Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do I remove the in-rail holding device for the water fill kit ?

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The Brandrup water fill kit is very expensive, but works well.
However ... how does one REMOVE the magic holding bit that is now stuck inside the rail ?
I guess I could apply brute force ... however I want the darn thing to last !!

1315.jpeg

However ... how does one REMOVE the magic holding bit that is now stuck inside the rail ?

View attachment 96132
Washing up liquid or Silicon spray?

Sort of wiggle it past the end bit of the rail. I too have had occasions where I just could not get it out. Your last resort is removing it via the other end of the rail, at the front of the van!

View attachment 96132
Bizarre as it sounds we’ve found it comes out easily if you walk it forward and take it out the front end of the rail.

The inside of the end piece is not quite flush with the rail. It can help to have a feel with your fingers, to get an idea what the problem is. An alternative would be to wait until the temperature goes down a bit. I sometimes have the feeling that the two bits that go in the rail do expand and get more sticky with temperature.

When you do take note. The cylinders that fit in, one thick, one thinner. You only need the thick one for the rail, certainly not both!

Think it’s designed to have both in the rail. The weight of water would most probably pull a single one out.

Think it’s designed to have both in the rail. The weight of water would most probably pull a single one out.
I've been using one of these for years with the 20 litre water container, only ever used the thicker bit of beading & never had it pull out. I had just assumed the different sizes were for different rails.

I've been using one of these for years with the 20 litre water container, only ever used the thicker bit of beading & never had it pull out. I had just assumed the different sizes were for different rails.
Looks similar to the Dometic California Kador driveaway kit design (as below):

1657705047397.png

I have switched to using just the thicker bit after having it stuck in the rail, like the OP. I switched back to using both after having the full water container fall out of the rail, twice. It's been designed to use both bits together.

The problem is with the end cap of the rail. The transition from the rail itself is never smooth. I once had an end cap that was askew – that was fixed under warranty.

Push the beads some Centimeters to the left, and use a fine round file to broaden up the inside of the narrower endpiece. Just a tenth of a Millimeter though.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

When awnings have two kador strips, one is 6mm and the other 8mm (or something like that) and they are to fit the different size of awning rails. Seems odd that you're expected to fit both in a rail that at most is meant for the 8mm strip...?

When awnings have two kador strips, one is 6mm and the other 8mm (or something like that) and they are to fit the different size of awning rails. Seems odd that you're expected to fit both in a rail that at most is meant for the 8mm strip...?

The Cali rail needs a double bead due to its square internal shape.

Great, I thought, like to simplify. So I hung my 10 litre bag from the thicker bit only, opened the valve and bang, everything fell to the ground

Mine sometimes also gets stuck, It comes out by surprising it with a quick firm and strong flick of the wrist.

I am sure if I had the patience it would come out easier by manipulating it up and down while sliding out but I haven't tried it.

The weight of my 30L water carrier has pulled out the larger bead when used on its own so I also now use both beads.

Back