Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hob ignition upgrade

I have just installed this ignition kit, more or less following the excellent instructions and photos.

It only took 1.5 hours and has made a real difference.

Like the author, we were frustrated by the loud clicking and repeated attempts to light the gas. So easy now.

Thank you
Any top tips Alan? Still need to replace mine. Thanks.

This looks excellent and the descriptions of fitting really good and since my own VW igniter has been inoperable for years, I want one. I've found it on Amazon but atm it's out of stock and the only other site (£16) appears to be in the US with £16 delivery and taxes etc on top.

Is there a UK source anyone has found/used?

I fitted this this morning. It's a simple process - just by following @VincentVan’s clear instructions earlier in this thread.

Minor changes in the process I adopted:

1. I couldn't move the nut that holds original igniter button in place, so I undid the igniter button from above. There’s a small screwdriver-sized hole in the top of the surround of the original igniter button which I used to turn the button with a small electrical screwdriver.

2. My two slots cut either side of the igniter button hole were smaller (and less tidy) than @VincentVan’s. But the slots don’t need to be very big at all to get the locking arms through.

3. I used two short lengths of double sided 3M tape to hold the battery box to the back of the drawer cupboard, I used @kurienp’s orientation of the battery box, rather than @VincentVan’s.

And If I can do this, anyone can.

The ignition system works beautifully and is a great improvement on the original.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Any top tips Alan? Still need to replace mine. Thanks.
You will need a small file to cut the 2xslots for the new switch.....a standard size file is just too big.

Rather than try to find a bullet connector plus spade connector to connect the new ignition wires to the existing ignition wires, I simply cut off the old connectors and did a solder splice joint on each and then heat shrink.

The amount of wire you have on the existing ignition wires is quite tight, so I removed everything including the cupboard shelf in order to gain some access. Rather than use cable straps etc for the wires, I simply ran the wires through the cavity that exists between the hob plate and the cupboard at the very top. I ran the wires direct to the new ignition unit, located where the original author suggested. No issues.

Initially I could not fathom how to remove the cutlery draw, but then discovered there are 2x handle beneath the drawer at the front. Simply press these and the drawer pops out.

I'm happy to provide any supplementary photos you may need to explain anything I have written above. Let me know.

You will need a small file to cut the 2xslots for the new switch.....a standard size file is just too big.

Rather than try to find a bullet connector plus spade connector to connect the new ignition wires to the existing ignition wires, I simply cut off the old connectors and did a solder splice joint on each and then heat shrink.

The amount of wire you have on the existing ignition wires is quite tight, so I removed everything including the cupboard shelf in order to gain some access. Rather than use cable straps etc for the wires, I simply ran the wires through the cavity that exists between the hob plate and the cupboard at the very top. I ran the wires direct to the new ignition unit, located where the original author suggested. No issues.

Initially I could not fathom how to remove the cutlery draw, but then discovered there are 2x handle beneath the drawer at the front. Simply press these and the drawer pops out.

I'm happy to provide any supplementary photos you may need to explain anything I have written above. Let me know.
Very detailed help, thank you very much. :thumb

Hi,

Has anyone got a current link for this part? The one above is not available and the only other one I can find on Amazon is closer to 50 quid, not around the 16 mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance
Hi grainflow,

The item that Silverback links to is not the right part. You need an electronic, not piezo, ignition unit. Like you say, the one I used doesn’t seem to be available currently. Though not exactly the same, this one looks similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YD3P4YX/?tag=eliteelect-21

VV

Hi grainflow,

The item that Silverback links to is not the right part. You need an electronic, not piezo, ignition unit. Like you say, the one I used doesn’t seem to be available currently. Though not exactly the same, this one looks similar:

VV
Hey Vincent
Would this one direct from Weber work?

That's the one that I have fitted and it will work.
£9.50 delivery charge !
Found this one on Amazon for £19.99

GFTIME 7642 Grill Igniter for Weber Spirit E/S-210 (with Front Burner Knobs), for Spirit E-310 (with Front Burner Knobs), 69850 Electronic Ignitor Kit for Weber Spirit E/S-210 220 E310 (2013 & Newer)​

As the original ignition of the hob uses the 12 Volt onboard DC current of the household battery, wouldn't it be possible to connect the Weber ignition to this 12 V power source?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Hi Marc
The original hob uses piezo ignition, so it has no 12v supply. It’s quite clunky to use which is why this is a nice to upgrade

Hi Marc
The original hob uses piezo ignition, so it has no 12v supply. It’s quite clunky to use which is why this is a nice to upgrade
Vincent, thanks for the info!

I will try to find an ignition that uses 12V instead of a 1,3 V AA battery.
Anybody seen such a thing?

Marc.

Marc.
Good idea

Hi grainflow,

VV
Sorry to disagree.

The part I linked to is battery powered, electronic and not piezo. I know, I've installed it.

Great mod. im going to do this as the noise of standard ignition drives my dog nuts.
Fleabay seems to be the cheapest
Grill Igniter

Marc.
The AA battery has lasted well over a year now. Still on original battery and going strong No additional cables or any other wiring slicing etc. It literally slots into place.

I carry a spare AA battery in the toolbox, just in case.

Why make life more complex?

Onlyfire F-BIR2005-PE1-EU.jpg
Silencing set for only 17 euro.

Me too. I've successfully silenced the banging sound of the original VW ignitor plug with an electronic ignition. Thank you VincentVan for the brilliant idea.

I gave up on searching the web for a 12 Volt solution and found a silent ignition set from Onlyfire for 17 euros. Works as a treat with a 1.2 Volt AA battery from Ikea.

During the installation I've found some alternative hiding places for the new generator block which sends the ignition sparks to the burners on the stove.
20230107_163138.jpg
My favorite hiding place.

And I had a surprising experience with cables that began to spark their 1.5 kiloVolt current somewhere halfway under the hob, instead of at the supposed end of the wires near the gas burner ignitions...

See some extra installation hints in the attached PDF file here:vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/pushing-the-envelope-stretching-calis-room-to-te-limit.14232/post-621509

On page #113 of that thread.

Sparkling regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Another beautiful silent ignition. I like the hidden location. Well done Marc!

Back