Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

So talking bollox in the pub last night……..

Possible near future EV scenario with most of the cars on the road being battery powered.

Depths of winter, sub zero temps.
Motorway pile up, let’s say a foggy M40 classic shunt.
Drivers stranded for hours on a closed road.
Heaters on to keep warm.
Hours later, hundreds of stranded vehicles with flat batteries.
Literally days to clear the stranded cars.

:cheers

We did a little maths on this forum a couple of years ago. I think we worked out that the Tesla’s heated seats could be powered for a couple of days trapped in a snowdrift with the battery at 50%.

So talking bollox in the pub last night……..

Possible near future EV scenario with most of the cars on the road being battery powered.

Depths of winter, sub zero temps.
Motorway pile up, let’s say a foggy M40 classic shunt.
Drivers stranded for hours on a closed road.
Heaters on to keep warm.
Hours later, hundreds of stranded vehicles with flat batteries.
Literally days to clear the stranded cars.

:cheers
After 14,000 miles in of EV ownership….No issues with running out of juice.

The idiots who leave home with a reserve tank,( ev or ice) will always struggle.

Was the grim reaper also sat in your pub, or just the usual “we fear change crowd”?

Had my first nose at buzz cargo 3types on display in Hawco.
Looked pretty cool and think they said very short wait on cargo with single paint.
Had a white cargo one in showroom, with twin slider and tailgate.
Think the rear spoil will make it harder for anyone to make a bike rack for them.
Did like the look though.
9B7B3502-024C-46C0-A4F2-FC01A6267B86.jpeg

After 14,000 miles in of EV ownership….No issues with running out of juice.
Take your 14k miles and raise it to 43k in 24months, although I'm not the main driver. My fellow director, who has less mechanical consideration and runs on "just on time" time, is. He is not allowed to charge at home.

I've run out of juice numerous times on a motorbike. No fuel gauge being the key issue and only the reserve providing an early warning.

Bjorn Nyland - who has one of the best YouTube channels about EV's - has done a road trip with the Buzz in arctic conditions and slept in it!

He's quite impressed. Check out his channel for the other videos.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Just to add context to this thread, as far as size is concerned, the Buzz is not a replacement for the T5/6, since the dimensions, especially the interior, are considerably smaller. Some of us need the space for family and equipment, so the upcoming Transit based Transporter built by Ford in Turkey will be the true replacement. It'll be interesting to see what build quality is like and what electric options this model will offer. With current battery technology, a hybrid would seem to be the best option for long trips in a camper van, but that could change. The current Transit hybrid now on sale uses a petrol motor which is not connected to the wheels to recharge the battery, so I can see many variations of this setup playing out until battery technology advances to the point that's it's a practical alternative.

Last edited:
Just to add context to this thread, as far as size is concerned, the Buzz is not a replacement for the T5/6, since the dimensions, especially the interior, are considerably smaller. Some of us need the space for family and equipment, so the upcoming Transit based Transporter built by Ford in Turkey will be the true replacement. It'll be interesting to see what build quality is like and what electric options this model will offer. With current battery technology, a hybrid would seem to be the best option for long trips in a camper van, but that could change. The current Transit hybrid now on sale uses a petrol motor which is not connected to the wheels to recharge the battery, so I can see many variations of this setup playing out until battery technology advances to the point that's it's a practical alternative.

The only problem with that is, it might look like a Transit…:D
I guess someone’s got to date the ugly sister.

I still don't understand why everyone is so excited about this vehicle. Yes it's cute, but unless things have changed, even VW have previously said that it isn't the base vehicle that any future California replacement is likely to be based on.

On a different EV note, we visited youngest daughter and son in law last Saturday. He took me for a drive in his brand new Porsche Taycan Turbo S EV. I was genuinely impressed with this car. It has a sexy shape, gorgeous colour (green), is roomy and has utterly superb build quality. That point even qualified me to finally tell him that the Tesla he's just got rid of was utter crap in that department. The boot didn't fit properly from day one and the other panel gaps were all over the place! I really don't understand all the Tesla hype. Take out all the irrelevant artificial fire side, farting, door wagging celebration nonsense and your left with a fast but IMO, poorly built, electric jelly mould. Just my opinion!

Back to the Porsche. The Taycan's ride was very comfortable and the noise levels were very low. Didn't see the point of the function that creates an electronic noise when driving though. That gimmick seemed un-necessary and a bit cheap for a Porsche.

The range he quoted didn't strike me as that great but since he works from home and this is basically his toy, I doubt if that's ever likely to be an issue.

The acceleration was in a league that I haven't experienced before. It was instant and vision altering. This demonstration was on damp greasy roads so he didn't even give it the full beans! Something, I was very grateful for.

If all EV's were that good I could drum up a lot more enthusiasm. Mind you at what one of these chaps cost it really a should be very good!

Was I envious? No. I was very pleased for him as it was the car he had wanted all along even before he bought the aforementioned "jelly mould". However, in my mind, there are still many unanswered questions about the future of EVs and anyway, this sort of car has never been my thing, EV or ICE.

We drove home in my late father's eighteen year old Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel. If the drive for EV's is mainly about saving the planet then get one of these instead. A much greener choice IMO.

I think VW have indicated that there will some sort of California based on the ID platform. Perhaps more of a day van like many of the original Splittie Type 2 T1.
Size wise I can't see why it won't be big enough once the long wheelbase one is with us, probably next year.
The California dimensions are :- h 1990 l 4904 w 1904.
The ID.Buzz dimensions are :- h 1937 l 4712 w 1985.
So the Buzz is 81 mm wider and 192 mm shorter, which will be fixed with the long wheelbase one.

I think VW have indicated that there will some sort of California based on the ID platform. Perhaps more of a day van like many of the original Splittie Type 2 T1.
Size wise I can't see why it won't be big enough once the long wheelbase one is with us, probably next year.
So the Buzz is 81 mm wider and 192 mm shorter, which will be fixed with the long wheelbase one.
It won't be a long wheel base in the sense we know for the T6, rather a modified Cargo built on the ID4 MEB chassis, which is already available. Both the ID buzz and Cargo share the same chassis. Given the internal dimension limitations I can only see a Cali Lite being offered.

The potential killer is going to be the range. 200 ish miles is just not enough and then something approaching an hour to recharge if you can find a working fast charger. Great for a round town works van, as for the rest more technology improvements will be needed. Bigger lighter batteries - they might come in a few years - or not!

It won't be a long wheel base in the sense we know for the T6, rather a modified Cargo built on the ID4 MEB chassis, which is already available. Both the ID buzz and Cargo share the same chassis. Given the internal dimension limitations I can only see a Cali Lite being offered.

In all fairness.
That’s exactly what I’m in the market for. An EV Cali lite or Cali Beach if you will.

I use this for the camping stuff now
4ECD05CB-2590-4950-8157-9953ED232037.jpeg

The potential killer is going to be the range. 200 ish miles is just not enough and then something approaching an hour to recharge if you can find a working fast charger. Great for a round town works van, as for the rest more technology improvements will be needed. Bigger lighter batteries - they might come in a few years - or not!
500kg maximum payload is going to be a major factor.
Will be up to limit '6 up' with no luggage, so no real use as (e.g.) airport transfer vehicle, and even lite camper conversion will push limit.

When you going to show us round?
Hope they don’t have a forum.

It needs a clean, trip to Yorkshire last weekend was a bit dirty.
Yes, I know. Sounds very wrong…

I still don't understand why everyone is so excited about this vehicle. Yes it's cute, but unless things have changed, even VW have previously said that it isn't the base vehicle that any future California replacement is likely to be based on.

On a different EV note, we visited youngest daughter and son in law last Saturday. He took me for a drive in his brand new Porsche Taycan Turbo S EV. I was genuinely impressed with this car. It has a sexy shape, gorgeous colour (green), is roomy and has utterly superb build quality. That point even qualified me to finally tell him that the Tesla he's just got rid of was utter crap in that department. The boot didn't fit properly from day one and the other panel gaps were all over the place! I really don't understand all the Tesla hype. Take out all the irrelevant artificial fire side, farting, door wagging celebration nonsense and your left with a fast but IMO, poorly built, electric jelly mould. Just my opinion!

Back to the Porsche. The Taycan's ride was very comfortable and the noise levels were very low. Didn't see the point of the function that creates an electronic noise when driving though. That gimmick seemed un-necessary and a bit cheap for a Porsche.

The range he quoted didn't strike me as that great but since he works from home and this is basically his toy, I doubt if that's ever likely to be an issue.

The acceleration was in a league that I haven't experienced before. It was instant and vision altering. This demonstration was on damp greasy roads so he didn't even give it the full beans! Something, I was very grateful for.

If all EV's were that good I could drum up a lot more enthusiasm. Mind you at what one of these chaps cost it really a should be very good!

Was I envious? No. I was very pleased for him as it was the car he had wanted all along even before he bought the aforementioned "jelly mould". However, in my mind, there are still many unanswered questions about the future of EVs and anyway, this sort of car has never been my thing, EV or ICE.

We drove home in my late father's eighteen year old Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel. If the drive for EV's is mainly about saving the planet then get one of these instead. A much greener choice IMO.
Has he received his Porsche Christmas pressy? (Biscuits)8C2CF13D-577C-4FC3-8A9E-C8D80D87426D.jpeg

Someone posted the interior dimensions of the Buzz, with the observation that while being wider than the T6 outside it is narrower on the inside, due to it's car-based platform. Does anyone have that info? If true, the long wheelbase won't fix that.

Someone posted the interior dimensions of the Buzz, with the observation that while being wider than the T6 outside it is narrower on the inside, due to it's car-based platform. Does anyone have that info? If true, the long wheelbase won't fix that.

@7:26

Too bad he doesn't mention internal width, although I suppose it would just be a matter of ripping out the internal panels.
Yes, I think that is a prerequisite to maximise the internal space

So what is the attraction? The styling or the EVness?

If VeeDub rolled out a diesel Shazza looking like that, would you buy it?

There are loads of similar sized EVs out there much cheaper so it has to be the looks?

Combo of the two?

Back