Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help us decide

Calikev said:
Please remember guys it is only personal preference what might suit one may not suit another. I have the 140 manual
And it suits me fine in fact I smile every time I drive it. Just remember the original question was just advice wanted
not a technical debate on gearboxes.

Apologies Kev - I just think the DSG suits some, the manual suits others. Neither is "better" than the other.

I like to think of my DSG as an automatic manual.

:cool:

Thanks for all your advice
I have been into local vw in Norwich today and have been told earliest delivery is July ( quarter 2 completely full ) with an additional 4 week wait for a DSG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dave

Dave, I was given similar timescales in October, but from placing order to Cali arriving at dealer was 10.5 weeks - and Xmas and New Year were in that 10 weeks too! Cali is now waiting at dealers until 1 March (may as well wait for new plate)
PS I opted for 140 manual.

Steve

Surely if you don't want to wait that long you would be able to find a showroom that has some in stock. When I decided I was going to have one there was no way I was waiting 5 months and out of the two showrooms I visited they both had 3 calis for sale, so shouldnt be too hard finding the spec you want from stock.

Vw in leicester have 11 Cali's coming in jan all different colours and spec all pre reg 61 plates
Send him a pm. Vwvansleicester. His name is Stuart carpenter. Tel him kev sent you see how you get on.

Definitely check stock at various dealers. I initially looked at the used list and found a few pre registration delivery miles ones with loads of extras going for less than some used examples. So that's what we bought! VW Van Centre in Preston is highly recommend - they seem to have a few in most of the time. They had a new Berghaus two weeks ago and two 4motions.

180DSG is superb.....over 40000 miles in mine since March 10. It had an annoying slow take off from junctions and roundabouts, scary in fact but this has been rectified in the engine software upgrade VW did OR I have compensated for it in my driving style, in any event ok now.

Agreed, imagine fully loaded in traffic jam climbing up a long steep hill.......

Why anybody wants a Manual with today's brilliant auto-box's amazes me.

Gazellio said:
Agreed, imagine fully loaded in traffic jam climbing up a long steep hill.......

Why anybody wants a Manual with today's brilliant auto-box's amazes me.

Not being in full control? The hesitation you get when pulling away from junctions? The reliability issues and costs to fix? Not being able to use the full range of revs? The slight loss of very low speed control? The slight loss in performance? The 2mpg loss in economy? The 15g\km increase in emissions?

Come on guys, the DSG suits many but comments such as these and Gay Eric's are quite irritating for those who CHOSE a manual 'box over a DSG. Fully loaded up a long hill? I believe we all learned to drive manuals in our test. Copes fine up ur 35% gradient driveway.

We had pretty much every option possible in ours but DSG wasn't one we wanted at all.

Can you not just agree that they suit some and not others? Maybe not... :roll:

Hi All

Can i just say that i have alway's owned vichles with a manual gear box we are now on our second cali the first one beeing a manual 180 loved it never really liked automatic
gear boxes until it came to changing our cali heared a lot about DSG'S so we had a test drive in one and in the end desided to have a DSG180 to me it was one of the most relaxing drive's i have experianced in a long time. were the differance is i enjoy my cali just that little bit more but in the end it's just personel choice so enjoy witch ever one you choose. :)

Gary & Heather

We aim to own our Cali for a good while and in the long term reliability will be an issue. I know loads of places that can re-build a manual gearbox.I am not so sure about a DSG one.

Gazellio said:

What traffic jams???
969398341_fd5e47989a.jpg

..........and look out for those speed cameras....................
custom_1250562653262_FSbUF.jpg

The photo of the car crush is Nick at Tanks-a-lot (http://www.tanks-alot.co.uk/) I've done some event photography there. They put on an awesome day for people that like driving heavy stuff...
The gearboxes are OK-ish but it's the tillers on the Russian TS2's you've gotta watch out for - they stick and almost always end up aiming for the photographer...

KernowLad said:
Our BMW (335d) is full auto only - too much torque for the BMW manual box - and it's a very, very good one (ZF 6 speed with flappy paddles). 95% of the time it's spot on but it does get it wrong on occasions

Come on KernowLad, everybody knows that gear changes are done using the left foot on REAL BMWs :lol: and they're not known for their smoothness ;)

Just thought it had gone quiet on this thread!

Hubert

thanks for all the advice everyone
However it does make me smile to ask for advice in choosing a cali and to end up with pictures of tanks in the snow how surreal
keep up the great advice every one
seeing my nice friendly bank manager tomorrow , well i hope hes friendly
thanks dave

Back