Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Then they reclassify them and as soon as they need to do that they will get blocked.. But It's all speculation and reminiscent of the build delays in 2016...
The Classification of ALL conversions from a new Base Vehicle remains N1, only the Body Type changes.

https://www.campervanlife.com/conversions/legal-information/

In particular

Why Re-register as a “Motor Caravan”?
Although you do not need to re-register a campervan conversion, here are the befeits of doing so

1. Cheaper Insurance – Generally leisure vehicles such as campervans are cheaper to insure the panel vans. This is because they generally have fewer claims, do fewer miles and are not used for commercial use. Keep in mind that you can still get your self build insured as a campervan even if the vehicle is registered as a panel van. Campervan insurance is generally 10% – 50% cheaper than van insurance.
  2. Contents Insurance – Vehicles registered as campervans generally have better contents insurance than panel vans. This is because a campervan contains personal belongings such as mobile phone, laptops, jewellery, etc. Whereas a panel van typically contains tools and parts for commercial use.
  3. Might be able to travel faster – Vans with an unladen weight of under 3050kg can travel at a maximum of 60mph on a dual carriageway. But this increases to 70mph on a dual carriageway for vehicles registered as campervans. All other speed limits remain the same. Vehicles with a unladen weight over 3050kg (i.e. all 3500kg vans) have no change in speed limit when re-registering as a campervan.
  4. Cheaper MOT – Class VII vehicles (between 3000kg and 3500kg) registered as camper vans come under the cheaper and less restriction Class IV MOT rules. When inspecting the vehicle the MOT tester has to test the vehicle “as it is presented”. So if a campervan is presented, that would normally be class VII, even if it is not re-registered as a campervan, the MOT tester should test is as class IV vehicle.
  5. Might get cheaper ferry prices – Travelling on a ferry is typically cheaper for a campervan or motorhome than a commercial van. Most ferry companies look at a converted campervan and are happy for it to pay the cheaper campervan price. However, a few ferry companies will use the DVLA log book classification to determine whether to price the vehicle as a commercial vehicle or not.

Last edited:
Hi there. Just adding myself to this topic.
We have a 204 DSG 4M on order and too have been told it can’t be released from the factory due to some conformity regulation.
Ours had a build week of week 50 last year.
We haven’t heard anything apart from the dealers phone call telling us of the problem and reading us the letter they’d received from VW.
We ordered 31st October in time for the price increase.
Originally we requested March delivery but got excited when we heard it could be with us in January.
I too have sold my car to help finance the purchase but luckily we have a second car we can both use while we wait.
Dealer reckons they’ll be in touch as soon as they hear something.
We’re Gutted but kinda happy at the same time as new reg in March is now a possibility again and probably a nicer time of year to start the Cali lifestyle.
This is a Great forum!!
Cheers!

We’re Gutted but kinda happy at the same time as new reg in March is now a possibility again and probably a nicer time of year to start the Cali lifestyle.
This is a Great forum!!
Cheers!
Every cloud has a silver lining :thumb

I agree with WG. Kombi and transporters are not effected. Only California and Caravelle are.

Whilst I appreciate that this is distressing for people who have already ordered/purchased and have their vehicles stuck at the dealers waiting for registration, has anyone any idea how all these issues, which seem to relate to the certificate of conformity, will affect T6 Californias which are already registered?

I agree with WG. Kombi and transporters are not effected. Only California and Caravelle are.
Apparently Transporter window vans used by some converters are also class M1 and affected too.

California Chris was going to post an update in their latest video (due today). A video has been posted, but nothing was mentioned about the emissions issue.

I guess you'd have to assume that he has either been silenced by VW HQ or they haven't got a solution for the problem.

California Chris was going to post an update in their latest video (due today). A video has been posted, but nothing was mentioned about the emissions issue.

I guess you'd have to assume that he has either been silenced by VW HQ or they haven't got a solution for the problem.
Truth is he is probably as much in the dark as we are. VW seems to be keeping all information secret unaware that it is angering their customers.

VW are going to say nothing until they have Real driving emissions sorted and at a level that they have promised the various taxation authorities.

They have said mid-february so expect mid-february. They are not going to be accused and found out of cheating again so they are going to say nowt until they have satisfied everyone with their emission data submissions.

It is hugely frustrating but they are not going to all risk going to the slammer, nor be seen to be cheating, so they are being ultra pedantic and ultra cautious in future relationships with watchdogs. Who can blame them.

Once established as being truthful, honest and transparent with the authorities the lying devious bastards will sell vehicles to their customers again.

Last edited:
@GrannyJen - My view too. (Though not perhaps not yet quite as jaded as the last para!)

For the mid-Feb reference, may I ask where you've heard that? I've seen nothing concrete yet about dates for more information, only what appear (from my reading) to be loose promises to me and other forum members from dealerships. Knowing a date would stop me waiting for an unknown at least!

@GrannyJen - My view too. (Though not perhaps not yet quite as jaded as the last para!)

For the mid-Feb reference, may I ask where you've heard that? I've seen nothing concrete yet about dates for more information, only what appear (from my reading) to be loose promises to me and other forum members from dealerships. Knowing a date would stop me waiting for an unknown at least!

It was first mentioned in the German auto magazine that broke the story and subsequently mentioned elsewhere such as here: https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-n...-california-caravelle-shuttle-and-window-van/

In fact VW appear to have said Mid-February to everyone except their dealers and customers, to whom they have said nothing.

Press release
The Volkswagen brand handed over a total of 6.23 million vehicles to customers worldwide in 2017, making last year the most successful yet in the history of the brand.

Wonder how far down the pecking order of importance we are with our insignificant numbers?

Press release
The Volkswagen brand handed over a total of 6.23 million vehicles to customers worldwide in 2017, making last year the most successful yet in the history of the brand.

Wonder how far down the pecking order of importance we are with our insignificant numbers?

I had a letter congratulating me on being number 6,229,345. Basically it said "Dear Jen, I hope you like our new personal touch, service with a smile from all at VW." signed Matt Muller. Obviously a flunky in their marketing department :shocked

After initial disappointment I have to say VW customer services have excelled.

They are dropping off an Audi Q7 courtesy car tomorrow until either they can get me a loan cali or mine is released.

G

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I spoke to my Spanish dealer today about the hold on registrations and he said it is only 150 & 204 manuals.
I thought it a bit strange as some on this thread have dsg´s on hold as well, he said there is no plan at the moment to recall my 150 dsg for an update.

He already has 10 that can´t be registered and some people are now re-ordering (I assume dsg´s) because they expect to get them before their original one is released.

Doesn't sound right. No California's are getting through are they?
None are leaving the dealers and none are leaving the factory no matter what engine or gearbox combo.

Doesn't sound right. No California's are getting through are they?
None are leaving the dealers and none are leaving the factory no matter what engine or gearbox combo.
A little bit of the conversation was lost in translation but it was definitely only manuals and some people had re-ordered.

Maybe they’re re-ordering petrols?
Are petrol Calis on hold too?
All I know is my 204 TDI DSG 4M is on hold.

It is to do with emissions and nothing else from my information (VW source).
As for dealers saying manual transmission ??? Who would stop delivery of all people carriers and risk the fall out if it only applied to that type. Remember the T6 van versions are still selling in great numbers and yes manual transmission which makes me wonder exactly what is going on.
Sorry but the nonsense given out by some dealers is just that. I think we would be better just sitting back until they (VW) condescend to tell us the real story. Or as the great GJ would possibly say - Lie through their teeth!!

I feel sorry for those with vans on hold and I hope you get them before the spring season, this post is going around in circles. Need some Fact or Fiction buttons.

I feel sorry for those with vans on hold and I hope you get them before the spring season, this post is going around in circles. Need some Fact or Fiction buttons.
I think you are correct that this thread is going round in circles and that is primarily because of a lack of information and/or strategy from VW.
The other point which concerns us is that once VW do decide how to proceed and presumably make changes to the engines what effect will that have on the performance. Will they still perform as stated in the brochure?
These 2 points have made us decide that we do not want the cali that has been sitting at the dealer for some weeks now so we have cancelled the order and we are now looking for a used California.
We find it quite astonishing that VW seem to be repeating many of the same mistakes they made when they had the emissions problems on the cars.

Incidentally I have phoned a couple of VW dealers in the last few days asking about used californias. They have taken a note and said they would phone me back with details in 30 mins. I have yet to receive a call!

There is as much fake information going around as there are fake emissions :(

Back