Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Has it been registered?
Nope - they were going to register it on Friday. So I've got a detailer spending money on it and cameras and speakers being added and I don't even own it! Happy Christmas! :(

So no vehicle and lots of places to be at Christmas!
Everyone will just have to come to you instead, get some extra Brussels Sprouts and Parsnips in!

This is so rotten after all that patience while waiting and intricate planning for the big day.

There'll prob be bigger tears now!
Make sure the Dealer witnesses these, they need to see what a severely dented dream is like.

Just a had conversation with my dealer, still no further forward and still no reason why there is a halt on registrations.

VW CS also rang me. The gentleman explained that my information was indeed correct and they’re waiting on an official statement from VW. Here’s hoping for more information tomorrow.

I’m still optimistic that I will be driving my Cali home for Xmas

Just a had conversation with my dealer, still no further forward and still no reason why there is a halt on registrations.

VW CS also rang me. The gentleman explained that my information was indeed correct and they’re waiting on an official statement from VW. Here’s hoping for more information tomorrow.

I’m still optimistic that I will be driving my Cali home for Xmas

Did the dealer give you any reason to be more optimistic? At least your dealer is talking to you...

Fingers crossed for you!

Not sure if this sheds any light but i sent a nosey message to my dealer to check if this is something i should be worried about (i was lucky to push my handover through a week before this).....

" The reports you have seen are sort of correct. It is not just the California that is affected it is all M1 Class vehicles (passenger carriers) like the Caravelle or California vehicles. We had an email form brand a few days ago stating they cannot be taxed at this moment in time.

As always with VW they have not released much information to us here as of yet…"

Why? I can't imagine that anyone in the chain has contractually committed to a specific delivery date? - everything is an estimate, for exactly these kind of reasons.

@Blue Juice has posted a press article link above saying they've found a problem, created a software fix, and it's now going to take 6-8 weeks to get it certified & retrofitted to as-yet unregistered vehicles. A further stage will then be to identify & then apply to any affected earlier T6s, presumably as per recent 'product enhancement' update, though this does sound more like it'll be a recall as perhaps more 'serious'.

Some people are going to have their estimated delivery date delayed (I'd be livid) into February & VW have handled communications badly so far, but there's no need to go full Ally McBeal.

For example; ‘he was going to register it on Friday’ is just a little bit specific maybe? Particularly with it sitting there in the workshop having parts added. VW must have their reasons for this, but I’m guessing it won’t be good news for potential owners, whatever it is. Costs will be incurred compensation is due. This is more than just a slippage in build date.

But why stop registrations?

If it's fixable, why not register and then fix. I think they're worried about the regulators.

Be interesting to see if it's cars or vans too. It would be unfair if it's just those registered as cars, as essentially they're the same vehicle?

But why stop registrations?

If it's fixable, why not register and then fix. I think they're worried about the regulators.

Be interesting to see if it's cars or vans too. It would be unfair if it's just those registered as cars, as essentially they're the same vehicle?
I beileve that is just the Cali, Caravelle and Shuttle.

Whilst having our service today I tried to do a bit of digging around, all I could find out was they are no longer able to take orders for the California, Shuttle or Caravelle until further notice. Does this mean this could be something a bit more log winded?

[…]
" The reports you have seen are sort of correct. It is not just the California that is affected it is all M1 Class vehicles (passenger carriers) like the Caravelle or California vehicles. We had an email from brand a few days ago stating they cannot be taxed at this moment in time.
[…]

Well that’s your answer then. Sounds to me like they’ve found out that actual emissions don’t (currently) match the stated specs = don’t match the tax band & therefore registering yet more vehicles after it’s been discovered would be dodgy / wrong / illegal.

No doubt there’s then a huge rigmarole to demonstrate the software fix does work to the satisfaction of regulators, and then to retrofit it to vehicles that’ve already left the factory (unsold & still on VWs books).

Multiply that up by many countries / governments & remember that most (all?) dealers are franchises & independent companies not owned by VW and it’ll take a while yet.

Surprised it’s not been in mainstream press yet, quite a juicy story in the wake of recent events.

Hope this doesn't affect the Crafter - I just ordered one this week!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hope this doesn't affect the Crafter - I just ordered one this week!

M1 – as defined in EC Directive 70/156 “vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat”.

CO2 emission is ascertained as part of the Type Approval process, and is recorded on individual vehicle’s Certificate of Conformity.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/605333/v355x1-notes-about-tax-classes.pdf

So if @Jason wallace dealer is saying all M1s, then that’s why it’s Calis & Caravelles, but not Transporters.

Last edited:
So when I said on another thread "picking up on Friday ....and I really hope it works out ok because I'm selling our car tomorrow... could be an awkward Christmas otherwise!" I was kind of joking - knowing that all of the usual obstacles had been overcome! Imagine my surprise on my way back on the bus from having sold the car to see this thread and then confirming with the dealer today :Depressed! So no vehicle and lots of places to be at Christmas! :headbang

@Grant5 and @Properjob Good luck with getting this sorted out. If it's any consolation, I took delivery of my van 2 weeks ago before any of this news broke, and whilst I'm really pleased with the van, I'm also wondering whether this could turn into a depreciation problem for my van and/or a load of hassle for me. If I were you, I think I'd rather it was sorted before I took delivery. Ultimately if it can't be quickly sorted, then you are probably best off keeping the money in your pocket and depending on what the outcome is you can either take the vehicle knowing all the information, or consider if you have the option to reject it if it is not what you were led to believe it was when you ordered it.

Anyway, good luck re-working your plans, and hope that this is sorted quickly for you. :thumb

@Grant5 and @Properjob I'm also wondering whether this could turn into a depreciation problem for my van and/or a load of hassle for me.

It could be the reverse, if the supply of new vans has stopped the value of any already registered should hold firm.

If this isn't sorted by spring there could be a real shortage of calis available this summer.

It could be the reverse, if the supply of new vans has stopped the value of any already registered should hold firm.

If this isn't sorted by spring there could be a real shortage of calis available this summer.
Fair point! :) Let's hope it is sorted quickly and easily whatever then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why has this not reached national press or motoring press yet, not even any mention on other forums yet

Why has this not reached national press or motoring press yet, not even any mention on other forums yet

How many caravelles & calis do you think VW sell in December? theres probably only a handful of people affected, hardly headline material.

I popped into Llandudno & asked them, as I was visiting the physio over the road. No clue about this issue.

OT : I did get a data plug & they have a lovely yellow 7-seat Beach on display!

D'oh, I didn't ask, I was telling the guy there about Tom instead of asking the sensible questions. :)

Back