Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a "Dock" camping kitchen?

Kent is a big county. What area will you be visiting and what are interested in? I will put my thinking cap on.
I read an article about the coast line near Dungeness that made it sound interesting. But then I’ve never been to Canterbury and am a bit of a history nerd. We’ll be travelling from visiting relatives in mid-Wales.

I read an article about the coast line near Dungeness that made it sound interesting. But then I’ve never been to Canterbury and am a bit of a history nerd. We’ll be travelling from visiting relatives in mid-Wales.

dungeness very interesting and worth a trip

Where to start?
Dungerness is a sort of marmite place. I use have an uncle that had a holiday home there. It consisted on a early twentieth century 3rd class railway carriage which he had converted into a smashing little place on the shingle. Many of the homes were originally formed in this manner and remain there to this day. In the early days Dungerness was a very quiet isolated fishing community. Unfortunately, these days the skyline is dominated by the two huge nuclear power stations which whilst ugly do provide much needed employment. The nearby coast has over the years also seen ribbon housing development. Never the less it's well worth a visit as it certainly has a charm all of it's own. If you like fish and chips then head for the Pilot pub. They serve the best (locally caught) fish and chips but don't go for a large portion, you'll never be able to finnish it! Best to book ahead.

Whilst in the area I recommend a visit to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway depot at Dymchurch. This narrow gauge mainline steam railway is a fantastic jewel of a railway that has been a local feature since the 1920's. You could even take the train from there to Dungerness.

I also recommend a picnic in the heart of the Romney Marsh. On a summers day there is nothing like the peace and quite of the marsh, the place of my ancestors. The Romney Marsh is famous for two things: smuggling and sheep and is covered in tiny single track lanes. So finding a suitable spot shouldn't be difficult.

I can also highly recommend visiting Dover. This military town has always been the gateway to Britain so has seen more than it's fair share of action over the centuries. During WW2 it was known as Hellfire corner. One reason for this was that the Nazis could and did hit Dover with their heavy long range guns. Several thousand heavy shells caused much damage and lots of casualties over this period. Dover is steeped in history but for the biggest fix without doing do much homework, head for the Castle. You can't miss it. It's humongous. It's current form was built by Henry 2nd at truly colossal expense and it dominates this port. The underground hospital and wartime tunnels are also well worth a look. Whilst in Dover you must visit the National Trusts White Cliffs site. Once in the site which overlooks the docks and channel, head for the highest car parking level. The views from there are superb. The site use to be a military prison but is now performing a much better role.

The Queen Mum's old gaff at Walmer Castle when she was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports makes a jolly good visit. Lovely house with beautiful gardens to walk and picnic in.

Canterbury is a wonderful city which is very popular with tourists in normal times. It has a disproportionately large student population for such a small city. With three Universities and a Japanese College the 40,000 plus students that usually throng the cafe's and bars make it a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. Again in the last little while after many centuries of peaceful existence, this World Heritage Site has suffered firstly from the Luftwaffe and then from the Town Planers who in my opinion have done and continue to do far more damage. Still it remains a great place to visit and stroll around. The big church in the middle is I believe free to visit if you go in before 9am after that they will be out to get your money. The Cathedral is free if you attend services and if it's possible I recommend Evensong.

There are many other attractions in Kent so if I can be of any further assistance please ask.

Last edited:
Where to start?
Dungerness is a sort of marmite place. I use have an uncle that had a holiday home there. It consisted on a early twentieth century 3rd class railway carriage which he had converted into a smashing little place on the shingle. Many of the homes were originally formed in this manner and remain there to this day. In the early days Dungerness was a very quiet isolated fishing community. Unfortunately, these days the skyline is dominated by the two huge nuclear power stations which whilst ugly do provide much needed employment. The nearby coast has over the years also seen ribbon housing development. Never the less it's well worth a visit as it certainly has a charm all of it's own. If you like fish and chips then head for the Pilot pub. They serve the best (locally caught) fish and chips but don't go for a large portion, you'll never be able to finnish it! Best to book ahead.

Whilst in the area I recommend a visit to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway depot at Dymchurch. This narrow gauge mainline steam railway is a fantastic jewel of a railway that has been a local feature since the 1920's. You could even take the train from there to Dungerness.

I also recommend a picnic in the heart of the Romney Marsh. On a summers day there is nothing like the peace and quite of the marsh, the place of my ancestors. The Romney Marsh is famous for two things: smuggling and sheep and is covered in tiny single track lanes. So finding a suitable spot shouldn't be difficult.

I can also highly recommend visiting Dover. This military town has always been the gateway to Britain so has seen more than it's fair share of action over the centuries. During WW2 it was known as Hellfire corner. One reason for this was that the Nazis could and did hit Dover with their heavy long range guns. Several thousand heavy shells caused much damage and lots of casualties over this period. Dover is steeped in history but for the biggest fix without doing do much homework, head for the Castle. You can't miss it. It's humongous. It's current form was built by Henry 2nd at truly colossal expense and it dominates this port. The underground hospital and wartime tunnels are also well worth a look. Whilst in Dover you must visit the National Trusts White Cliffs site. Once in the site which overlooks the docks and channel, head for the highest car parking level. The views from there are superb. The site use to be a military prison but is now performing a much better role.

The Queen Mum's old gaff at Walmer Castle when she was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports makes a jolly good visit. Lovely house with beautiful gardens to walk and picnic in.

Canterbury is a wonderful city which is very popular with tourists in normal times. It has a disproportionately large student population for such a small city. With three Universities and a Japanese College the 40,000 plus students that usually throng the cafe's and bars make it a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. Again in the last little while after many centuries of peaceful existence, this World Heritage Site has suffered firstly from the Luftwaffe and then from the Town Planers who in my opinion have done and continue to do far more damage. Still it remains a great place to visit and stroll around. The big church in the middle is I believe free to visit if you go in before 9am after that they will be out to get your money. The Cathedral is free if you attend services and if it's possible I recommend Evensong.

There are many other attractions in Kent so if I can be of any further assistance please ask.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply. You have given me much food for thought! Next step will be getting the maps out and looking at routes and places to camp. Let’s hope there are still some vacancies to be had.

@Borris have you bought one yet?
He's posted a very extensive review above after getting it.

He's posted a very extensive review above after getting it.
Thanks, just what we needed was a bookmark :)

At 8 pages I lost the will after a couple, now on my way back to the start... :)

Last edited:
these guys also have some nice things

these guys also have some nice things
Wow. Eye-watering price!

This looks great. I switched to the Beach @Borris old one in fact, due to rarely cooking in the SE and only needing the fridge sometimes but often wanting more space for mtb and other day van type stuff. Strangely the one downside I have found is I (wrongly assumed) the bed was the same height and it sometimes frustrates me to sit and have to bend my head to get changed when I've stealth slept but not swivelled the front seat (1st world problems eh)

But to the point... this looks like what I was after in many ways an option that can also serve as storage and a table both in and outside the van for those times I do want to cook.
In normal times thats rare. Right now could be more often!

Another thing is I've been looking at a small table for inside to sit on the rail to use when just me a two of us and this would solve that is stored behind the passenger seat. Of course its a very expensive way to get a table but for a cup of coffee/tea its a simple flip open, put burner on top and crack on absolutely ideal. In fact i think it obviates the need for my other consideration which was a Vangear style nano. Kinda suits the flexibility of the beach in that way! I may commit! Model 1 or model 2 though..

Last edited:
This looks great. I switched to the Beach @Borris old one in fact, due to rarely cooking in the SE and only needing the fridge sometimes but often wanting more space for mtb and other day van type stuff. Strangely the one downside I have found is I (wrongly assumed) the bed was the same height and it sometimes frustrates me to sit and have to bend my head to get changed when I've stealth slept but not swivelled the front seat (1st world problems eh)

But to the point... this looks like what I was after in many ways an option that can also serve as storage and a table both in and outside the van for those times I do want to cook.
In normal times thats rare. Right now could be more often!

Another thing is I've been looking at a small table for inside to sit on the rail to use when just me a two of us and this would solve that is stored behind the passenger seat. Of course its a very expensive way to get a table but for a cup of coffee/tea its a simple flip open, put burner on top and crack on absolutely ideal. In fact i think it obviates the need for my other consideration which was a Vangear style nano. Kinda suits the flexibility of the beach in that way! I may commit! Model 1 or model 2 though..
Hello Phil,
How are you getting on with Bluebell?

Hello Phil,
How are you getting on with Bluebell?

Hello @Borris not out as much as hoped for obvious reasons but also due to work and less biking as I need a new hip but all good with the Beach.

No issues so far, nice to drive, haven’t solved the behind the right ear knock yet. It’s not the awning, I don’t believe it’s the door or table, keep meaning to check the roof scissor, saw a thread this could cause a referred knocking noise fixed with a piece of heli tape - but in reality it’s a non issue!
Cali cap is great as are the boxes and I don’t mind either the manual or the uncomfortable dash at all.

Things I’d like to change - lights for LED BUT at £4K I’m struggling as it’s only the dip and I don’t drive that much at night! Maybe the £500 H7s!

I’ll probably grab some winter steelies.

So, basically yes, very happy, need to get out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello @Borris not out as much as hoped for obvious reasons but also due to work and less biking as I need a new hip but all good with the Beach.

No issues so far, nice to drive, haven’t solved the behind the right ear knock yet. It’s not the awning, I don’t believe it’s the door or table, keep meaning to check the roof scissor, saw a thread this could cause a referred knocking noise fixed with a piece of heli tape - but in reality it’s a non issue!
Cali cap is great as are the boxes and I don’t mind either the manual or the uncomfortable dash at all.

Things I’d like to change - lights for LED BUT at £4K I’m struggling as it’s only the dip and I don’t drive that much at night! Maybe the £500 H7s!

I’ll probably grab some winter steelies.

So, basically yes, very happy, need to get out there!

I agree. We need to get out there as well. It's not been a good year for getting out there so far.

I loved the standard dash. Much more practical than the Comfort dash and I found the manual box a sweet unit as well.That rattle foxed me despite numerous attempts to sort it out. In the end I just got used to it. After trying all sorts of fixes I felt it was most likely coming from the inside of the B post.

The headlights were another matter. I would think that you would find the H7s much better. I had them on our SE and they were just fine.

Best wishes
Paul

I agree. We need to get out there as well. It's not been a good year for getting out there so far.

I loved the standard dash. Much more practical than the Comfort dash and I found the manual box a sweet unit as well.That rattle foxed me despite numerous attempts to sort it out. In the end I just got used to it. After trying all sorts of fixes I felt it was most likely coming from the inside of the B post.

The headlights were another matter. I would think that you would find the H7s much better. I had them on our SE and they were just fine.

Best wishes
Paul

Cheers. It’s only the dip with the lights. Main is fine with the upgraded bulbs.
I rarely notice the knock.

Overall the Beach is spot on

Now looking forward to an email from Hans!

Now looking forward to an email from Hans!

We are keen on the Dock, slightly favouring model 2 at the moment. We will be interested to hear what you decide.

We are keen on the Dock, slightly favouring model 2 at the moment. We will be interested to hear what you decide.

Slightly favouring Model 1 here but for no particular reason.

Slightly favouring Model 1 here but for no particular reason.

Been trying to PM you but unable to, could you PM me please then hopefully it will allow me to reply, thanks.

Thanks got all the pictures and information. I ordered the Dock this week. Can’t wait for it to arrive!!

Thanks got all the pictures and information. I ordered the Dock this week. Can’t wait for it to arrive!!
I'll be interested to here how it worked with the tax etc when it arrives. Wish I had bought one last year!

How are you getting on with your Dock Kitchens?

Hi @Borris & others— how are you getting on with your Dock? I\m interested….

wonder if & how would fit in my 2-seat Beach (T 6.0) …. Won’t go under the ‘multiflex’ at the back

Last edited:
Hi @Borris & others— how are you getting on with your Dock? I\m interested….

wonder if & how would fit in my 2-seat Beach (T 6.0) …. Won’t go under the ‘multiflex’ at the back
Hello kp64zl,
As you may be aware we have the Dock Camp kitchen model one. I chose the Model 1 because it doesn't have the drop down bamboo front flap. There's nothing wrong with that except it requires a coat of boiled linseed oil periodically. I went for the full stainless steel model one for a more durable and maintenance free unit. Note: The Model one does of course still have a very nice Bamboo work surface board on the top. You get that with either model.

We are delighted with how practical it is as well as how wonderful it looks and of course last but not least, it's bomb proof build quality. The whole unit is compact but opens up to form a very useful camp kitchen with plenty of storage and three useful attachable shelves/worksurfaces for both sides and the front of the unit.

The four legged stand lifts off to provide a sturdy platform for wherever the kitchen is set up. We often use it at the rear of our van for picnics etc and use the stand to park our Waeco Dometic CFX35 fridge/freezer on whilst leaving the Dock kitchen in situe on the locked extended pull out tray. With this set up you dont need to move the Dock kitchen as it functions perfectly from the elevated and extended boot tray. The drawer can be fully opened across the boot tray and all shelves fit pefectly. Alternatively the lift off stand makes a great coffee table.

The Dock kitchen can be set up anywhere you like even inside your van. I'm sure you've seen the photos I posted previously showing it set up both outside and inside the van.

To answer your question, I agree in that I'm pretty certain it won't fit under the multiflex in your two seat bench Beach. I'd measure it to confim that but I'm not at home at present so can't. Still the diamensions are stated on the Dock web site. So if that's the case you would either have to carry it on top of the Multiflex or inside. If it's the latter, the obvious place would be behind the drivers seat. You'd just need to strap it down securely for transit.

Both models are designed to house a camp cooker in the top storage department. However most twin burner cookers won't fit as they are usually too wide. The Dock web site blurb states that a Coleman 424 petrol twin burner stove will fit as will a Partner 18" twin burner. The trouble is that the Coleman burns unleaded petrol which is not what I want to do and the Partner stove is unobtainable at present. Also as far as I can establish is is not designed to run on Campingaz. But never mind as Hans at Dock is in the final stages of producing a Dock twin burner stove to suit both models. It promisses to be a great stove and I am making do with a pair of single burner Campingaz stoves until I can get my hands on one.

In short, IMO the Dock Camping kitchen in either form is a quality product that will last a life time. It's both well made and practical. It is well worth considerng. :thumb

Last edited:
Back