Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

hello guys,
I'm also waiting for my new VW bus. Very happy to found this forum and to know that I'm not alone in this awful situation.
Today I called my VW dealer an told him that I would like to cancel my oreder. Then he finally told me for the first time what is all about...
VW was trying to achive the emissions that were declared in the certificate under wich all the VW M1 vans were sold from 2015. They didn't sucsseded with the software change so VW was forced to submit the actual emissons data and apply for an new certificat...
Now the first certificars for the DSG came out this week and next week will arive the certificates for MANUAL engines...
PS
sorry for my ''tarzan'' english ;)
Best regards from Slovenia....
Thanks for the information, that sounds very plausible, your English is excellent by the way!

Where are you getting your status updates from Will? It's is awaiting a ship & I'm wondering where to stay sleuthing?!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yep - as has been said, tracking the Weser Highway (given that it seems to do the Emden / Grimsby runs). It's only a guess but seems plausible that it will be on that ship. VW CS (online chat) have told me it is going to Grimsby.

So much depends on the driving conditions.

100% - I had a return trip to Castlebar last week, and as I had loads of time, decided to drive "like how I think you drive"

Distance was 172miles outbound, and 183miles return - As I decided to mix the route up a bit. My normal is circa 33mpg, and I use the "Road Trip' app to meticulously measure fuel consumption at the pump. The info display normally shows between 35-36mpg.

On last week's trail, the MFD reports 42.1mpg and when I did a brim-to-brim, it worked out at 41.6mpg.

I was pretty surprised..... My average speed, I felt was between 50-60mph.... I did coast a bit, keeping speed down (rather than what I usually do, that's keeping foot pressed on the pedal at pretty much all times.)

Wondered where you’d got to!

@itguy is likely tracking the ship here:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9065417

Our vans will likely be going to Sheerness, I haven’t found the name of the ship doing this route...
Had a look through some previous hyper stalking posts and City of Oslo and Makkaser Highway have both been on the Sheerness route...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Regardless of whether the mpg and emission have got worse due to the “fix” or whether they where always incorrect the vehicle being supplied is not to the specification they was stated at the time we entered into contract [paid a deposit]. As I keep stating VW are as a result in breach of contract. A company in breach of contract cannot simply put in the position you were in before the contract existed. That is they cannot simply give you back your deposit and cancel your order. This is true even if VW believe they can or have a condition in the contract that says they can. A company cannot override contract law with their clauses. True you could roll over and accept the van as is or even choose to cancel your order. However, if you choose not to then the company in breach of the contract has to make a fair and reasonable offer to the agrieved party to reflect the goods are no longer to the quality specified. With regards to the item being better quality than specified. No of course the party supplying the goods cannot legally demand more money as a result. With regards to whether mpg and emissions was a deciding factor. This does not matter The facts remain the same, it just seems that you are happy to accept the goods as is. Bye the way has anyone at VWCS actually confirmed they are shipping and given permssion to the VW Dealerships to register them? Check out ‘loss of bargain’ and ‘loss of bennit’ contract law. Then tell me I wrong. Check my previous contributions to this thread and you will find I have been right so far, unfortunately!

You make an excellent point and I wish you good luck in suing VW for breach of contract.

I just want my vehicle and will have had a lot of use out of it before you get any success with suing VW. In fact it will probably cost you more than the price of your van.

Now back to finding out a shipping date ...

Show me something that the dealer has signed that states they are going to supply you a california exactly as described in the brochure dated XXXXX

See my previous post about what the contractual remedy is if is not to the agreed specification.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, now we've come back from Mars and caught up on this post we understand why the Cali we ordered at the start of October was not delivered on the promised date of the 1st March (and yes I do have that in writing)! The problem is that we were never told by VW till the middle of last week and that was after multiple phone calls. The issue is we brought the van for a specific purpose and we need the van this weekend, last week Jay told us no problem on a loan one, today we are told there is no suitable vehicle that we can be loaned. This means we now need to shell out for hotels and various other things while we wait for the van. (On the positive side we have been told the van is at the port waiting to be shipped). We've now been told the only thing we can do is to try and hire a van from somewhere ourselves, and VW 'may' reimburse us, and that we need to write a complaint. I know that we probably should have picked up on this issue earlier, our bad, but I cant believe how hopeless VW are being, and we still have no date for delivery. Have we just been really unlucky with the lack of suitable hire vechicle, or have others had the problem?

Show me something that the dealer has signed that states they are going to supply you a california exactly as described in the brochure dated XXXXX

See my previous post about what the contractual remedy is if is not to the agreed specification.

I was careful to ensure the Dealership quote referenced the configured spec which I made a PDF copy of and included in our corrospondence. Once they accepted my deposit this spec was now part of our agreement. It includes the lab derived mpg and emissions. MPG and emissions are factors when choosing a vehicle. It is that simple. No need to send for men in white coats.

Hi everyone, now we've come back from Mars and caught up on this post we understand why the Cali we ordered at the start of October was not delivered on the promised date of the 1st March (and yes I do have that in writing)! The problem is that we were never told by VW till the middle of last week and that was after multiple phone calls. The issue is we brought the van for a specific purpose and we need the van this weekend, last week Jay told us no problem on a loan one, today we are told there is no suitable vehicle that we can be loaned. This means we now need to shell out for hotels and various other things while we wait for the van. (On the positive side we have been told the van is at the port waiting to be shipped). We've now been told the only thing we can do is to try and hire a van from somewhere ourselves, and VW 'may' reimburse us, and that we need to write a complaint. I know that we probably should have picked up on this issue earlier, our bad, but I cant believe how hopeless VW are being, and we still have no date for delivery. Have we just been really unlucky with the lack of suitable hire vechicle, or have others had the problem?
I ordered in August Simon, was told 1st March for delivery and it is showing on the system as confirmed build week 50, but no-one seems to know where it is or even if it's been built (computer says nein). I also had trips away booked and although VW have supplied me with a courtesy car it's not a Cali so you're definitely not alone...

I ordered in August Simon, was told 1st March for delivery and it is showing on the system as confirmed build week 50, but no-one seems to know where it is or even if it's been built (computer says nein). I also had trips away booked and although VW have supplied me with a courtesy car it's not a Cali so you're definitely not alone...
Ours was build week 49, and we know it is now at the port, which is progress.........so maybe yours is there too.....

100% - I had a return trip to Castlebar last week, and as I had loads of time, decided to drive "like how I think you drive"

Distance was 172miles outbound, and 183miles return - As I decided to mix the route up a bit. My normal is circa 33mpg, and I use the "Road Trip' app to meticulously measure fuel consumption at the pump. The info display normally shows between 35-36mpg.

On last week's trail, the MFD reports 42.1mpg and when I did a brim-to-brim, it worked out at 41.6mpg.

I was pretty surprised..... My average speed, I felt was between 50-60mph.... I did coast a bit, keeping speed down (rather than what I usually do, that's keeping foot pressed on the pedal at pretty much all times.)
I managed another 18.2 Km/l (51.4 mpg) on the MFD on an unladen 300 Km return trip to Athens Airport on Tuesday. I don't know what the actual figure was as I didn't do a brim to brim measurement. I reckon the MFD over reads by 5-10%.

500m on local roads, 15 Km on empty country road then the rest on empty motorway stopping five times each way for tolls.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

it's not a free upgrade if you didn't want it.
Exactly! I categorically ordered a manual California because it is what we prefer. To go to the trouble and expense of selling our 10 month old / 6,000 mile DSG bus last November purely to go back to a manual version and to be told our new bus which arrived in the UK in December is/has been sent back to Germany to be bailed and we’re getting a another vehicle 4 months down the line with a free DSG upgrade is hideous.
None of this has anything to do with the environment, it is just utter idiocy to satisfy a world gone mad.

I’m with you on this. As far as I can tell, not including the regeneration process would make quite a difference - mine is doing it so often it’s driving me NUTS! Did it on Friday lunchtime, I did 40 miles on Sat and 4 miles on Sunday.

Regeneration happened again Monday Lunchtime! Fuel gauge dropped. It’s so annoying as it’s always in a built up area so surely it’s counter productive, pollution-wise?

I thought it happened more often if you drive short trips but I drove non stop from The Alps to Eurotunnel 2 weeks ago and it started DPF Regeneration as soon as I arrived at the terminal! It’s crackers and very annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
s2bear, when you drive, do you Rev the engine to 4-5000 rpm? If you have a DSG, shift it into sports mode. If you have a manual, then that is easy. Especially when joining the motorway via a slip road gives you the opportunity to floor her and give the engine some muscle to help blow the soot away. Have seen that this greatly reduces the regen process on a diesel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes but it should not be necessary and will wreak havoc on MPG. I think you get yours checked the the VW Dealer that's not normal. I drove to Mid Austria and back recently without a regen.

s2bear, when you drive, do you Rev the engine to 4-5000 rpm? If you have a DSG, shift it into sports mode. If you have a manual, then that is easy. Especially when joining the motorway via a slip road gives you the opportunity to floor her and give the engine some muscle to help blow the soot away. Have seen that this greatly reduces the regen process on a diesel.

Actually no, I haven’t driven like that in this car (previous ones yes), I guess as it’s new-ish I suppose I’ve been bumbling around with kids on board but I see what you’re getting at - thanks for this. I shall do some cobweb blasting and see if regen becomes less frequent.

I’ve done almost 5,500 miles now but almost 1,000 of those was importing it, then 2 trips to the alps and back is another 3,000 meaning day to day usage doesn’t account for much so what you say makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My previous diesel Passat had no DPF. When I floored the accelerator, the rear view mirror was useless for a quite a few seconds! It was an excellent way to keep tailgaters at a reasonable distance. I miss that feature :(

All that pollution (thick smoke) is now captured by the DPF. So flooring it may not be so helpful but keeping the revs up may be beneficial.

Are manuals gone for good or is their a date when they can be ordered again?

Are manuals gone for good or is their a date when they can be ordered again?
Not sure about beach, but you can currently order a manual ocean with the 150tsi or the 150tdi 4motion (no dsg for these versions)

I looked today:

BEACH only 150PS available to configure...

Beach - 150 Manual Gearbox TSI only
Beach - 150 DSG Gearbox TDI only

Ocean - 150 Manual Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 150 DSG Gearbox TDI
Ocean - 150 Manual Gearbox 4Motion TDI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox TDI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox 4Motion TDI

My late 2017 150PS TDI Beach Manual is suddenly unique o_O

Last edited:
I looked today:

No Manual 150 TDI in Beach or Ocean.

Ocean - 204 Manual Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 150 DSG Gearbox 4Motion TDI

I hope it is unique in a Good Way.

I looked today:

No Manual 150 TDI in Beach or Ocean.

Ocean - 204 Manual Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 150 DSG Gearbox 4Motion TDI

The Ocean 150tdi 4motion manual is listed on the configurator

Patience. I think you will find that the manual version certification is coming. They have still left the old CO2 output on the Transporter Kombi with the old CO2 figures and they are still available to order.

The Ocean 150tdi 4motion manual is listed on the configurator

I have updated my list original I missed that. Very odd that they list a 150 4motion manual and not a 150 2WD Manual.

Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 150 Manual Gearbox 4Motion TDI

Last edited:
An update of sorts...

We've got a new case manager and he's expecting letters to be sent to customers by COB Monday (Latest) explaining what is going on.

Thankfully our van is now at the port of exit. It will be transferred to Sheerness and held there until the fix is approved.

CM said that VW have a team on standby to apply the fix before onward delivery to the dealer and they seemed to imply that this would be applied at the port before import into the UK.

I asked why vehicles were being moved before the fix was approved and he said that this was due to capacity at the factory. i.e. They've run out of space!

Fingers crossed the imminent letter will be good news and outline a timetable for remediation and delivery.

Back