Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to Fix Kitchen Tap and Water Pump Problem and solution.

If you search how to fix kitchen tap and water pump . It should come up. Hope this helps.

hi all, any ideas why my tap does not draw water from a full fresh water tank? At first it sounded like there was air in the system, with intermittent delivery of water and now nothing. I can here the micro switch when turning tap on but nothing else happens.

I've looked at the tank's pump and nothing looks odd there.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated before I take it to the vw garage.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan
Hi Alan,

You can test the pump by disconnecting the electrical socket near the tap. With a short piece of wire you can then jump the circuit on the connector block that's not on the tap side. If your pump works then there's a chance the micro switch in the tap needs a clean. This happened to me in our T4 which has the same tap as the T5. Hope that helps. A lot easier than removing the pump to check it. However the pumps can stick sometimes and you'd need to remove it to give the impeller a spin to free it off.

Hi Alan,

You can test the pump by disconnecting the electrical socket near the tap. With a short piece of wire you can then jump the circuit on the connector block that's not on the tap side. If your pump works then there's a chance the micro switch in the tap needs a clean. This happened to me in our T4 which has the same tap as the T5. Hope that helps. A lot easier than removing the pump to check it. However the pumps can stick sometimes and you'd need to remove it to give the impeller a spin to free it off.
Many thanks for tip, will give it a go and report back. Cheers Alan

The wires will unclip then you need to take the top off water tank pull pump out . You could try turning the little bit on bottom of pump might get it going . Hardest bit is getting lid off you need to make a tool. I used a length of 2 x 1and to bolts to get on the fins of the lid . There is a very good description on here somewhere try the search button.
Thanks for tip Jeff. Will give it a go and report back. Alan

Dear Everyone with the "no water coming out of the tap problem".
Thank you jeetu2k for the photos! and all the other tap problem posts and thanks to all of your input I got a pump from eBay for £13 + postage. I'm a practical woman but with no electrical/mechanical/motor vehicle repair experience but having had SEVERAL very expensive bills from VW garages for other work I was d.....d if this was going to be another VW garage rip off. I could hear a click when I turned on the tap so fingers crossed it wasn't the micro switch. My California is a 2006 SE TDI that I've had since 2011. I followed the guidance from all of you brave souls ... got my "tool" made from a bit of kindling with a couple of bolts 3" apart to get the lid off. Pulled out the old pump, cut the wires, used some 'joiners' and insulating tape and hey presto I have a new pump and water coming out of the tap. Without the FORUM I'd be facing ANOTHER HUGE VW RIP OFF BILL. So THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO INSPIRED ME TO DO IT MYSELF.

PS none of the previous info on the fuse positions were relevant - mine isn't under the driver's seat ... I did go through EVERY 5amp I could find and they were all good so deduced it was the pump.

Hi thanks for everybody's help so far. It is definitely the tap micro-switch. I have tried sanding it and using contact cleaner. It now works intermittently at least. I think replacement is the answer. Has anyone ever attempted this?
Hello @Eddie Kelsall. Did you get your tap fixed? I would of thought that this would be a warranty issue given you're avatar suggests you're driving a T6 Ocean.

Hi all who've had tap woes. I've 'borrowed' my brothers California but the tap has been intermittent and eventually stopped working. I've checked the pump, and it's free to rotate with no signs of contamination. I then looked at the micro switch on the tap to clean the contacts, although when I pulled the handle off, a small brass clip has came off as well. I can refit it as I believe is correct (curve to the inside), but each time I refit the tap I can hear the micro switch, but then a sort of crunch and the clip pops off again.
Anybody else experienced this or know the correct fit for the small clip?

IMG_0661.JPG

We have an intermittent tap problem too. Sometimes you can hear the pump trying, sometimes there's just nothing at all, then sometimes as if by magic it just works. We're still in warranty, so I shall take it back to VW for a fix, but I am super, super impressed with the description of how to fix and the photos. Don't you just love this forum??!!

I had another 'play' tonight but I think I'd almost given up to be honest. In the end I reattached the small (read tiny) clip but this time attached the handle while in the 'water on' position, reinserted the 5 amp fuse and what do you know the tap works!
I'm still not sure the clip isn't fouling, but using the tap gently it works fine. Thank god, as replacing the tap looks a right pig of a job!

I would add just one comment - the fuse probably blows because the pump is faulty.

I tried descaling my pump but that's not worked so just going to replace it now.

I helped a mate fix a 'no water' problem today. Tap clicked, but no pump action. No volts at the pump connector. Blown fuse under the seat the cause. New fuse brought volts at the pump. Trying to operate the pump blew the fuse again. Pump did seem seized and was eventually freed up. New fuse = pump runs = celebration. Put back together, fill with water, fuse blows again!
Conclusion is the pump although now free, it wasn't free enough and was pulling more than the 5A fuse. New pump sourced and fitted. Another new fuse and all seems good.

All these threads very helpful!

As a separate point, the instructions with the new pump (VIP brand....exactly as the OE), contain an alarming statement:
"Keep the pump from freezing. For Winter storage, remove pump from water tank and disconnect. Carefully drain all the water from the pump"
I know there is some advice on the forum about draining the system for winter but I don't think this point is specifically covered. The implication is the pump unless evacuated left sitting in a drained tank could be damaged by frost. I doubt anyone is removing the pump from the tank....you'd have to unwire it....but does the current advice see the pump evacuated of any remaining water?

As a separate point, the instructions with the new pump (VIP brand....exactly as the OE), contain an alarming statement:
"Keep the pump from freezing. For Winter storage, remove pump from water tank and disconnect. Carefully drain all the water from the pump"
I know there is some advice on the forum about draining the system for winter but I don't think this point is specifically covered. The implication is the pump unless evacuated left sitting in a drained tank could be damaged by frost. I doubt anyone is removing the pump from the tank....you'd have to unwire it....but does the current advice see the pump evacuated of any remaining water?
Yes. Disconnecting the Tap plug or removing the fuse and then opening the tap allows pump/ pipes and tap to be drained.

I have a no water problem and I know how to fix it - I pick up the phone and ring a man who can!

Yes. Disconnecting the Tap plug or removing the fuse and then opening the tap allows pump/ pipes and tap to be drained.
Would that purge the pump body?
I wonder if the procedure should be (1) empty tank, (2) run pump 'dry' for 20 seconds (to force air through the system...I know you can burn the pumps out), (3) then remove fuse or disconnect tap plug (4) leave tap in open position.

I have a no water problem and I know how to fix it - I pick up the phone and ring a man who can!
It depends on how good your 'man who can' is! (And if he's read the threads). As we've heard, VW have charged £400+ to fix a basic problem for which the fix is very well documented here. Only basic tools required and quite satisfying, and you end up knowing a lot more about your vehicle should you hit problems when away camping.

Would that purge the pump body?
I wonder if the procedure should be (1) empty tank, (2) run pump 'dry' for 20 seconds (to force air through the system...I know you can burn the pumps out), (3) then remove fuse or disconnect tap plug (4) leave tap in open position.
It’s just an impeller Type Pump. No valves etc, just a rotating vane that basically blows water into the pipe to the tap.

Hi all who've had tap woes. I've 'borrowed' my brothers California but the tap has been intermittent and eventually stopped working. I've checked the pump, and it's free to rotate with no signs of contamination. I then looked at the micro switch on the tap to clean the contacts, although when I pulled the handle off, a small brass clip has came off as well. I can refit it as I believe is correct (curve to the inside), but each time I refit the tap I can hear the micro switch, but then a sort of crunch and the clip pops off again.
Anybody else experienced this or know the correct fit for the small clip?

View attachment 24321
Hi

Did you ever find out the correct fit for the small clip ? We have a similar problem !!

Curve to inside is right. But the secret is to have the tap switched on. If it is in closed position the micro switch will just fall apart when putting tha handle back on the tap. Disconnect the wiring under the sink makes it easier.

Curve out!
Checked my micro switch today, the curve is out, not inside!

Would it be possible for you to post a photograph as I also cant yet work out how it goes back on ? I'm sure others have had this tiny part come undone.

Are these any use to you?

f7afe69027c32c84880aac3c1f6fcd2e.jpg
7069f83b34fa921e94f2b7e9a5ef6c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back