closes with a satisfying positivity.

The internal space is divided into three compartments. The top one is a cooking stove storage compartment. The space it offers is quite generous. At the moment we are storing our Number 12 ex army liquid fuel single burner stove and cooking pots and pans in there. We also have a single burner Campingaz stove stored in the separate kitchen box. With this set up we wouldn't be stuck if we run out of gas. The stove situation is under review though.
View attachment 63032
Someone previously asked about how we stow our pots and pans.
View attachment 63033View attachment 63034 Like Russian Dolls they all fit inside each other. Inside the smallest pot are salt and pepper grinders and two egg cups. The whole thing doesn't rattle as they are packed with tea towels.

The lower half of the storage is split in two by a dividing wall. There is adequate space to store pots and pans, crockery etc to suit your needs. We have tea, coffee etc in click top boxes as well.

The unit is topped off by a large beautifully finished removable bamboo worktop. Flip it over and it has a grove around the edge which helps it to locate on the rim if the kitchen. It could be useful for catching juices if being used it to carve cooked meets on. I'yll be using a chopping board instead though as it would be a shame to spoil it.

The whole thing is quite heavy when full but there are two very well made carrying handles to lift it.

So is it well made? Yes it is so unless you badly mistreat it, your Dock kitchen should last a lifetime without issue .The materials used are top quality and the compact design has been very well thought out. Finally, not only is it very practical but it looks very cool as well. So IMO it's a perfect enhancement to the already über cool Beach.

If you fancy one then get in touch with Hans by Email. The details are on their website. Their kitchens are hand made in small numbers (hence the price), so they may not have them on the shelf. Hans is a very nice chap to deal with and was very efficient in dealing with my order. Once despatched it arrived very quickly and was very well packaged. If you have any questions then contact him. I found him to be very helpful.
Thank you Borris great comprehensive review.

First attempt at packing it and I’m impressed at how much it will swallow! So far the only things that don’t fit are my plastic wine glasses (I’ll manage without them!) and a large bread knife because it is too long to fit in the drawer. Everything else I had in my kitchen box has gone in no problem along with a single burner stove and an Etta Primus. Needs 2 of us to lift it now. It will also need a bit of tidying up, but not a bad start.

View attachment 63054

View attachment 63055

View attachment 63056
I had a similar issue with our bread knife. I quietly swopped it with the one from our kitchen and for about thirty nano seconds I thought I'd got away with it.

What's all this about Plastic wine glasses? Standards must be maintained you know. Seriously we usually have a couple of nice wine glasses wrapped up in a tea towel inside a click top box but since that takes up too much valuable space we are going all continental and changing to peasantesque glass tumblers. Anyway being Kentish peasants they are what we normally use at home unless we are "hentertaining".

I had a similar issue with our bread knife. I quietly swopped it with the one from our kitchen and for about thirty nano seconds I thought I'd got away with it.

What's all this about Plastic wine glasses? Standards must be maintained you know. Seriously we usually have a couple of nice wine glasses wrapped up in a tea towel inside a click top box but since that takes up too much valuable space we are going all continental and changing to peasantesque glass tumblers. Anyway being Kentish peasants they are what we normally use at home unless we are "hentertaining".
I’m with you on the glass tumbler approach for wine, less chance of spills and no awkward stems to deal with. I now have a couple of all purpose metal tumblers that are kind of insulated and keep white wine chilled longer. They also have measures on the inside so you can gage how much is a glass (but who’s really counting). My OH is happy with a tin mug for his red wine :)

We are thinking of visiting Kent for the first time this summer. Any recommendations of where to stay/visit?

View attachment 63048

View attachment 63049

View attachment 63050

View attachment 63051

View attachment 63052
Thanks for sharing. It looks a good fit behind the passenger seat. We currently transport our fridge there so you’ve made us think of how we would need to configure following a purchase. We are interested to hear how you find using it. Enjoy.

I’m with you on the glass tumbler approach for wine, less chance of spills and no awkward stems to deal with. I now have a couple of all purpose metal tumblers that are kind of insulated and keep white wine chilled longer. They also have measures on the inside so you can gage how much is a glass (but who’s really counting). My OH is happy with a tin mug for his red wine :)

We are thinking of visiting Kent for the first time this summer. Any recommendations of where to stay/visit?
Kent is a big county. What area will you be visiting and what are interested in? I will put my thinking cap on.

Thanks for sharing. It looks a good fit behind the passenger seat. We currently transport our fridge there so you’ve made us think of how we would need to configure following a purchase. We are interested to hear how you find using it. Enjoy.
We did think about putting it on the multi flex shelf but after reading a thread in here about the dangers of putting anything heavy there in the event of a crash decided very quickly against that! Can I ask how you secure your fridge? We will definitely need to secure the Dock so it doesn’t move about.

I agree, a pair of nice stemmed wine glasses, which nest side by side rolled up in a thin piece of foam. Standards must be maintained.

We did think about putting it on the multi flex shelf but after reading a thread in here about the dangers of putting anything heavy there in the event of a crash decided very quickly against that! Can I ask how you secure your fridge? We will definitely need to secure the Dock so it doesn’t move about.
We have a Dometic 35 so it’s quite big, we double lash it to the floor, it stays there securely, has never moved in transit.

Back