Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How low is your California?

My T6.1 California Beach Camper is due to arrive Tuesday and I'm trying to decide how low to go.

I need to lower it a little to get it in the garage (2m ish garage door but with the slight slope I'd like a bit of contingency - especially given the reports from some that their calis are taller than the 1995 advertised.

From conversations I think the options that give the best ride at each height are

Koni Special Active Shocks with -40mm springs
Koni Sport Short Shocks with -50mm springs
Eibach Coilovers at -60mm (VW Warranty friendly option)
KW/H&R Coilovers at -60mm (aledgedly better ride and definitely cheaper)

Appreciate there are other options and brands, but these are the ones I've narrowed it down to with all the non Eibach options recommended by CRS, the Eibachs are only there as VW approved.

Decision will primarily be based on drop, head says 40mm will be enough but hearts says to go lower (as will look better)!

What height do you ride at, pic says a thousand words...
I think mine is 30mm

Screenshot_20211213-135510_Gallery.jpg

Can anyone recommend best shocks to run with the H&R 40mm drop springs? Need to replace standard shock on the bus for something a bit less choppy.... Though these might be good?
Choppy is normally due to stiff damping but as you have standard dampers it would normally give a 'bouncy' under damped ride when stiffer lowered springs are fitted. In effect a mismatch of damper-springs.

Koni Active may be the best option.
Note there might be discounts over Xmas period. (I got 20% discount offer for parts recently from this supplier)

40mm lower on H&R springs. 18 steels....

View attachment 87533

Did you change shocks as well? I'm considering this option as currently sitting at 2.0m and want a small clearance for car parking barriers.

If I don't have to change the shocks I'd be more willing to get this done.

Coil over kit by CRS Performance. Koni shocks with coil over springs. Done by previous owner and gives a lovely ride. See profile pic.

1 full height 17” wheels
2 lowered Eibach adjustable coilovers 17” wheels
3 lowered Eibach adjustable coilovers 20” wheels.

Two years ago. Never looked back. Kept the original wheels and suspension just in case we ever wanted to revert back or for when we sell on.

One thing to bear in mind is how you want the ride to feel. The standard set-up for me was very floaty especially at speed and when cornering.

The current (modified) set up gives me far more confidence and is not too firm. Apparently 30mm lowered springs only is firmer but I have no experience of those.

Didn’t go too low but can’t remember the exact drop, but we did slightly more at the front.

I seem to recall there are different models of coilovers depending on the weight of your Cali.

4B7C30B2-8788-4F7E-8AE4-554344A96F38.jpeg

A25F11AB-083F-4117-97C3-92DFAC4169AF.jpeg

BFD7E2A9-924A-456C-B2B3-2824E4C08B25.png

Correction. The first two pics above are before suspension was modified. Here’s the pic after lowering before the new wheels were added (as you can see we had the front splitter fitted at the same time).

A8404AF3-4745-4B44-852D-5B618D2D593B.jpeg

Before and after: 195k km had taken the best out of the original rear springs so that was clearly lower than the front (f: ~440 / r: 400mm center to arch). Once fitted AP-coilovers each corner was adjusted so that center to arch dimension is 390mm which is the lowest ”allowed” in Tüv-documents (ie. will pass the MOT and remain the part manufacturers warranty of those suspension bits).97C37D19-B689-4B72-A870-D6A9A4CCDC85.jpeg

I believe it was lowered 60mm. Not had any problems, and as I said great and more comfortable drive.

Congrarulations if someone finds your reply being on any appropriate level…

There will be many members who prefer a van level, with correct balance and steering.
You make your choices, I’m happy to educate others for a balanced conversation…

There will be many members who prefer a van level, with correct balance and steering.
You make your choices, I’m happy to educate others for a balanced conversation…
just remind the people what your qualifications are regarding how to set up a vehicle correctly

just remind the people what your qualifications are regarding how to set up a vehicle correctly
Why? Are you an expert with advanced qualifications?

Last edited:
The -30mm springs lowered the front down 40mm and the back only 20mm. Hence the average is 30mm.

I will let Volkswagen take the lead here and set the vehicle up correctly…

I can comment from experience, on how unsettling the van was to drive, with a raised rear end. I can also comment how the California was never level for sleeping.
I can comment after making these errors and re-correcting them back to factory parameters and report how much better the van was to drive.

What experience do you have…?

Very smart, what make of coil overs and how is the ride/ more rattles?

Twin adjust Projekt, not cheap but great quality with Koni dampers and Eibach springs, ride was as good if not better than standard on the original 17" wheels, now I'm on 20" with a 35 profile tyre the rattles are there!

Before and after: 195k km had taken the best out of the original rear springs so that was clearly lower than the front (f: ~440 / r: 400mm center to arch). Once fitted AP-coilovers each corner was adjusted so that center to arch dimension is 390mm which is the lowest ”allowed” in Tüv-documents (ie. will pass the MOT and remain the part manufacturers warranty of those suspension bits).View attachment 87550
Great colour choice.:thumb
Its my doppelgänger.
IMG_2254.jpg

Back