Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with options please

wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi Cali-peeps
I'm pretty much set on ordering a new Cali. I want to start using it next spring, so I can spec what I want and (hopefully) it will be delivered by then.
I'm going for an Ocean, and have most of the spec sorted out, but there are a few things I'd like some advice on:
  1. I want to get a Duvalay mattress for the downstairs bed. Do I still need to order the "Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat"? Are these 2 separate things, the bed extension, and the sleeping mat? Do I still need the "bed extension" to put my Duvalay on, and then sell the VW mat on ebay or whatever?
  2. I need the all-weather tyres "215-60 R17 C 109-107T - Optimized Rolling Resistance - GBP 162.00". Can anybody confirm if these are marked with the M+S (mud and snow) and 3PMSF (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake) symbols. I.e. are they good for winter travel when legally required in Germany etc?
  3. Does the heated front windscreen actually work well? I've heard reports that it's not up to the standard of the Ford windscreen.
  4. What is the difference between the standard and 'Pro' Discover Media systems. Is there anything to be gained by spending the extra money? All I can see is that the Pro is 1" bigger (could be useful for my bad eyesight), and has extra flash storage (no use to me).
I would ask my VW Van dealer, but I'd rather ask people who know :cool:

The heated screen is a waste of time and I never use it. I think it’s designed to heat the outside to clear ice: it’s terrible and slow at clearing a steamed up windscreen. All weather tyres should be 3pmsf: our Michelin cross climate are. No you don’t need the bed extension which is basically a double thickness rear part and 2 single thickness conjoined parts that fold forwards to cover the seats...but get it as you may find that’s enough anyway: we do. We don’t have a 6.1 so can’t answer the pro question but see post 4 here..think the main differences are map visible in the drivers display and objects like the Eiffel Tower are in 3D.

The 235/55/17 All weather tyres have the required markings.

215/60/17C Tyres may be the standard van tyres which may not be 3PMSF marked/compliant.

Best to get it on the order as to your requirements and if wrong ones come from VW then the dealer would have to get them changed. Lots available, Michelin Agilis favourite.

Right, no heated windscreen, and yes to the all weather tyres. I don't need 3D sat nav, and the more complicated the 'media system' is, the more likely it is to break (I'm a software engineer). So no to the discover media pro.
Looks like I'll have to spec the 'bed extension' in case it comes with a vital part that I'd need for the Duvalay mat.
Thanks to all

Finally went for:
Ocean 199
4Motion + Diff Lock + Hill descent control (I do a lot of dirt tracks to obscure archaeological + historical sites, and would also love to do Glastonbury)
All weather tyres (235x17s). I will be driving to Germany in the winter months - mandatory.
Candy white (Less heat absorption, can hide amongst builder's vans)
Power sliding door (for when I've got my hands full of wine bottles or muddy wet dog)
80l Tank (extra 10l could make the difference)
Detachable towbar (for bike rack, and maybe a dayboat)
Outdoor shower (for cleaning mud off me/dog/bike)
Alloy Spare Wheel (from first hand experience, puncture repair kits are useless)
Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (a bit of a pain sometimes on my car, but it might save my life)

Thought about, but did not order:
4 Keys (will stick to 2 and get some surf keys for peace of mind)
Comfort mattress (will get Duvalay one or similar)
Heated windscreen (I'm not convinced of how well it works, and if I smash the windscreen in Greece or Turkey or somewhere else hot, how likely is it a local repair company will be able to replace it?)
Discover Pro Media (3d Eiffel towers I do not need, thank you very much)
Driving Profile Selection (does anybody order this? If so, why? I have it on my car, and have never used it)
Flashlight (80 quid? You're having a laugh VW)
Trailer Assist (I might *not* get a dayboat)

Give your spare alloy wheel a good wax coating at least once a year. If a diamond cut design, good luck.

Should add, that in the 6.1 MY21 changes video from California Chris (VW Liverpool), he mentions that the nav map will now be visible in the driver's display on the discover media, as well as the discover media pro, so no upgrade needed for this. All it gives you (AFAICT) is 1" bigger screen, 64 vs 32 gb memory which I would never use, and 3d, which would probably make me travel sick.

Give your spare alloy wheel a good wax coating at least once a year. If a diamond cut design, good luck.
I ordered the default arancaju (spelling?), so shouldn't be a problem thanks. I will need to find some way of locking it, though.

If you’re going for the towbar than I would add the trailer assist. I wasn’t sure, but when speaking to the sales guy it made a lot of sense to me so have included it.

Is a reversing camera bow standard on the Ocean? If not I’d add that as well.

when I ordered my Ocean I was also wanting white for same reason (dogs / heat etc), but the sales guy suggested Silver and I loved it. Ordering it again.

Overall you have an excellent spec which looks like it will suit your requirements.

Reversing camera is standard on Ocean.
It will be a long time before I actually get my Cali, but until then I have a picture of what it will pretty much look like with me and my greyhound.Mystery_Machine.jpg

Nice spec - where did you order it from?