Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ultimate T4 Westfalia

No I don't need one at all, I'm probably gonna remove it. But what do I do with the holes in the roof? I could get rubber inserts?

You could put inserts but the roof is just fibreglass so a bodyshop could fill and paint them.

Another question, is it correct that the night heater only blows heat from one vent? And the other vent has its own blower unit which feeds from the engine heat or aircon?

I know a man who has s nice set of original BBS rims ;)

I think that extra control panel is for the auxiliary water heater. They are usually automatic and kick in at around 5C. Never seen one on a California but as this one was built for the Austrian market it may of been specific to them.
yea I'm going to check and see if this unit is wired to anything. the only other way to check that the aux heater is working in automatic mode is to put ice on the sensor and fool it in to thinking its lower that 5 Deg c

HPI checked? Just make sure it's not nicked.

yea I'm going to check and see if this unit is wired to anything. the only other way to check that the aux heater is working in automatic mode is to put ice on the sensor and fool it in to thinking its lower that 5 Deg c

Quick and dirty test is to go behind the bumper, remove the temperature sensor and jump the connector with a short loop of wire. The heater should fire up in around 30 seconds. You need the engine running though.

HPI checked? Just make sure it's not nicked.
Didn't do a check yet, the couple that's selling it, the lady's name is on the original booklet. But I'll get it checked for sure.

Quick and dirty test is to go behind the bumper, remove the temperature sensor and jump the connector with a short loop of wire. The heater should fire up in around 30 seconds. You need the engine running though.
Okay, I'll give it a go. where exactly is the sensor located?

I don't have my T4 manual now, but I'm sure one belonging to a similar age van will cover this controller - if it is oem. Most manuals are full of stuff explaining components that "are only fitted in certain markets".

Okay, I'll give it a go. where exactly is the sensor located?
Stand facing the front of the camper, the sensor is just behind the left hand side of the bumper, near the fog lights and horn.

Hi everyone, I have done a vehicle history check as recommended and there is two things that are making me nervous. All the info from the camper itself check out, but this info is a worry. However I have seen vehicles that have been registered in Ireland ending up with incorrect details, on its Irish registration cert after import.History check.JPG History check 1.JPG

I've not had time time to study the above, but I know often information is poorly subscribed when the imported vehicle is registered in the new home market, so if it's a case of missing information, I wouldn't worry too much, Contradictory information on the other hand is worrying.

I've not had time time to study the above, but I know often information is poorly subscribed when the imported vehicle is registered in the new home market, so if it's a case of missing information, I wouldn't worry too much, Contradictory information on the other hand is worrying.
So far I'm convinced it a genuine California, one of the codes on the factory build sticker is the code for the pop top roof.
Yes I have seen it happen in the past here in ireland where imported cars were given the incorrect make model.
I suspect that in this case it may have been registered as a multivan and when the owner went to pay road tax they probably then realised the mistake as the tax would be higher. That may be why the body type was changed to a camper in order for the correct tax to be calculated.

Hi everyone, I have done a vehicle history check as recommended and there is two things that are making me nervous. All the info from the camper itself check out, but this info is a worry. However I have seen vehicles that have been registered in Ireland ending up with incorrect details, on its Irish registration cert after import.View attachment 22210 View attachment 22211

Can you phone up VW customer service with the codes you have for the van and see if they can help you authenticate?

When I got my Cali I wanted to know more about the spec and if it had tow bar prep and VW were able to confirm and let me know the full spec of my Cali.

Can you phone up VW customer service with the codes you have for the van and see if they can help you authenticate?

When I got my Cali I wanted to know more about the spec and if it had tow bar prep and VW were able to confirm and let me know the full spec of my Cali.
Its worth a try, but I wouldn't be too confident of help here in Ireland, I may need to call VW UK
I could try my local VW dealer, would they be able to give me this kind of information from the VIN Number?

I think you reached the stage where you need to go for it.

You can always talk yourself into a problem given enough time.

The clue is the original California Freestyle decals. This suggests to me the body is original.

Back