Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help us decide

inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi
I have been studying the forums,brochures,reviews, demo models for well over 6 months now and am still not much closer in deciding which model to buy.The trouble is i want one now !.The only thing which is fairly close is the colour either black or grey ( and guess who decided that !) .We were spoilt when we had a demo for a few days in October as it was top of the range with every extra conceivable, but also top dollar and above my price limit (according to someone who thinks my overdraft is a target and not a limit !)
So the questions are
140 or 180
manual or dsg
what options cant you do without

many thanks
Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

My own personal opinion is a 180 DSG ( I guess I am only saying that is that is because it is what I have ) saying that many members are very happy with the manual and it is just down to personal choice at end of the day .

As for 'must have' options, I would say Privacy glass, cruise control, Climatronic, parking sensors and multi function steering wheel, only thing I wish I had was the electric side door. Oh yes, safe is very handy also ...

Are you still looking to buy brand new?

Martin said:
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

My own personal opinion is a 180 DSG ( I guess I am only saying that is that is because it is what I have ) saying that many members are very happy with the manual and it is just down to personal choice and budget at end of the day .

As for 'must have' options, I would say Privacy glass, cruise control, Climatronic, parking sensors and multi function steering wheel, only thing I wish I had was the electric side door. Oh yes, safe is very handy also ...

Are you still looking to buy brand new?

+1 - but we are manual.

Must also have Vanorak http://www.thevwcalifornia.com/accessories/products-page/?category=3&product_id=31 & Taylor Made Screens http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/acatalog/Longer_Length_external_windscreen_cover_.html

Welcome Dave - we hope that your Cali brings you as much pleasure as our's does.

Hi Dave and welcome
You'll probably get many suggestions as to what spec you should go for. At the end of the day unfortunately it boils down to personal preference and finances.Whether it's your only vehicle, as ours is etc.
However, here goes with my two penn''orth.
Our currrent Cali was bought from the showroom so we had to take it as was. We have had this for three years now and have a new one on order which is almost to the same spec:-
Like Martin, essentials for me were
180 engine, would sooner do without techy gadgets in order to have the more powerful and torquier engine, we have the 174 (manual) at the moment which I love and I think I would regret having the lower output 140. We have gone for the DSG rather than manual though.
Privacy glass, personally I think the van looks better externally.
Parking sensors front and rear, they make manoeuvering in tight spaces less stressful, until you get used to the size of the vehicle.
Climatronic, had this on previous cars as well, makes it easier to get a comfortable temperature throughout the van hot or cold.
Safe, can be retrofitted but for the cost, may as well have factory fitted. We've found it very useful on continental holidays for storing all documents etc. Wouldn't have originally chosen this but having had it, wouldn't be without. You do lose a bit of hanging depth in the wardrobe though.
Awning, been an absolute boon especially on hot summer days(yes we have had these)- roll it out, get the table and chairs out, meals al fresco in the shade - bliss.

I'm sure whichever spec you opt for, you will enjoy life with a California. I haven't regretted our original purchase and am looking forward to the new arrival.

I think the hardest part is deciding which accessories to go for, don't ask, I'm still unsure about some and whether I will benefit from them. It's all part of the fun.

Only my personal opinions !

Hubert

It may boil down to what is out there if you are really "want one now"! We spent time looking at what dealers had in stock and what people were selling....and at the right price. Sometimes you can actually over analyse to the point of paralysis.
The "must have" specs above speak for themselves in terms of their enhancement. The transmission is a matter of personal choice; we opted for 180 manual and part of that was my prejudice on the DSG front.
Whatever you get, if it is a California you will be happy.

It's a tough one TBH!

I think a Cali needs the 180 engine if possible - it's a flipping heavy vehicle!

I'm not a DSG fan but they do suit a Cali quite well - IMO not essential and they also notch the 4Motion version into almost top tax band rate too (our is just under 225g/km - so £200ish to tax. The DSG one is over £400!)

Privacy glass is nice, an awning should be standard IMO, climate seems very desirable, mud flaps are useful, a rear bumper protector is essential if you have a dog (easy to add this) and waterproof seat covers were a must have for us!

TBH the van we got had more than we probably would have specced - almost every box was ticked! So pretty happy with it.

KernowLad said:
It's a tough one TBH!
I'm not a DSG fan but they do suit a Cali quite well - IMO not essential and they also notch the 4Motion version into almost top tax band rate too (our is just under 225g/km - so £200ish to tax. The DSG one is over £400!)
The road tax is the same on both models as they are classed as motor caravans at birth...i.e. not converted vans :!:

Really? I checked a few sources and all said the dsg version was over £400. Doh! Still like the manual box a bit more though...

180 DSG, works really well together IMHO. Awning, privacy, mudflaps, sensors, MFSW, safe, towbar (for the caravan), seat covers from INKA - a must with hounds in the back, bumper protection. Did consider leather but with covers for dogs seemed a bit pointless.

Oh, and in grey though my wife is hankering after a red one when we upgrade though the reds seem to be a rare breed.

thanks for your replies

updated shopping list :-

black or grey
180 definately ( bit concerned over road tax is it the same for all models ? )
dsg if finance allows
awning
privacy glass
parking sensors
climate control - not sure of the benefits - guidance required please

hope to order new soon

thanks again dave

ps there is a salsa red demo at Robinsons VW Norwich

inthemidnighthour said:
180 definately ( bit concerned over road tax is it the same for all models ? )
Hi Dave,

The cost for renewing my road tax in October 2011 for our 180 DSG was £215 (class PLG) also if you have the April 2011 VW Cali brochure have a look on page 17 "The road tax is half that of an aftermarket-adapted camper van"......hope this helps put your mind at rest ;)

I would definitely try and stretch for the DSG box as after driving with it for the past 4 months, it really is sublime :cool:

Chris

We didn't get the climate control and don't feel we are missing anything, so glad we didn't get it
On the other hand we did get the DSG - we didn't intend to but we purchased a stock van
And are we glad we did, it's brilliant it makes driving so easy and can drive hundreds of miles with no fatigue at all - simply fantastic

Dave, my reason for climate control :

Having had cars, all be it some time ago, with just air conditioning, I found on hot days I was switching it on getting too cold - switching off for a while then back on. May be operator error on my part or modern systems are better, but for me, to be able to dial in the temp you want and leave it, with the fan speed and everything else automatically controlled to give a more comfortable environment. There are also separate controls for rear seat passengers which can be overidden to prevent children or even adults ! playing around with the settings.

Again it's all down to personal preference, only you can decide.

As LEB says, if you are buying from stock, the choice will be out of your hands.

Hubert

Even a base spec 140 with no options is still well equipped!

In "defense" of the manual box (DSG is about the only option I didn't want) from a keen drivers POV, the manual 'box is very good. Nicely weighted, light but positive clutch, very easy to reach - a joy to use IMO. I've only used better manual boxes in fast Hondas and Porsches.

Our BMW (335d) is full auto only - too much torque for the BMW manual box - and it's a very, very good one (ZF 6 speed with flappy paddles). 95% of the time it's spot on but it does get it wrong on occasions - then I take over with the paddles but it's not intuitive like a manual is. Yes the DSG is a "halfway house" but it still really an auto. I rarely use my paddles on the BM - I suspect it's the same with most DSG boxes.

With the 180 engine, you have two turbos (like our BM!) so there is no real flat spot in the power delivery - this means you aren't constantly changing gear like in a single turbo diesel.

I can definitely see the attraction of DSG for long distance driving but don't discount the excellent manual box completely. My only very slight concern is that the clutch is being worked hard with the fairly powerful engine and heavy lump it has to pull (we have a very steep driveway!) but it's not been an issue in other heavy cars we've had.

Sorry - got carried away again. I'm a bit of a car geek (done all sorts of driver training, etc...!) :oops: :lol:

LickeyEndBlues said:
:) Is there a translation facility planned for non petrol heads? ;)

Errmm - the DSG box is good but so is the manual too... ;)

california180 said:
KernowLad said:
Yes the DSG is a "halfway house" but it still really an auto.
:? You've lost me :?

It's officially a "semi-automatic" rather than a full automatic.

NO......the seven speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) is officially 100% fully automatic with the option of tiptronic plus it does a lot more like as soon as one gear is selected the next is primed to cut in as soon as required, hill assist and more :cool:

KernowLad said:
california180 said:
NO......the seven speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) is officially 100% fully automatic with the option of tiptronic plus it does a lot more like as soon as one gear is selected the next is primed to cut in as soon as required, hill assist and more :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

It's basically two manual transmissions in one unit with pre-selected gears (one set for odd number gears, the other for even numbers). Hill assist is just an add on. Tiptronic is the name for the older system.

It works well but isn't without issues - google "dsg gearbox" and the second suggestion that comes up is "dsg gearbox problems..."

The newer ones are better but still prone to the odd hiccup.

April 2011 VW Cali Brochure page 17 "The California comes in two transmission options: a six-speed manual and seven-speed DSG automatic.

A more up to date Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

but when it comes down to it.....

Semi-automatic infers some driver intervention

Fully-automatic infers no driver intervention

But it not worth us falling out over what is such a great gearbox :roll:

Chris

Fall out? Eh? Just discussing it!

My BMW has paddles but is a FULL auto - it has a torque converter.

The DSG box is two manuals and from your own link:

The Direct-Shift Gearbox (German: Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe[1]), commonly abbreviated to DSG,[2][3] is an electronically controlled dual clutch[2] multiple-shaft manual gearbox, in a transaxle design - without a conventional clutch pedal,[4] and with full automatic,[2] or semi-manual control. The first actual Dual Clutch transmissions derived from Porsche in-house development for 962 racing cars in the 1980s.

It's a good system and suits the Cali but as mentioned, the manual is also good too... :mrgreen:

Please remember guys it is only personal preference what might suit one may not suit another. I have the 140 manual
And it suits me fine in fact I smile every time I drive it. Just remember the original question was just advice wanted
not a technical debate on gearboxes.

Back