Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up cover flapping in airflow whilst driving on motorway.

During a really hot spell last July ours started flapping in the wind. A small piece of electrical tape held it successfully in place. Once the weather cooled down it went back to normal. I suspect when it gets really hot the plastic expands and it can no longer maintain its friction fit to stay closed. Give it a week or two.

The Part Number is still used, but whether it applies to the T6.1, I don't know I'm afraid.
Knowing VW, it probably is the same, but only VW can confirm that.
And is there anyone who can confirm of Beach and Ocean both share the same part? (ie only socket on beach an no water inlet)

That would already help a lot!

I posted this simple fix in a thread previously, the link to the original thread does not work now & cannot be found doing a search here or on Google, so posted again here to help others:

the EHU flap does suffer from distortion due to heat.
a simple fix is to attach two neodymium magnets to the flab, two small magnets are all that are required attached to the inside of the flap, aligned with the screws that fix the flap chassis to the body

use Mastic to attach the magnets to the flap.

this fix has lasted four years and still works perfectly

View attachment 96344

old post showing removal and replacement of EHU flap

Thanks, this is what I intend doing (adding something to keep it shut in the future, after I replaced it).
I found this “how to” yesterday and plan doing this first, and then improve it. :)

During a really hot spell last July ours started flapping in the wind. A small piece of electrical tape held it successfully in place. Once the weather cooled down it went back to normal. I suspect when it gets really hot the plastic expands and it can no longer maintain its friction fit to stay closed. Give it a week or two.
The 2 small metal rods connecting the flap to the socket have a lot of play in them now, so don’t really trust them anymore. Also, the little spring in the flap is not doing anything anymore, so suspect it is broken due to the heavy flapping on highway. :-(

I ordered a spare part based on the supplier part number printed in the inside of the socket (ABL1154, cost approx €17 through amazon) and swapped it over. Took about 10 min, really easy.

When removing the original part, I found the sticker with the official VW part number for a Beach Camper T6.1. It is still the same as what @WelshGas shared above, in case anyone is interested.03EABC4B-C0DA-4B52-BA98-090EA4EBE150.jpeg

I use blu-tack. Lasts about a year then needs replacing

The heat wave in France (42C in shade and 54C in open sun, 49C inside Cali) appeared to distort mine as flapping on the way back home.

Tried a bit of hot air gun heat to reverse the curve that it had developed and was 90% successful but will now try the Velcro Pad method before replacing the unit as a last resort.

The heat wave in France (42C in shade and 54C in open sun, 49C inside Cali) appeared to distort mine as flapping on the way back home.

Tried a bit of hot air gun heat to reverse the curve that it had developed and was 90% successful but will now try the Velcro Pad method before replacing the unit as a last resort.
I used self adhesive magnetic strip just cut it to size apply down each side inside flap job done.
it has been on there about for about 5 years and still going strong.

I used self adhesive magnetic strip just cut it to size apply down each side inside flap job done.
it has been on there about for about 5 years and still going strong.
I did also notice that the left hinge pin was very loose in the flap. ie flap moved vertically.

I did also notice that the left hinge pin was very loose in the flap. ie flap moved vertically.
Yes, same with me. Which is why I replaced already. Really didn’t give much while driving confidence, to be honest….

As others have said - a small blob of blue tack in the bottom left hand corner corner works perfectly. The same bit of blue tack is still in place and works perfectly after 5 years!

Back