Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ignition key fob too sensitive

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

I've seen earlier postings with similar issues.

One of my remote key fobs has become ultra sensitive.

If I put the key in my pocket and am in range then the fob will lock and unlock the Cali on its own.

I cannot see any physical damage and have replaced the battery.

It started doing this last year, and we began to notice that we could park up, lock up and return later to find the windows down or find the van locked/unlocked.

We had the van coded so that the van bleeps now. Once to lock and twice to unlock. This has helped, but again if I put the key in my pocket when still in range, we might hear the bleeps to inform that the van has unlocked. So we have to run back to check everything and lock up again.

Recently the action of locking and unlocking has become repeated, so that we'll get repeated burst of double bleeps. It does appear more a problem with the unlocking button,

I have now started to use the spare key fob and this is fine.

The key is sealed so I can not get to see inside.

Any thoughts please?

Hello,

I've seen earlier postings with similar issues.

One of my remote key fobs has become ultra sensitive.

If I put the key in my pocket and am in range then the fob will lock and unlock the Cali on its own.

I cannot see any physical damage and have replaced the battery.

It started doing this last year, and we began to notice that we could park up, lock up and return later to find the windows down or find the van locked/unlocked.

We had the van coded so that the van bleeps now. Once to lock and twice to unlock. This has helped, but again if I put the key in my pocket when still in range, we might hear the bleeps to inform that the van has unlocked. So we have to run back to check everything and lock up again.

Recently the action of locking and unlocking has become repeated, so that we'll get repeated burst of double bleeps. It does appear more a problem with the unlocking button,

I have now started to use the spare key fob and this is fine.

The key is sealed so I can not get to see inside.

Any thoughts please?
Update.

I put the affected key in to a plastic bag to store.

I noticed a couple of days later that the bag was misted.

I think that water has gotten in, so have now added some rice to the bag to try to dry out any moisture.

How much does it cost to get a replacement key? Any recommendations on not going with VW on this?

When I've gotten electronic stuff wet I leave it in our airing cupboard (always dry and warm) for a few days. If you have an airing cupboard it's worth a try.

When I've gotten electronic stuff wet I leave it in our airing cupboard (always dry and warm) for a few days. If you have an airing cupboard it's worth a try.
No airing cupboard, but tip to use rice is common to dry out mobile phones etc. If there is any moisture in there then it completely messed with the electronics in the key.