Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help us decide

if mr bank manager is kind tomorrow then it will definatey be a dsg
especially as it will be my good ladies daily run around !
dave

Eric said:
What ever you do Dave make sure :D you only buy a DSG or you will regret it.
:roll:

Someone is trying to wind many members up. Very happy with the manual box we CHOSE. :mrgreen:

There is only one way to settle this argument ...... FIGHT :D :D

3.jpg

***gets out middleweight kickboxing trophy***

I'm game!

Or maybe a tiddlywinks death match? :x

Crikey. I had better bring some gloves to the next one! :D

Love the discussion and pictures. I support Manual vote, as I also like driving....

Just read through the thread and it kind of lost direction:

For me Electric door, Extra seat, Bike rack, Tow Bar, Tinted windows, Dab radio, MFSW, etc, etc.

excellent now yet another reason why my kind bank manager has to lend me some money - officially the longest thread on this forum - how can they now refuse me !!

Not being in full control? The hesitation you get when pulling away from junctions? The reliability issues and costs to fix? Not being able to use the full range of revs? The slight loss of very low speed control? The slight loss in performance? The 2mpg loss in economy? The 15g\km increase in emissions?

I drive a Mercedes Axor artic that has a semi-auto box, similar to the DSG in as much as it has a clutch but no peddle & can drive in manual. In fact I believe trucks come with this type of box as standard now & manual is an option. One reason is improved fuel consumption when used in auto.
When I first drove an auto truck I thought no way, not in full control etc but now love them.

As has been said the one disadvantage is the hesitation when pulling away, but someone said that is improved with the software update that my cali has probably not had.

i have just been to france with a fully loaded and then some 140 cali and it was superb pulls like a train,, i had a 180 before this and dont see any benifit apart from very slightly more grunt???and i mean slightly,,,the problem with that is more maintinance costs due to bigger brakes twin turbos ect more tyre wear, and more cost when buyin new that you could spend on extras...my local vw van center cali expert told me the 140 is the one to go for he is a cali owner and he is correct as i have had both, but thats just my personal opinion,campers are for goin on ur hols in not racing also i was told when you come to sell it on out of warrany a 140 will sell better .if you really need to get more bhp fit a tunit box this will pump up ur bhp to around 175 and give you better mpg,they just plug in they dont affect your warranty and when you sell it you can take it off.i also had a 174 and a 130 pre facelift model and the 130 was better,the 174 used to loose traction on setting off on wet hills and grass??? i heard a lot of horror stories about driveshaft and gearbox probs on the bigger bhp 174s dont know about the 180s???

Jay - I hear what you're saying but have done some background research too.

The older 2.5 5 pot unit was ONLY used in T5s and was fairly unproven. So yes, it did have issues, especially in 174PS form.

The current engine is used in an awful lot of VAG group cars and it very well tried and tested. Sure it only comes in exactly the same 180PS spec in the Turok, but the basic engine is used in zillions of cars and is pretty solid.

As for bi-turbos - we have them in our BMW and it's probably the most reliable model on the 3 series range. We've had it almost three years and while I have a belt and braces approach to car maintenance (I replaced all turbo hoses when one frayed slightly!), it's been the most reliable car we've had - not bad as it's 300bhp.

And the brakes - I want the BIGGEST brakes I can possibly get! I don't worry about the cost of tyres of brakes. Only the best as they are for safety. And the 180 T5 brakes are actually pretty small compared to the BM ones!

But yes, 140 is plenty for most but we also wanted 4Motion - which means it has to be a 180.

We had a fleet of 174 tiptronic Caravelle's at work that did astronomical miles often with drivers doubled up to keep them running constantly. Never an issue. We're not using them anymore - a cheaper deal was found on another type of van and all the drivers are VERY disappointed.

The only thing wrong with them was the fuel consumption. I borrowed one for my daily 60 mile commute when I broke my wrist (I only had manual cars at the time) and on 50/50 A-road/dual carriageway v B-road, it would get down to 17mpg at times.

Californiaman said:
We had a fleet of 174 tiptronic Caravelle's at work that did astronomical miles often with drivers doubled up to keep them running constantly. Never an issue. We're not using them anymore - a cheaper deal was found on another type of van and all the drivers are VERY disappointed.

The only thing wrong with them was the fuel consumption. I borrowed one for my daily 60 mile commute when I broke my wrist (I only had manual cars at the time) and on 50/50 A-road/dual carriageway v B-road, it would get down to 17mpg at times.

My bro in law has a half converted 130 and it's pretty thirsty too!

I remember testing a bare 174PS Transporter and it felt very nippy! Many think the 180 is slower but I think it's the power delivery - the first turbo flattens out the torque curve so there's no obvious shove like in a single turbo car.

Bi-turbo diesels are great! :D

I've don't think they're slower - smoother yes and that can be quite misleading. I had an ST TDCi Mondeo a few years back - no sensation of speed at all. The only measure was to see how quickly other traffic went backwards!

I didn't buy a 180 to go "fast" but I do like a clear road where I can set my own pace. The 180 allows for very safe and quick overtaking.

If I was to choose again I'd go for a 140 all day.this is my 4th cali and best so far..

It was simply a reply to your part of the question 140 or 180 ???.if your goin for 4motion and you know about cali's you should know that 4 motion only comes I'n 180 form lol.

Just realised it kernolad it wasn't you askin 140 or 180 so ignore the last reply

jay61cali said:
Just realised it kernolad it wasn't you askin 140 or 180 so ignore the last reply

I was just making a point or two for the 180s. I like to keep things balanced :D

Yeah totally,so do I.just posting my opinion that's what this forums for isn't it.and as for brakes I don't think you understood the point I was tryin to make .I was advising that 180 brakes do cost more to replace I'n the long run? I wasn't slating them for bein more expensive.and as for stopping I don't think the 140 would have brakes that wasn't up to the job would they.haha.mabe I better get a parachute fitted just incase My 140 isn't safe enough to stop me and my family safley

TBH as they weigh about the same, I would have thought the brakes were similar anyway?

Not saying the 140 is any less safe, just that I don't mind spending a bit more on stuff like brakes. I DO mind spending more on stuff that breaks down though. Which hopefully the Cali won't!

Chill - not on the attack, just happy to discuss stuff.

Your Alps trip sounds amazing - I'm up for that once our kids are a wee bit older. Did it once in a Saxo (!!) and despite it being comical in snow, we had a great trip.

inthemidnighthour said:
thanks for your replies
black or grey
180 definately ( bit concerned over road tax is it the same for all models ? )
dsg if finance allows
awning
privacy glass
parking sensors
climate control - not sure of the benefits - guidance required please

Got to be black, it just looks stunning when nice and clean. Mean's your awning will match too.
180 every time. It's a heavy vehicle. 180 just makes it a little safer overtaking.
DSG has to be done. Love mine. Hill hold assist which comes with the DSG is spot on.
Awning - yes
Privacy glass, oh yes especially with the Deep Black paint job, it looks just superb.
Parking sensors, I've got them front and rear and they're superb
Climate control, I've not got it. The standard air con works fine but you manually set the fan speed. Not sure what the difference is otherwise.

Back