Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook Up Help

TrevorH

TrevorH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi

Can I just confirm that it is Ok to use what I believe is called a distribution adapter which allows power to be taken (with 3 pin sockets) into an awning while another cable plugs into the van in the normal way.

I appreciate that there will be limitations on appliances used but in all honesty I can't imagine anything other than fridge , kettle and maybe hot plate in awing with van itself confined to lighting and minor ancillaries

Any recommendations for awning connector/plug which is good on safety front?

Many thanks in anticipation

Don’t forget the battery charger also runs off the hookup .
I would split the power before the van if you can, ie. use a hookup cable with multiple outlets and use a short lead back to van.
Just remember to keep it all dry.

I can't imagine anything other than fridge , kettle and maybe hot plate in awing
That’s already quite a list. A conventional (domestic) kettle will blow some campsite supplies on their own.

Thanks guys

The piece of kit from the club shop will serve the awning well.but struggling to source a cable which will run to van hook up. Presumably 3 pin to female hook up connection .

That’s already quite a list. A conventional (domestic) kettle will blow some campsite supplies on their own.

and....

Where in the list is the tumble dryer? :shocked

Last edited:
Although the cabling from the post to the van is rated at 16amp, the hook up post may well have a trip rated at 6 or 10 amps for each socket on it. It would be easy to trip a 6 amp supply with a kettle and a hotplate on at the same time suuplied by a single hook up cable.

A low wattage kettle is often around 1.2k watts, our domestic one is rated at 3kw
Hot plate something similar. A total of 2.4Kw divided by 230 volts equals a current draw of 10amps without the fridge coming on.

That would easily trip a 10 amp post supply.

Alan

Thanks all. Very useful on several fronts and even sent me back to rehearse my schooldays physics.

Thanks all. Very useful on several fronts and even sent me back to rehearse my schooldays physics.

It's what happens when you try to turn your awning into an ohm from ohm .....:D

Sorry :sad

I'll get my coat..... shocking really ....... going now ...

I just did France. Switzerland. Germany and didn't need my eu hook up adapter. was all the same as here. I ran a toaster and kettle out of the van electrics. no problems. thick toast aswell

I just did France. Switzerland. Germany and didn't need my eu hook up adapter. was all the same as here. I ran a toaster and kettle out of the van electrics. no problems. thick toast aswell
Visit small sites or municipal sites and you will get to use the Euro connector.

This was our electrical hook up in Albert, Northern France 4yrs ago. I think it was 5amp. Black Socket next to LH side of tree stump

IMG_0226.jpg

Back