Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you carry skis?

How do you carry skis in / on your California?

• Total voters
View attachment 40957

View attachment 40958

View attachment 40959

View attachment 40960

I mounted the Thule SnowPack directly on the bike rack. Didn’t need to drill the bike carrier as the M6 round-head screws fit perfectly into the groove of the bike wheel holders. I did need to drill 6mm holes on the Thule as can be seen on the second photo. The bike carrier can be opened normally and I can also transport bikes and kiteboards simultaneously.
Really nice solution! Looking for a combination met the snowpack L.

- Can you share your experience with holding/placing the skis/boards before you close the clamp? Do you have someone holding them, also when opening. Or do you use the ski straps for that?

Saw a French cali with extra hooks mounted through the rubbers to keep the skis/boards in place before closing and after opening the clamps.

Elan Voyager Folding Skis​

As I live in a city and sometime travel through the seasons, the usage of space is very important.

Fold and put them in the boot. :)

My skis fit between the kitchen unit and seat. I've had three pairs down there in the past, unfortunately a friend of mine is one of those silly snowboarders. Looking at a trip in a few weeks.
Any ideas...?
I have roof bars, should I just strap them to the roof bars or store somewhere inside the van...?

I always have a roofbox, it is big enough for the familys snowboards, skiis, cross country skiis and plastic sleds, keeps the beer cold too. I stand on the rear wheel to load and unload.

View attachment 40219
I have the same Packline. Common in Sweden I imagine but rare elsewhere, because of the hand built fibreglass shell (expensive). I bought mine in 1988 with a new Saab, and it is still excellent several cars later. I have a T6.1 on order when my 2006 VW Phaeton will go. The Packline was great on the Phaeton but I was thinking it would be too heavy (I think the moulded Thule roof boxes are lighter) for the California pop roof. Do you have any problems?

My skis fit between the kitchen unit and seat. I've had three pairs down there in the past, unfortunately a friend of mine is one of those silly snowboarders. Looking at a trip in a few weeks.
Any ideas...?
I have roof bars, should I just strap them to the roof bars or store somewhere inside the van...?
I used to carry my boards on the roof in the clamp style ski/snowboard carriers. The edges get rusty very quickly with the salt on the Scandinavian roads. It’s worse on the back door than on the roof if they are not protected in some way. That’s why I switched to a box. If you’re doing this frequently a box might be a good solution for your skis and boards?

View attachment 40957

View attachment 40958

View attachment 40959

View attachment 40960

I mounted the Thule SnowPack directly on the bike rack. Didn’t need to drill the bike carrier as the M6 round-head screws fit perfectly into the groove of the bike wheel holders. I did need to drill 6mm holes on the Thule as can be seen on the second photo. The bike carrier can be opened normally and I can also transport bikes and kiteboards simultaneously.
Hey, you don't mention the maker/model of the bike rack you used in this ski rack build? What was it?

View attachment 40957

View attachment 40958

View attachment 40959

View attachment 40960

Thanks for the idea :)

20230211_191028343_iOS2.jpg

20230211_191458494_iOS.jpg

20230211_191434640_iOS.jpg

20230211_191028343_iOS.jpg

View attachment 28624 View attachment 28642
This is a vw bike rack with a nordrive 6 ski rack bolted on ( same ad Thule) it only fits 4 pairs of skis due to the positioning on the bike rack, the poles fit perfectly under the skis in between the bike wheel holders and I strap my essential shovel and brush underneath with cable ties.
The rack still folds up with the ski rack on when you remove the skis, only issue is opening the back door with skis on, it’s doable but very heavy.

View attachment 28641
Hi Aoife, thanks for sharing. I've bought the nordrive ski rack and I already have installed the VW bike rack. My question is how did you manage to bolt it? Did you use an extra complementary piece?
I see a black piece on the base but I don't if it's an extra one or it's the slider to pull them out.
Thanks in advance

Continuing the theme, this is bolt on to the Fiamma rack, just removed the bike part and attached the ski rack. 05D19CEB-9727-461A-953D-E911FE0B4A94.jpegIMG_6842.jpeg

For Beach owners, this weekend I had 6 skis and one snowboard on the floor between the 1st and second row, 7 people, 7 pairs of boots on the multiflex and 7 soft weekend bags below it. Also did this for the French Alps the first week of January. Next week, second row seats out, 2 people, two skis and two bikes in the van for 5 days skiing, hiking, biking and living in the van.

What an amazingly flexible vehicle, love it!

Last edited:
IMG_7240_Original.jpegIMG_7245_Original.jpegHello.
Could you tell me what system is used to attach the board to the roof vertically? I do a lot of windsurfing and the ski trunk and board option on the roof is great. Many thanks.
I made it. Designed to bolt onto the Thule roof bars.

IMG_7243_Original.jpeg

Back