Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up cover flapping in airflow whilst driving on motorway.

CannellWalker

CannellWalker

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Recently we have noticed that when driving on the motorway our hook up cover has been flapping in the air flow.
Has anyone else had this happen? It feels like the latch is now loose. Is it an easy fix or does it involve replacing the whole hook up socket?

Can be two things...firstly the spring is broken or dislodged... Changing the cover likely to be the best option.

Second option is that the cover isn't pushed closed completely... there should be a slight "click" when you push the bottom two corners closed. Might be worth a try.

Rgds

Mark

Cheers guys. Not much of a click anymore. Will have to investigate a new cover.

Mine still clicks shut, but if I happen to be on the Autobahn & go over about 95 it tends to open!

Had this a few years ago on a coach built. Complained to the dealer ("they all do that sir"); and he gave me some of that sealant that they use between panels, it's a bit like Bluetack. Put a small blob each side and it did the trick, never dried up and worked the whole time we had the van.

If you can't get the sealant stuff you could try Bluetack or similar.

Noticed a few times when I had not 9pushed closed, + 1 for a simple fix, how about some sticky backed velcro

I've tried Velcro but it seems too thick and pushes the flap out too much.

I had a good look at mine about a year back because it was happening regularly and the bits on the lid and base that click together were pretty worn (after about 7 years of use) so i put a couple of very small blobs of superglue on the lid, left it for 24 hours propped open and it's worked fine since. The superglue was just some tube or other I had in the garage in the odds 'n ends box. I was worried that even after 24 hours it might 'stick' but it seemed to have set quite hard overnight and hasn't.

Like your thinking Barry. To build up the worn catch area?

Same problem here, but velcro works fine - after some try and error you'll find that the lid closes just fine (two small pieces of velcro just near de lower edge)

Mine has flapped for a few years but has now broken and just hanging on so I have replaced it .. the whole unit was £14 on ebay and easily wired in exact replacement

Mine has flapped for a few years but has now broken and just hanging on so I have replaced it .. the whole unit was £14 on ebay and easily wired in exact replacement
Are you able to provide an eBay link please...I need to replace mine.....

Thanks

I keep forgetting to click mine shut!
Might try epoxying a couple of small "penny sized" magnets to the flap just to hold it in place. The magnets used in phone cases should do.

Likewise - it's my camp pack-up bete noir too, usually realise when I hit the motorway & see it flapping in the wing mirror. I think it's because both hands are full coiling the hook-up cable.

Destroyed the flap on my previous van & swapped over the whole unit via eBay. I'll look into some slim magnets too, good idea.

Likewise - it's my camp pack-up bete noir too, usually realise when I hit the motorway & see it flapping in the wing mirror. I think it's because both hands are full coiling the hook-up cable.

Destroyed the flap on my previous van & swapped over the whole unit via eBay. I'll look into some slim magnets too, good idea.
Self Adhesive anisotropic magnetic tape. Will stick to itself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhe...var=620504224778&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the link on magnetic self adhesive tape worked a treat on flap. I put some down each side cut to shape. Now the blue tack can go back indoors.

VW Part Number
7H7972097
apologies for the thread resurection, but I’d like to ask if this part number is still in use and if it fits T6.1 Beach Campers?

My cover recently started to flap on highway and feel really wobbly, so will need replacing. For the time being, I applied some velcro, but only as a temporary fix.

Thanks in advance!

apologies for the thread resurection, but I’d like to ask if this part number is still in use and if it fits T6.1 Beach Campers?

My cover recently started to flap on highway and feel really wobbly, so will need replacing. For the time being, I applied some velcro, but only as a temporary fix.

Thanks in advance!
The Part Number is still used, but whether it applies to the T6.1, I don't know I'm afraid.
Knowing VW, it probably is the same, but only VW can confirm that.

I posted this simple fix in a thread previously, the link to the original thread does not work now & cannot be found doing a search here or on Google, so posted again here to help others:

the EHU flap does suffer from distortion due to heat.
a simple fix is to attach two neodymium magnets to the flab, two small magnets are all that are required attached to the inside of the flap, aligned with the screws that fix the flap chassis to the body

use Mastic to attach the magnets to the flap.

this fix has lasted four years and still works perfectly

78B8F7D8-9EA1-4878-93F7-DE9403F03696.jpeg

old post showing removal and replacement of EHU flap

Last edited:
Back