Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! All four 12V sockets in rear not working

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
There must be a main +12V source that is not connected, as I read in your posts. One that feeds all the fuses that don't give you +12V. Maybe after fitting the towbar electrics there was something not fixed good?
They must search a common connection between all the things not working.
When did the problems start? After something was done to your van, or at least in a small period of time there after?
I agree... but I keep getting told they’ve checked everything... then for the first time today they tell me the fuses aren’t the originals... I’m in despair as I don’t trust them at all based on previous experience - and they have refused to document precisely what they are doing now (despite multiple emails and calls). So I am just resigned to another case of CW Customer services, maybe a lawyer and likely selling my beloved Cali as I can’t keep dealing with these scumbags... sorry for my language.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
You are forgiven.

I think I can understand what you must be going through, but I certainly wouldn't sell the van for that.
As I know a lot about electrics and electronics, I would start searching myself, but I don't know your background, and it probably isn't electronics.
Don't you know someone with that background? In fact, a car is "just" a battery, a switch and a consumer(?).
So anyone with electronic background could help you out, if they can find a way to get to all the needed components (under the seats left and right, where the battery and the fuses are.)

I could give it a go, but as I am 1200km away from you, it's a bit hard.

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
You are forgiven.

I think I can understand what you must be going through, but I certainly wouldn't sell the van for that.
As I know a lot about electrics and electronics, I would start searching myself, but I don't know your background, and it probably isn't electronics.
Don't you know someone with that background? In fact, a car is "just" a battery, a switch and a consumer(?).
So anyone with electronic background could help you out, if they can find a way to get to all the needed components (under the seats left and right, where the battery and the fuses are.)

I could give it a go, but as I am 1200km away from you, it's a bit hard.
I’m an engineer and so electrics aren’t beyond me. But, (a) am not practical and (b) have deliberately not touched the van as I know these guys will blame everything on me. So my conscience is clear that I couldn’t have inadvertently done something and (c) most importantly for me, why the hell did I pay £50-60k for a vehicle, and the extended warranty, to be treated like a criminal by the garage that sold it to me...
Thank you for the support. Much appreciated.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Are there other things not working? Fridge, aux heater, 220V internal socket (inverter) in the left B pillar, inner lights, ...
It must be or a 12V problem, or a ground problem.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Well, I am just a bachelor in electronics, and I try to repair electrical and electronical stuff in my free time.
All good for standing to your point, but it seems like you will be dealing with your problem for a long time.
When you or someone else could find the problem and solve it the original way, then no one could blame you for further problems you didn't cause. Once you start cutting and bypassing, then they are right to void your warranty, but if it would just be a loosened screw, then I would not hesitate to fix it. Then no one would see who fixed it, so no reason to void your warranty.
I'd rather fix things myself than having to wait, or go to court for maybe just a simple thing.

But as said, I think I can understand what you are going through as I have found myself in a similar position before, but not on my van.
If it was something of €20 I wouldn't bother throwing it away and buying something new, but this is times 3000, so well worth getting it solved.
I can only wish you the very best of luck in your quest for a solution.

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Are there other things not working? Fridge, aux heater, 220V internal socket (inverter) in the left B pillar, inner lights, ...
It must be or a 12V problem, or a ground problem.
Everything else is working

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’m giving up the will to live. Two very easily small warranty issues they want to charge for. I’m passed making an issue over that.
This afternoon, finally, they have taken the seats out and are looking for where the tow bar electrics were installed - which is what I had suggested earlier.
I had booked it for 2 days as need it tomorrow. Reminded them around 3pm and asked if they could give a detailed break down of costs before delivering it back (as was told firmly last night I won’t get van back until I pay for work done, despite dispute over warranty etc)... I’ve had no reply at all. So have emailed and asked what they have in mind for me for transporting 4 dogs tomorrow...
You simply cannot imagine this stuff...
Any arguments on items not under warranty ate likely to be lost under compensation. Just as my last experience.
I’d much prefer to pay the bill outright for good service, like I do with my 9 year old Renault Megane. Brilliant service with those guys up here...

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I once had part or the end of a 12v charger come off and fall into the 12v socket. This shorted out the 12v sockets. Could you try a magnet in them? Also how do they know the fuses aren't original. When you change a fuse they are the same surely?

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I once had part or the end of a 12v charger come off and fall into the 12v socket. This shorted out the 12v sockets. Could you try a magnet in them? Also how do they know the fuses aren't original. When you change a fuse they are the same surely?
You can have different fuses, so if it is not the same in colour (exact the same), or the layout is different, then you surely can tell it's not original.

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’ve never used 2 of the 4 sockets until 2 stopped working so tested the others. The device I was using still works in dashboard socket.
I can ask them how they know the fuses aren’t original - good question. They just said they weren’t original factory fitted fuses...

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My lates response as I have no van and I was clear on when I needed it back...

Hi guys,

Sorry to be hassling, but I mentioned several times I need the van back for tomorrow. I would also like a detailed list of work done beforehand as I was told very firmly yesterday by Chris that I won’t get the van back until
I pay. As I feel some issues are covered under warranty, and you have not done the work I asked initially, I would very much like this. Covering first visit, yesterday and today.

If you’re not in a position to sort that this evening, I’d be very grateful if you can deliver a van in which I can put 4 dog crates for use until this issue is resolved. If not I may need to rent one and recover the expense form Clark Commercials.

Thank you
Alison

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Still confused about how it comes they don't work anymore.
Was something done to the van right before they didn't work? Or did you just noticed it much later?

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Still confused about how it comes they don't work anymore.
Was something done to the van right before they didn't work? Or did you just noticed it much later?
@TripleBee I camped March 2018 (Crufts) then had back issues so didn’t camp etc. got tow bar and wind out awning fitted Sept 2018 (fiasco well documented on the forum). Still couldn’t camp until Sept 2019. That is when I noticed sockets weren’t working. There’s nothing in between that would suggest over use / bad use, etc as there was NO use...

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So the first thing to check is the towbar electrics I assume?
Maybe they fitted the +12V to the leisure battery? By this maybe disconnecting a +12V wire on that battery?
The towbar +12V should be connected to the starter battery, but as they maybe fitted it under the passenger seat, they thought hey, we have a battery here. Let's take this one?

I am just assuming, as I don't see the van in real life.

Hope someone can and will sort it out for you?

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So the first thing to check is the towbar electrics I assume?
Maybe they fitted the +12V to the leisure battery? By this maybe disconnecting a +12V wire on that battery?
The towbar +12V should be connected to the starter battery, but as they maybe fitted it under the passenger seat, they thought hey, we have a battery here. Let's take this one?

I am just assuming, as I don't see the van in real life.

Hope someone can and will sort it out for you?
Yes I agree - and after 2 days in the workshop that is what they are doing - even though I asked them several times by email to do that. But, I’m an older female and easily ignored... But not deterred. Thank you

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Loz has been suggesting that from the start. He's the man. Can't you pay him a visit? I know he likes a pint so a slab of beers and some diesel would be your outlay. Ha. Sorry Loz for trying to arrange you some work. Also I think a lot of those so called technicians are baffled if a computer can't tell them what to do. They can't fault find for toffee. vw guru not includes

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Loz has been suggesting that from the start. He's the man. Can't you pay him a visit? I know he likes a pint so a slab of beers and some diesel would be your outlay. Ha. Sorry Loz for trying to arrange you some work. Also I think a lot of those so called technicians are baffled if a computer can't tell them what to do. They can't fault find for toffee. vw guru not includes
I know. He’s PM’d me too, bless him. Just to far away.
The good thing is I was able to email his advice to the garage 2-3 weeks ago and said this was what I wanted to be looked at... So any faffing around since will be hard to justify...
Else @Loz might need to recommend somewhere for me and the 4 gingers with the dog trailer to camp

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The good thing is I was able to email his advice to the garage 2-3 weeks ago and said this was what I wanted to be looked at... So any faffing around since will be hard to justify...
Else @Loz might need to recommend somewhere for me and the 4 gingers with the dog trailer to camp
I don't think the techs or garages like being told what to do. They won't listen. Some of them must be oblivious to the Internet. I'd love to know what the fault is. Where do you live. I don't mind having a crack at it myself. I'm in South Yorkshire

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Regarding the “dealers” same chain are they a member of a voluntary ombudsman scheme ?

It seems from your correspondence to date they are trying to prejudice the out come of any “investigative” work before the problem is established, let alone establish the problem then advise the remedial actions, most likely to hit you with a bill for the remedial work that no doubt will have been caused by the “use non vw parts”
I have never heard so much rubbish about the fuses, vw do not make fuses ? They are an industry wide standard.
A fuse is a consumable item, designed to protect a circuit from damage by outside influences, if the correct type of fuse if fitted and it’s the correct ampage rated as originally fitted, there should be no issue? If not who changed them, most likely when the tow bar was fitted?
Are they implying fuses are not the correct rated fuse or is this more subterfuge to confuse the issue and imply improper work manship or misuse !
Didn’t their group of companies a) supply the van & b) carry out all work on the van ?
If so it is they are the culprit, who have used “non VW parts” and are in breach of their agreement with VW GMBH & U.K. ?
If this is the case, I would word a strong email, siting your customer rights and threat of legal coupled with a trip to trading standards, ombudsman, local press one VW U.K. and GMBH regarding the underhand tactics, poor advice and general lack of cooperation to assist a premium customer. Make them aware you have taken to this forum for advice and, that should get their attention and leave them in no doubt as to your next course of action!
I have found that some dealers default is deny everything until the customer can prove otherwise, the law says it’s not your prerogative to prove anything, that’s what customer laws were put in place for.
If all else fails start the process of involving the outside agencies, trading standards, citizens advice, ombudsmen (all the free ones first)

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Why not take a trip down and Camp at the Tudor caravan park where have had a couple of Cali meets? next to the canal with plenty of walks.. just 15minutes from me.

Our Partners