Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater 7VL - user instructions?

P

Peter Jennings

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have recently bought a new T6 LHD Cali Beach, which is now back at home in Salisbury. Its got a heater with code 7VL which I hope is a night heater - the Austrian dealer said it was anyway. I can't work out how to use it as the manual is in German and the UK VW say that they can't provide an English manual for a LHD veh!? I wonder if anyone has or could send me an electronic copy of the heater page for the 7VL heater? Thanks

7VL is a water heater, used in winter to help the engine to reach a working temperature quickly and consequently warm up the interior of the van faster. So it is not a proper night heater ("air heater") and there are no controls, it turns on automatically when you ignite the engine and when the temperature is below 8C. My California has both - water and air heaters installed, and only the air heater is controlled via the control panel.
I would suggest to invest and retrofit a proper night heater - it is probably the most important feature for 4 seasons use of the van.
And here is the explanation of both air and water heaters:
http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/light-duty-vehicles/heating-systems/

Best, B.

We have recently bought a new T6 LHD Cali Beach, which is now back at home in Salisbury. Its got a heater with code 7VL which I hope is a night heater - the Austrian dealer said it was anyway. I can't work out how to use it as the manual is in German and the UK VW say that they can't provide an English manual for a LHD veh!? I wonder if anyone has or could send me an electronic copy of the heater page for the 7VL heater? Thanks
I think your Austrian Dealer does not seem to be very knowledgeable.

Water heater
http://teile.club/volkswagen/teile....yp=871&dir_name=R&hg_ug=819&bildtafel2=819070

Parking Heater
http://teile.club/volkswagen/teile....yp=871&dir_name=R&hg_ug=819&bildtafel2=819065
http://teile.club/volkswagen/teile....yp=871&dir_name=R&hg_ug=819&bildtafel2=819055

Stealers er sorry dealers no matter what nationality will say anything to clinch a deal imo.

In a beach if you have a parking heater you will vents in the b pillar at the bottom by the sliding door opening and a control panel behind the front courtesy lights above the dash. If these are not there then no night heater is fitted.

Last edited:
You can get a remote to run the aux/water heater for a short time in the van, so it could be used as a heater with this option.

Without the remote it just comes on when the temp is below 5c.

You can get a remote to run the aux/water heater for a short time in the van, so it could be used as a heater with this option.

Without the remote it just comes on when the temp is below 5c.

Thanks for that. I do have a remote but only seems to switch on heater for 30 mins for 30 mins. I wonder if it can be used for multiple 30 mins if necessary? In any case, does it come on automatically when temp goes below 5 degrees C? If so, that should be fine tbh.

In a beach if you have a parking heater you will vents in the b pillar at the bottom by the sliding door opening and a control panel behind the front courtesy lights above the dash. If these are not there then no night heater is fitted.

Thanks. I have the vents by the B pillar and the control panel you describe but the heater seems to be limited to 30 mins. I hope i can switch it on for multiple 30 mins.

7VL is a water heater, used in winter to help the engine to reach a working temperature quickly and consequently warm up the interior of the van faster. So it is not a proper night heater ("air heater") and there are no controls, it turns on automatically when you ignite the engine and when the temperature is below 8C. My California has both - water and air heaters installed, and only the air heater is controlled via the control panel.
I would suggest to invest and retrofit a proper night heater - it is probably the most important feature for 4 seasons use of the van.
And here is the explanation of both air and water heaters:
http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/light-duty-vehicles/heating-systems/

Best, B.
Thanks. I hope that my heater is good enough but if not i will look at adding the air heater. I wonder roughly how much that might cost?

Thanks. I hope that my heater is good enough but if not i will look at adding the air heater. I wonder roughly how much that might cost?
If you plan on winter camping then you will probably require the Parking Heater which can be used overnight. The one you have fitted is basically to warm the engine up and allow the internal heater to function sooner on cold mornings.

I think a retrofit would cost between ÂŁ1500 to ÂŁ2000 depending on if you used OEM VW parts or not.

Thanks. I have the vents by the B pillar and the control panel you describe but the heater seems to be limited to 30 mins. I hope i can switch it on for multiple 30 mins.
If you have these then you have the parking heater. If you have just the engine water heater their are no internal visible signs its fitted. My beach has a parking heater but the code for it is not listed on the build sticker on the seat - maybe yours is the same. The run time for the heater is adjustable from the above dash control panel from 15min to continuous.

I believe the water heater feeds from the vehicle battery (not leisure battery) hence it is restricted to 30 minutes to avoid flattening the battery. However the vents you describe are confusing. :) It may be worth investigating further.

You should be able to use it again after 30mins but be careful of your starter battery if it is indeed the water aux heater.

Correct it is powered from starter battery so if run for any a long time it risks flatening the battery.

If you have these then you have the parking heater. If you have just the engine water heater their are no internal visible signs its fitted. My beach has a parking heater but the code for it is not listed on the build sticker on the seat - maybe yours is the same. The run time for the heater is adjustable from the above dash control panel from 15min to continuous.
Thanks for that. I wonder if my spec is slightly different being a LHD. Looks like I may have water heater but with vents in the B pillars and with the control panel by the mirror. Still confused tbh.

I believe the water heater feeds from the vehicle battery (not leisure battery) hence it is restricted to 30 minutes to avoid flattening the battery. However the vents you describe are confusing. :) It may be worth investigating further.

You should be able to use it again after 30mins but be careful of your starter battery if it is indeed the water aux heater.
Yea I am confused tbh. I may have to call the seller in Austria to clarify. Btw I notice that you have a solar system. Is it worth getting?