Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! All four 12V sockets in rear not working

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
hmmm wasted time doing a diagnostic that doesn't go anywhere near the leisure electrics!

Show them the photograph and politely suggest they simply remove the seat and the battery cover and check the leisure battery terminal distribution block and the all the spade connectors.

It's such a shame you're so far away from me as I would fix this for you in an hour for free!
I did send them an email based on your earlier suggestions asking them to check things like that... it seems I’m being treated like a middle aged, blond female driver... if only they knew what my qualifications are
Thanks for your support @Loz you’re giving me motivation to stand my ground

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Based on your helpful replies above, I asked VW Dyce what work has been done so far and what their next proposed steps would be... I’ve attached the reply below and would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.

Hi Alison,

So far, we have checked all fuses (14 of them) - which all power different 12v sockets. None of these are blown. We have then put the vehicle on ODIS (VW diagnostic computer) to check for any stored fault codes that may have been logged, again, no codes on the system. We then checked the power supply going to the main battery and leisure batteries - both of which are showing good readings and good power supply. So far 2 hours have been spent checking the van.

We now need to remove trims from the vehicle, strip the wiring down and investigate a possible wiring fault.

We have to treat any diagnostic job as retail until proven otherwise to cover our technicians time, hence why I have had to quote you £200 + VAT for any further diagnostic work on the vehicle.
Numpties.:headbang

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This is the reply this morning after sending Loz’s picture.
An additional item is they fitted the bike rack for me in 2017 and omitted the plastic strip underneath and I wanted them to check for damage and put strips in as they should be. They are now denying the fitted the roof rack (I bought a genuine T6 bike rack from SMG and got local dealer to fit it)

Hi Alison,

This has been checked already. I have spoken to my manager regarding your issues and the bike rack and he has sent me the following reply. I have copied Garry in on the email, so if you do have any queries then please don't hesitate to contact him.

1. 12 volt socket fault, we will investigate the root cause of the fault and then tell the customer what it requires. Ms Fitzgerald has a factory extended warranty which should cover most eventualities but as you know it does not cover, Rodent damage, fitment of non VW parts damaged caused by an external influence, such as a charging device that is demands more current from the system than it is designed for. Full details of the limits of supply through the 12 volt sockets are available in the owner’s manual. As always; If the root cause is not covered under the terms of the manufacturing defect warranty our standard diagnostic charge of £200 + VAT will apply.
  2. I believe the customer has a concern regarding the fitment of her bicycle rack. I have looked closely at the service history of the vehicle I can see no charges in relation to a cycle carrier supply or for fitment. If the cycle carrier has been purchased from another source, and is a genuine VW accessory it will carry a limited 2 year warranty on the cycle carrier in relation to manufacturing defects of the rack itself. VW class this accessory as a customer fit part, and do not provide any warranty regarding paintwork issues caused by the fitment of the bike carrier. Regardless of the fitment of cushion pads below the clamps, the racks have been known to rub through to the paintwork. Unfortunately this is not something that is covered under the manufacturing defect warranty of the paint work or the bike rack/cycle carrier. This leaves the question of fitment of the accessory, which would be covered under a local workmanship guarantee for 12 months if payment was made. Again as I can see no charge or record raised regarding the fitment of the part, and as such I cannot comment on liability of repair costs. Full T&C’s available on our own website under section 20.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Raise it direct with VW customer services and as a complaint, usually puts a rocket up their arse.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We had this with Listers Seat in Coventry, whenever we had a fault they would always fob us off or try to delay us until after the warranty. Strongly worded letter to the top and they would resolve it every single time.

I would expect if they fitted it there may be a line for the labour on a receipt somewhere.

Sandyvan

Sandyvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So let me understand this They are admitting that a genuine VW part is known to damage paintwork.

"Regardless of the fitment of cushion pads below the clamps, the racks have been known to rub through to the paintwork. Unfortunately this is not something that is covered under the manufacturing defect warranty of the paint work or the bike rack/cycle carrier".

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
12 volt socket fault, we will investigate the root cause of the fault and then tell the customer what it requires. Ms Fitzgerald has a factory extended warranty which should cover most eventualities but as you know it does not cover, Rodent damage, fitment of non VW parts damaged caused by an external influence, such as a charging device that is demands more current from the system than it is designed for. Full details of the limits of supply through the 12 volt sockets are available in the owner’s manual.
They say 12V socket (singular) but you said all the 12v sockets? and then they go on about you potentially overloading A socket.
If all the 12v sockets are not working then either all the socket fuses are blown and that assumes you plugged in something that blew one fuse and then you would have put the same device into each subsequent socket to blow the rest!
If all are not working that would point to the single supply cable that feeds the small bank of Blue 15A fuses for the sockets. This is easy to test with a multi-meter on the tops of the fuses;
Both sides of the fuse 12v is good
One side live(12v) the other dead(0v) fuse blown but supply is good.
0V both side of the fuse, no supply to fuse.

Q: How did you discover all the 12V sockets were dead, what did you test them with?

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
They say 12V socket (singular) but you said all the 12v sockets? and then they go on about you potentially overloading A socket.
If all the 12v sockets are not working then either all the socket fuses are blown and that assumes you plugged in something that blew one fuse and then you would have put the same device into each subsequent socket to blow the rest!
If all are not working that would point to the single supply cable that feeds the small bank of Blue 15A fuses for the sockets. This is easy to test with a multi-meter on the tops of the fuses;
Both sides of the fuse 12v is good
One side live(12v) the other dead(0v) fuse blown but supply is good.
0V both side of the fuse, no supply to fuse.

Q: How did you discover all the 12V sockets were dead, what did you test them with?
Loz, I have a small adapter (like a cigarette lighter) that I use to charge iPhone. I only buy apple recommended devices. Used the same one since van was new. It has never had problems and is still working in dash 12V socket. I plugged in next to kitchen whilst camping (as I always do) and it didn’t work. Hence I tried by the bed (where I usually have it at night). Then as that didn’t work I thought I should check the other 2 in habitation area...

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Loz, I have a small adapter (like a cigarette lighter) that I use to charge iPhone. I only buy apple recommended devices. Used the same one since van was new. It has never had problems and is still working in dash 12V socket. I plugged in next to kitchen whilst camping (as I always do) and it didn’t work. Hence I tried by the bed (where I usually have it at night). Then as that didn’t work I thought I should check the other 2 in habitation area...
The sink and upper bed sockets share the same fuse, but the other 2 (next to sliding door and in the boot) are separately fused. have you tested them?

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The sink and upper bed sockets share the same fuse, but the other 2 (next to sliding door and in the boot) are separately fused. have you tested them?
Loz, yes, all 4 in habitation area are not working.

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
@MattBW - the mention of contacting VW customer services and hey presto, they have now found the invoice for fitting the bike rack (I’d supplied the Invoice number and date it cleared my account y’day only to be told this morning they have no records of it...)...

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
@MattBW - the mention of contacting VW customer services and hey presto, they have now found the invoice for fitting the bike rack (I’d supplied the Invoice number and date it cleared my account y’day only to be told this morning they have no records of it...)...
Sure you’re not dealing with Arthur Daley rather than VW?
1568891062399.jpeg

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Sure you’re not dealing with Arthur Daley rather than VW?
I think you could be right. If you’ve seen my previous posts about issues with Clark commercials then you’d be pretty convinced

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So the van is back at VW Dyce. They just informed me that the fuses for the 12V sockets are not the original factory fitted ones... Que... then they must have been replaced by VW Dyce or in Edinburgh when the tow bar was fitted.
Got into a lengthy discussion about how I need to go back to where I bought the van from (I said yourselves). And whoever did the tow bar fitting (I said you’re colleagues (same chain) in edinburgh because you wouldn’t fit the tow bar and I wanted genuine VW parts and fitting so as not to impact my extended warranty...). Then got told it might not be genuine VW electrics for the tow bar, and Edinburgh was nothing to do withe them. But now I’ve mentioned it they’ll go through all the wiring for the tow bar. Excuse me, I’ve suggested this in writing a couple of times and now you want to charge me for a couple of days diagnostics for other stuff.
Excuse me whilst i’m away to have a scream in a darkened room...

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I also effectively got told it was down to me to prove I hadn’t changed the fuses etc. And it was up to me to contact VW Edinburgh to put a complaint in there is I feel that is where the issue comes from. But they operate under the same name as part of the same company.
Once this is fixed I am sorely tempted to sell the van as I can’t have this at every step. Unfortunately up here there aren’t any other dealers, it’s the one chain througout East of Scotland as far as I can tell...

AlisonF

AlisonF

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apologies for another post, I had a random thought. As I hadn’t used the van last winter with my back issues I was not surprised to find the pump had seized (I could hear a click when turning in the tap so microswitch working ok, but no pump noise). That was fixed during service in March. Is there a chance that the repair to that could have blown fuses (as it now seems the 12V ones have been replaced at some point without my knowledge).
I’m struggling to see how this all ties together and at this rate am being told I will be liable for £x00’s as I can’t prove it wasn’t my fault...

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
There must be a main +12V source that is not connected, as I read in your posts. One that feeds all the fuses that don't give you +12V. Maybe after fitting the towbar electrics there was something not fixed good?
They must search a common connection between all the things not working.
When did the problems start? After something was done to your van, or at least in a small period of time there after?

Our Partners