Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

That's a bigger difference than I thought! Not sure what difference they'll be in the real world with the economy - maybe VW are trying to be more honest :veryfunny

So much depends on the driving conditions.

150 DSG Beach

I've managed well over 45mpg over 400 miles on a mixture of about 50% motorway and 50% country roads, including big hills and wet and dry. This was a brim to brim measurement. The MFD showed 18.2 Km/l (51 mpg).
30c9c7af446b76faa0138952f5369f55.jpg

408e637b10f728a44e53cbeee63f5539.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I can't remember what the exact quoted figure was before for the 204dsg, but 38.7mpg & 190g/km IIRC isn't very far away.

Speculation that the power outputs would be reduced hasn't materialised.

I just wish VW would tell us what they're planning to do with the vans that are already in the system...

Interesting. So those of us who have vans that are built and now are being shipped - no doubt will have had some engine remap work done but what CO figure will they have and be registered against for the V5 and for VED purposes then?

I wonder if the vans in transit haven't had a remap though... maybe this will be applied at the dealer.

Perhaps they were holding the vans at the factory just in case the 'fix' wasn't approved so it would be easier to make any more complicated alterations, now they know it's OK, the dealer can apply the software update.

Presumably at least this means that the KBA have accepted the fix - or surely VW wouldn't have reopened the order book...

All just speculation from my side.

In the mean time, just checked with VWCS again and they expect my van will be on a ship within the next 2 days....

The 204DSG was 44.1mpg and 169g/km

As far as the power reductions are concerned, that was due for MY19 for May/June.

A substantial difference that could be attributed to either different method of testing or engine remap or most likely a combination of the two!!!!

I wonder where all this tighter legislation will leave aftermarket remap companies in the future. It seems crazy to clamp down on manufacturers but then have zero regulation for the aftermarket. If I wanted to, when my van arrives I could get it mapped to 270+ bhp with no clue how much CO2/NOX and I would be under no obligation to tell anyone other than my insurer - is this really the case?

A substantial difference that could be attributed to either different method of testing or engine remap or most likely a combination of the two!!!!

It will be really interesting to see if they actually deliver any different real world MPG to the early (pre diesel gate) T6 Euro6 engine/gearbox combinations.

I wonder if they are just having to be a bit more realistic about what MPG it will do now rather than the crazy numbers they used to produce..

I start this with the caveat that I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. BUT...

Maybe VW have had the consumption and emissions figures verified by KBA and so the models can now appear on the configurator with the new (correct?) figures. So that anyone ordering from today does so knowing what the "true" figures are.

For those of us who have vehicles already built, we ordered based on the old figures for consumption/emissions which our vehicles presumably can't meet, hence VW would not be supplying as per the contract. The potentially leaves them open to breach of contract claims, compensation, right to refuse the order etc. and so they're still trying to work out what to do about our vehicles. I've seen/heard a lot about a "fix" for our vehicles (on here and from VWCS) but surely if there was a fix that enabled them to meet the old figures they'd just apply it to all vehicles including those ordered from now on, rather than delivering new vehicles with lower consumption/higher emissions?

It's lucky the California isn't available in the USA, the conspiracy theorists would have a field day...

Unfortunately I was right not to see the developments over the previous days through rose coloured glasses.

It is important to get confirmation from VW whether the vehicles being delivered are fully compliant with Euro 6 catagorisation they were originally assigned when we entered into contract, I.e.when they accepted our deposits. ALSO are the mpg values the same or have they been revised down in line with those now published on the configurater. They can rightly claim these mpg values are not absolutes however, if they have change relative to there previous value we need to be told.

If the answer is the vehicles they are about to supply are more polluting and relatively less efficient than was being advertised when they accepted our deposits they are in breach of contract. That goods supplied not as advertised. Their is loss of bargain. They should offer compensation that reflects the cost to us over the life of the vehicle and value when time comes to sell. Very difficult to a value on, and compensation paid cannot be seen to be punitive, but what ever the value it is not nothing. The fact VW will be pick up the cost for any extra VED due is not part of this compensation as they are liable for that cost. Don't let them fool you into thinking otherwise.

Important we push VWCS about the fix and if our vans compliant with original spec (CO2 MPG) if not why not and if so, how so, given the new ones are not.

I hope VW will play fair acknowledge they cannot meet their contractual obligations and offer fair compensation accordingly.

Well I've just done some quick calcs based on the 204 DSG - the pre-change MPG average (41.5 mpg) and post change, (38.7 mpg).

For 10k miles and a fuel cost of 119.9p/ltr, that difference makes £95 difference in fuel cost. Mine will be on a 4 year PCP, so that's £380.

That is of course if the MPG is actually 2.8mpg worse in the real world than the previously sold equivalent vehicle spec.

Can I really be bothered to chase them for £380? Not really sure I can...

agree .... also off topic sorry :)

Last edited:
Well I've just done some quick calcs based on the 204 DSG - the pre-change MPG average (41.5 mpg) and post change, (38.7 mpg).

For 10k miles and a fuel cost of 119.9p/ltr, that difference makes £95 difference in fuel cost. Mine will be on a 4 year PCP, so that's £380.

That is of course if the MPG is actually 2.8mpg worse in the real world than the previously sold equivalent vehicle spec.

Can I really be bothered to chase them for £380? Not really sure I can...
I agree, I'm not bothered either, I'd rather just have the car. I guess VW are hyper-sensitive to anything emissions related nowadays and don't want to open themselves to any litigation. But as they're not really saying anything to anyone, who knows?

That’s a lot of lowered Cali’s!!

Just been on to Ismahil at VWCV chat. MY 204 DSG was released for shipping on the 3/3/18. Then up to a week to assign to the ship, another week to arrive in uk port, another week to be released from the ship, then another week to be assigned transport to the van centre. That’s a lot of weeks!

He did confirm that “the issue has been resolved” when asked again about the German authorities approving the fix, replied “the issue has been resolved”. So guess the issue has been resolved then!?!?

He did confirm that “the issue has been resolved” when asked again about the German authorities approving the fix, replied “the issue has been resolved”. So guess the issue has been resolved then!?!?
I hope you’re right, I also chatted online with VWCS this afternoon and I asked if there were any restrictions to registering my van when it arrives at the dealer, they said that they “weren’t able to confirm that”

I think if your van arrived at the port last weekend, it will be in the UK latest early next week (I was told today that mine will be on a boat in the next couple of days and the crossing is no more than 24hrs). VWCS were saying a week or two ago that they had measures in place to get the vans to customers more quickly than normal once they were released.... we’ll see.

So referring to the current configurator and an MY18 brochure before they were withdrawn, a T6 150 DSG diesel has gone down on the combined cycle by 3.3mpg to 41.5 and up 13g/km in C02 to 177.

Over the lifetime of my vehicle I will spend an extra £1000 on fuel and generate 10% more pollution. That is worthy of some consideration in my books

So referring to the current configurator and an MY18 brochure before they were withdrawn, a T6 150 DSG diesel has gone down on the combined cycle by 3.3mpg to 41.5 and up 13g/km in C02 to 177.
If I were to take punt on this, I would put my money on the regeneration process not being part of the consumption or emissions calculations.

What odds will people offer me?

If I were to take punt on this, I would put my money on the regeneration process not being part of the consumption or emissions calculations.

Do you mean it wasn’t included in the original figures, but it is in the new ones, hence the difference?

Do you mean it wasn’t included in the original figures, but it is in the new ones, hence the difference?
That was my assumption, and regen so often it was bound to mess up their perfectly crafted laboratory test as soon as real world test started.

Yes - sorry, I should have been clearer about what I meant.

They may have made some other tweaks, but the problem was one of conformity by not including the regeneration in the stats.

This is all just a guess.

I’m with you on this. As far as I can tell, not including the regeneration process would make quite a difference - mine is doing it so often it’s driving me NUTS! Did it on Friday lunchtime, I did 40 miles on Sat and 4 miles on Sunday.

Regeneration happened again Monday Lunchtime! Fuel gauge dropped. It’s so annoying as it’s always in a built up area so surely it’s counter productive, pollution-wise?

I thought it happened more often if you drive short trips but I drove non stop from The Alps to Eurotunnel 2 weeks ago and it started DPF Regeneration as soon as I arrived at the terminal! It’s crackers and very annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the lifetime of my vehicle I will spend an extra £1000 on fuel and generate 10% more pollution. That is worthy of some consideration in my books
I'm not a Legal expert but WHY?

All VW have to do before you finalise the purchase is to inform you of a change in the Advertised MPG and CO2/N2O figures and ask if you are prepared to accept this change. If the Answer is NO then you get your Deposit back. If the Answer is YES then you get title to the vehicle and that is that.

The ONLY people who, In my Opinion are entitled to compensation are those you had a Guaranteed Delivery Date which has been delayed due to this Problem. How many had a Guaranteed Delivery Date in writing? Very few I bet.

Another group who could be in line for Compensation are those already in procession of a T6 bought with the originally specified MPG and Emissions who now see their vehicles re-categorised - Maybe.

Another question. What if it had gone the other way - Improved MPG and Emissions. Would those awaiting delivery be happy and be prepared to pay More for their cleaner vehicles? I doubt it.

And lastly, Hand on Heart, how many buyers would admit that MPG and Emissions was a deciding factor in their purchase of a VW California?

Possibly True, but consideration by YOU not VW. If you say NO then these non-registered vehicles will go onto the forecourt at full price. VW will not lose out in the longterm looking at the lead times for new orders.

I'm not a Legal expert but WHY?

All VW have to do before you finalise the purchase is to inform you of a change in the Advertised MPG and CO2/N2O figures and ask if you are prepared to accept this change. If the Answer is NO then you get your Deposit back. If the Answer is YES then you get title to the vehicle and that is that.

The ONLY people who, In my Opinion are entitled to compensation are those you had a Guaranteed Delivery Date which has been delayed due to this Problem. How many had a Guaranteed Delivery Date in writing? Very few I bet.

Another group who could be in line for Compensation are those already in procession of a T6 bought with the originally specified MPG and Emissions who now see their vehicles re-categorised - Maybe.

Another question. What if it had gone the other way - Improved MPG and Emissions. Would those awaiting delivery be happy and be prepared to pay More for their cleaner vehicles? I doubt it.

And lastly, Hand on Heart, how many buyers would admit that MPG and Emissions was a deciding factor in their purchase of a VW California?

Possibly True, but consideration by YOU not VW. If you say NO then these non-registered vehicles will go onto the forecourt at full price. VW will not lose out in the longterm looking at the lead times for new orders.

And I believe some have had a free upgrade to DSG.

I doubt you will use any more fuel than previously, the only change is to the calculated consumption & emissions in the document. Ie the document is probably slightly closer to the truth than before.

Back