Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help please off to Spain and Portugal.

X

xkirkba

We could use some advice please.
We are off to Spain and Portugal next week.
What adaptors etc do we need to plug in our 2012 Cali
:thanks

Lucky you - we have just got back from a tour round the coast of spain and portugal in our new California - it was fantastic! We found some great campsites ( and some pretty poor ones as well!!) including what I think is the poshest campsite ever.

Anyway, back to your question, we took our standard lead with standard waterproof 240v 16amp BS4343 plugs ( these are the big blue plugs) and then a short adaptor lead that came with the california which converted from the waterproof plug to a continental 3 pin plug. We found that we had to use the adaptor on about half of the sites with the other sites either having just waterproof sockets or alternatively both waterproof and continental 3 pin sockets.

We paid around 4 euros a night for electricity so fo the sites we only spent 1 night on we didnt bother.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want any pics to make it clearer. HAve a fab time - Im very jealous.

Simon

I would also be prepared with an extra cable as the electric hook up could be a long way from your pitch.

Spain and Portugal might be better, but some of the french ones could be 30m away. :doh

simonizzy said:
Lucky you - we have just got back from a tour round the coast of spain and portugal in our new California - it was fantastic! We found some great campsites ( and some pretty poor ones as well!!) including what I think is the poshest campsite ever.

Anyway, back to your question, we took our standard lead with standard waterproof 240v 16amp BS4343 plugs ( these are the big blue plugs) and then a short adaptor lead that came with the california which converted from the waterproof plug to a continental 3 pin plug. We found that we had to use the adaptor on about half of the sites with the other sites either having just waterproof sockets or alternatively both waterproof and continental 3 pin sockets.

We paid around 4 euros a night for electricity so fo the sites we only spent 1 night on we didnt bother.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want any pics to make it clearer. HAve a fab time - Im very jealous.

Simon

Do you mean 2 pin euro plug?
That's what I've got with mine i'm hoping that's the one i need.
I find all this euro/shuko malarky very confusing:?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes to be fair I mean a 2 pin plug, but it is 2 pins plus 1 socket for the earth. On the continent they have 2 pin plugs and 2 pin + 1 socket for the earth. The 2 pin ones are good for about 3 amps and the 2 pin + socket are up to 16amps. The one you need is called a CE 7/7 plug. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets explains and has pics. I got the short adaptor lead with new cali in july 2012.

hope this makes sense!!

simonizzy said:
Yes to be fair I mean a 2 pin plug, but it is 2 pins plus 1 socket for the earth. On the continent they have 2 pin plugs and 2 pin + 1 socket for the earth. The 2 pin ones are good for about 3 amps and the 2 pin + socket are up to 16amps. The one you need is called a CE 7/7 plug. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets explains and has pics. I got the short adaptor lead with new cali in july 2012.

hope this makes sense!!

No not really!
Have had a quick look on internet and think mine is schuko cee 7/4.
Possibly.

Is this not the same as what you have? And will mine work?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

In the Spring of 2010 I spent 6 weeks zig zagging down through Portugal and then along the Algarve....lovely country, tolerant population and no one gives a damn what your about. Good free camping almost anywhere. Schools let you in during afternoons and evening to use computers and free Internet. Leisure centres very cheap for a swim and shower. West coast up from Cabo St Vincente totally natural and great beaches to doss down on.

Just looked at my Euro adaptor for my power cable and looks like it has both the metal bits for a German type socket and the hole for a pin to fit for the three pin French / Spanish type. So if you get one of these adaptors you should be good to go.

Hello - have a good trip.

Are you taking bikes?? Spain certainly, and many some other countries, insist on that square reflective board being fixed behind bikes - obtainable from camping shops etc.