Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

If there is any irregularity regarding emissions or other significant reason which conflicts with the vehicle being road legal the dealer cannot release the vehicle in under instructions from VW. I agree entirely it is woeful that VW have caused this but there is nothing buyers can do short of cancelling orders . It is not long ago Mercedes had to recall vehicles for emission issues too. The emission levels set by the EU are extremely difficult to achieve especially in the time scale the manufactures were given and the reality is the vehicles referred to under this nonsense are the cleanest they have ever been.
My point is that if the poster has paid for the vehicle and the vehicle is registered to the poster, then it is not for the dealer to deny the poster of their property, whatever VW say to the dealer.

If I go into a shop to buy a loaf of bread, hand over the cash, am given change and receipt, then the baker tells the sales assistant not to sell me the bread - does the baker have the right to keep possession of my loaf?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hmg 11 is saying his has been registered but not taxed !!!

Have you paid for it hmg11?

And you could end up with a 67 plate van and not getting it until the 18 plate is out While I do not mind what pate is on my van when I buy it - I would not be happy with picking up a new van with an old plate

I would be looking for some substantial additional VW support if this was my van.

One thing not being able to collect it at the moment but another if it is already registered and the warranty is ticking away and depreciation has already started!

I dont recall anyone saying they had actually paid in full for a van that hasn't been delivered. Using the analogy though if its been registered and paid for theoretically you could take it away but you would not be allowed to drive it on road as it wasn't taxed.

My point is that if the poster has paid for the vehicle and the vehicle is registered to the poster, then it is not for the dealer to deny the poster of their property, whatever VW say to the dealer.

If I go into a shop to buy a loaf of bread, hand over the cash, am given change and receipt, then the baker tells the sales assistant not to sell me the bread - does the baker have the right to keep possession of my loaf?

It seems strange as new vehicles are normally registered and taxed at same time. Tax is paid online and instant cover so there seems to have been some hiccup or irregularity in this instance. As for legality over handing over or not, the dealers hands are tied by VW so any argument as to compensation is the only course or refund of all monies. As said this is very poor show by VW but the fact is this is where we are. If the emissions are the cause no court would find against VW for stopping delivery. Sad that this has happened again.

Our van has now been sat undercover at the dealership for a month - and I assume it's not been moved, started or hooked-up in that time. Do any of you have any advice on what we should be asking the dealership to do, so as to protect the batteries on the van? Or when we should ask for this to happen?

I'm conscious that if this goes on for a few months, then it'll have been sat still for a long time...

Our van has now been sat undercover at the dealership for a month - and I assume it's not been moved, started or hooked-up in that time. Do any of you have any advice on what we should be asking the dealership to do, so as to protect the batteries on the van? Or when we should ask for this to happen?

I'm conscious that if this goes on for a few months, then it'll have been sat still for a long time...
Should be plugged into the Mains Hook-Up for a minimum 12 hrs every 4 weeks to maintain charge in Leisure and Starter Batteries. According to Handbook.
Inform Dealer that if not done and battery voltage low on pickup - Less than 12.5 volts on Control Panel, then you may ask them to be replaced before you take vehicle.

Should be plugged into the Mains Hook-Up for a minimum 12 hrs every 4 weeks to maintain charge in Leisure and Starter Batteries. According to Handbook.
Inform Dealer that if not done and battery voltage low on pickup - Less than 12.5 volts on Control Panel, then you may ask them to be replaced before you take vehicle.

Thanks WG - I'm (quietly) confident our dealership will be fine with this, but could be interesting for those who have said in other threads that their dealerships don't understand the nuances of the California quite so much!

Thanks WG - I'm (quietly) confident our dealership will be fine with this, but could be interesting for those who have said in other threads that their dealerships don't understand the nuances of the California quite so much!
Too True.
I doubt if many Dealers actually have a Mains Hookup Cable to hand. I know they do not test the Mains Hookup and Charger etc: as part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection.

What @WelshGas said. Definitely replace the battery's if they are not fully charged on handover.

Well, a big thumbs up for West Yorks Commercial - they do a charge as part of PDI and had scheduled another 24hr charge for this week due it being with them for a while...

What about the poor buggers whose vans are stuck in Germany?

I can't imagine VW are going to be that bothered about charging those...

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you...

We have paid £15000 deposit for the van. The finance company didn’t give the remaining amount so the van had not been paid in full - we are hoping to hear from our dealer about getting our deposit back but it apparently isn’t straightforward (of course!)

If I’m honest, I don’t actually know if the vehicle is registered to us - would it have been registered to the dealership on the 4th for them to change over to us at the same time as getting it taxed? Never bought a new car before haha! Either way it’s got 67 plates on and we’re not going to be getting it til at least a quarter of the way through 2018.

Like carriecali I’m concerned that by the time we get the van it will have been sitting for quite a few months having not been used but will be in touch with the dealer about charging the batteries.

If you're the first owner/you ordered it & it's not a demo or whatever, should just have been registered straight to you.

I bought a "pre-reg" but it hadn't been registered as just in, so they regged it in my name.

Thinking about, as I sit in a VW dealership bored, I don't think they would register it to you without full payment, so that's where you may have got caught. Get on to them, find out, I think...

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you...

We have paid £15000 deposit for the van. The finance company didn’t give the remaining amount so the van had not been paid in full - we are hoping to hear from our dealer about getting our deposit back but it apparently isn’t straightforward (of course!)

If I’m honest, I don’t actually know if the vehicle is registered to us - would it have been registered to the dealership on the 4th for them to change over to us at the same time as getting it taxed? Never bought a new car before haha! Either way it’s got 67 plates on and we’re not going to be getting it til at least a quarter of the way through 2018.

Like carriecali I’m concerned that by the time we get the van it will have been sitting for quite a few months having not been used but will be in touch with the dealer about charging the batteries.

It is registered to the dealer, it is a pre-registered car and you should be looking at a ~15% discount on the list price.

If it registered to you, you are responsible for taxing or registering it as off the road. Maybe the dealer has done this for you.

I see no justification in a finance company holding £15,000 in escrow.

It is registered to the dealer, it is a pre-registered car and you should be looking at a ~15% discount on the list price.

If it registered to you, you are responsible for taxing or registering it as off the road. Maybe the dealer has done this for you.

I see no justification in a finance company holding £15,000 in escrow.

Thanks, can I ask why they would pre register it? We ordered it back in September. The 15000 is with VW not the finance company so it’s the dealer that has to give us that back but I’m guessing they are trying to get something from VW before they give it back.

Thanks, can I ask why they would pre register it? We ordered it back in September. The 15000 is with VW not the finance company so it’s the dealer that has to give us that back but I’m guessing they are trying to get something from VW before they give it back.
I paid a £500 deposit on a California. I received an email 19/12/17 to say the vehicle had been registered and gave me the registration number but that it could not be released. I was told I would be contacted when the dealer had news from Volkswagen. Nothing since then.

I paid a £500 deposit on a California. I received an email 19/12/17 to say the vehicle had been registered and gave me the registration number but that it could not be released. I was told I would be contacted when the dealer had news from Volkswagen. Nothing since then.

Sounds very similar to our situation - we paid the 500 when we ordered but then paid the remaining 14500 deposit once the car got to the dealership and was registered. The only reason we didn’t get the van as soon as it arrived was because my husband was working away and we wanted to wait til he got home.

Sounds very similar to our situation - we paid the 500 when we ordered but then paid the remaining 14500 deposit once the car got to the dealership and was registered. The only reason we didn’t get the van as soon as it arrived was because my husband was working away and we wanted to wait til he got home.

As it has been registered, I would at least make sure that the manufacturers warranty is extended by VW FOC for at least another year.

I would not be happy accepting a 67 registered van so close to the 18 plate without some form of additional financial support.

It's not your fault it has been registered but can't be released.

Last edited:

If you ordered it, it shouldn't be registered to the dealer.

They normally only register cars near the end of the month to hit sales targets which would then get them an additional back end bonus from VW.

As Amarillo states, if they have registered it to the dealer, you would then be the 2nd owner and that should mean about a 15% discount.

As one of the poor buggers who’s van is stuck in Germany....

Excuse the ignorance but don’t VW just isolate the batteries prior to shipment? The delivery process normally takes about 4 weeks before arriving at the dealers during which time by VW’s own rules the van would need to be plugged in....

If that isn’t the case, I will be carefully checking the voltage come (eventual) pick up Day as it will likely be 2 - 3 months sitting in a car park also presumably open to the wintry German elements.

Back