Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Makes you wonder exactly what they have changed. The engine is fitted to lots of various models and apparently the 150 is reckoned to be the best all rounder (according to every reviewer in the magazineso_O) so what has gone wrong in the last 6 months. Have they changed the software settings or some other modification trying to meet levels? As the vans and SUV's using the engines are unaffected something seems wrong.

Makes you wonder exactly what they have changed. The engine is fitted to lots of various models and apparently the 150 is reckoned to be the best all rounder (according to every reviewer in the magazineso_O) so what has gone wrong in the last 6 months. Have they changed the software settings or some other modification trying to meet levels? As the vans and SUV's using the engines are unaffected something seems wrong.
Totally agree I don’t see any 150 panel vans mentioned on the honest John report?? just cali’s velle’s and window van??
Maybe these have stricter guidelines??

Totally agree I don’t see any 150 panel vans mentioned on the honest John report?? just cali’s velle’s and window van??
Maybe these have stricter guidelines??
That's because at the end of the HJ report it said that N1 vans were not affected due to the different emissions levels between the types.

That's because at the end of the HJ report it said that N1 vans were not affected due to the different emissions levels between the types.
I didn’t know what a N1 van was? so that bit made no sense to me ha ha
I take it that means derived vans eg panel vans cheers

yep

M1 is a car
N1 is a van

different standards
I presume the converters are not at all bothered by this situation cos their finished products are still registered as vans/motor homes, VW continues to shoot itself and its buyers in the foot.

P

So in English M1 vans California’s are affected because they have a lower emmisions level than the N1 vans.....?

My understanding was M1 are taxed based upon declared emissions, N1 are a flat rate tax irrespective of emissions.

Therefore if M1 emissions are wrong its conning the tax man. If N1 emissions are wrong who cares....

yes thats right too - M1 taxed upon CO2 (VED and BIK), N1 fixed VED and fixed BIK.

Converters use vans and then register them as motorhomes (sometimes) so yes, not affecting them either :(

My understanding is the Marco Polo is M1 registered though...

California Chris is back and has posted a new video on youtube. (Not really worth watching)

But the comments on it are interesting and he's said the following:

"We are in the process of filming a video to explain what we know ref the registration of California. Currently we are awaiting updates on the situation from VW and I hope all is sorted by March. The RDE testing is only mandatory from September 2019 for current models and the last thing I read was that no vehicles currently meet the RDE2 standard. I have been informing customers that the VED will rise by a banding in April. Will do a seperate video on this as not very clear and I'm still trying to get my head around it !"

And also:

"We are in the process of doing a video to update every body on the current issue which we hope to have out on Sunday at the latest. In the meantime California can still be ordered only the 2.0TDi 150PS engine has been removed from sale."

Guess what we've got on order? Damn!
my mam could have said that.

yes thats right too - M1 taxed upon CO2 (VED and BIK), N1 fixed VED and fixed BIK.

Converters use vans and then register them as motorhomes (sometimes) so yes, not affecting them either :(
Yep, once it meets the DVLA requirements, then it can be reclassified. Just a letter to do so with proof of conversion.

Could we re-classify a Cali to be a camper van and pay fixed VED / BIK then I wonder??
Not a hope in hell. The government want your money and as far as VW are concerned the Cali is passenger carrier (car).

The vehicle classification of M1 or N1 cannot be changed for the life of the vehicle.

You could buy a top of the range van and install a California interior and roof and then. change the Body Type to Motor Caravan. N1 Motor Caravan. Lower VED etc.

Also if you have N1 classification you have to observe the lower speed limits like the vans have to...

Also if you have N1 classification you have to observe the lower speed limits like the vans have to...
I believe if the Body Type on the V5c is Motor Caravan, even if the Classification is N1, then the Commercial speed limits do not apply according to many on the T4/T5 Forum.

I believe if the Body Type on the V5c is Motor Caravan, even if the Classification is N1, then the Commercial speed limits do not apply according to many on the T4/T5 Forum.
Yes absolutely, and would then still be subject to the delays...

Yes absolutely, and would then still be subject to the delays...
I think not as the delayed vehicles are Classified M1.
None of the mainline converting companies, using new vehicles are affected as they use a Commercial N1 Base Vehicle.

I think not as the delayed vehicles are Classified M1.
None of the mainline converting companies, using new vehicles are affected as they use a Commercial N1 Base Vehicle.
Then they reclassify them and as soon as they need to do that they will get blocked.. But It's all speculation and reminiscent of the build delays in 2016...

Back