Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Do we need to go to the press with this? It seems in life nothing actually gets sorted unless the popular press get on the case! Worried about our order that we placed in October although I really hope by the time it arrives in the UK all will be sorted. Our dealer promises he will keep us posted.....sorry for all that were hoping to collect this week!

I really can't see the press being interested in a handful of people not getting their £60k christmas presents on time.

Whatever has caused this action, and it certainly seems associated with RDE discussions with the EU regulators, is being kept under wraps, I suggest because no one yet has an authorised fix or a timetable for a fix.

Do we need to go to the press with this? It seems in life nothing actually gets sorted unless the popular press get on the case! Worried about our order that we placed in October although I really hope by the time it arrives in the UK all will be sorted. Our dealer promises he will keep us posted.....sorry for all that were hoping to collect this week!

Why?

Well, I heared from my dealer today....

No update on what the issue is, however apparently my van is in build stage 7, no idea what that means... I have previously been told it had a confirmed build date of week 49 which is a week or two ago...

But once built, if it can't be registered it's all a bit irrelevant :confused:

New pricelist up now - dated today with the newly restricted model options.

No diesel manuals in Ocean, and only diesel beach is a 102hp 5 speed.

Only other manual options are an ocean or beach in 150 TSI petrol.

Only 4motion option across whole range is a 204 DSG 4motion Diesel Ocean.

Have we seen the last of the 150 TDI Manual Ocean I wonder?? That used to be a real decent spec and value entry point to the Ocean range. Cheapest diesel ocean is now nearly £56k, with the TSI manual petrol being £53k.

Just feels like they are trying to usher the TDIs out, but make as much money as possible in the process...

Don't read too much into the latest pricelist. They chop and change with the tides.

Just had a quick squis elsewhere and it appears Motability are converting a load of T6s and can't register them...

Just had a quick squis elsewhere and it appears Motability are converting a load of T6s and can't register them...
That would make sense assuming they use Transporter window vans specifically supplied for third party conversions, unlike Kombis etc they are designated class M1 ex-factory according to the VW website. So companies like Danbury etc may well be in the same predicament.

New pricelist up now - dated today with the newly restricted model options.

Only other manual options are an ocean or beach in 150 TSI petrol.

Only 4motion option across whole range is a 204 DSG 4motion Diesel Ocean.

Have we seen the last of the 150 TDI Manual Ocean I wonder?? That used to be a real decent spec and value entry point to the Ocean range. Cheapest diesel ocean is now nearly £56k, with the TSI manual petrol being £53k.

Just feels like they are trying to usher the TDIs out, but make as much money as possible in the process...
Looks like the California brochure and configurator have just received similar updates too.

This certainly puts the roof issue into perspective, I really feel for all those expecting to take delivery of their new vehicles, hope VW manage to get this sorted for you soon.

Amazing - was it only 6 months ago that folks were bemoaning the fact that the petrol version was't available in the UK? Fickle or what?

Amazing - was it only 6 months ago that folks were bemoaning the fact that the petrol version was't available in the UK?
It is frustrating that VW offer a broader selection on the continent. If I could have ordered a Beach TSI (with DSG) I would have done.

The latest debacle might change this. Who knows.

I will be annoyed if it suddenly crops up on the UK configurator before ours arrives.

This certainly puts the roof issue into perspective, I really feel for all those expecting to take delivery of their new vehicles, hope VW manage to get this sorted for you soon.

Hardly - this is likely a temporary blip until a retrofit software fix is applied (I'm assuming) to harmonise across NOx output, claimed emissions & the resulting taxation. It's a compliance issue.

The roof about is physical corrosion blighting two generations with an horrendous backlog & ultimately poor solution involving the van being away halfway across the country for weeks.

VW have known about this for at least 2-3 weeks in Germany, if it was as simple as a software update I am sure they would of sorted this by now?

It is frustrating that VW offer a broader selection on the continent. If I could have ordered a Beach TSI (with DSG) I would have done.

The latest debacle might change this. Who knows.

I will be annoyed if it suddenly crops up on the UK configurator before ours arrives.

Having had a 150 Tsi Caravelle on loan for 8 weeks. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Poor fuel economy, poor performance and quite frustrating to live with day to day.
If it really is the end of the line for the 2.0 tdi 150bhp then it is a very dark day for the Volkswagen California...!!!

We also had a TSI Caravelle loaner whilst they were sorting out our jammed rear seat and I totally agree!
I would not buy a petrol either and if the California was only available as TSI, I would have to look at a different brand or a conversion. The loaner had 8,000 miles on the clock and I was lucky to get 23MPG, my Cali TDI gets around 42MPG average which is a major difference.

150 Tsi Caravelle on loan for 8 weeks. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Poor fuel economy, poor performance and quite frustrating to live with day to day.
Any thoughts of starting a new thread to feedback your TSI 8 weeks

VW have known about this for at least 2-3 weeks in Germany, if it was as simple as a software update I am sure they would of sorted this by now?
Don't they have to test and verify with German authorities before roll out? They cannot afford to get it wrong again.

We also had a TSI Caravelle loaner whilst they were sorting out our jammed rear seat and I totally agree!
I would not buy a petrol either and if the California was only available as TSI, I would have to look at a different brand or a conversion. The loaner had 8,000 miles on the clock and I was lucky to get 23MPG, my Cali TDI gets around 42MPG average which is a major difference.

Im glad im not the only one.
I did throw some feedback on the T6 forum, but i get the feeling they thought i was just hating on it.
Its honestly not true, i would have really considered one if it had been any good. Im not a fan of the emissions extras on the latest diesel engines. So petrol offered a glimmer of hope, unfortunately i wouldn't go down that route now.

One guy raves about his T6 petrol 204, however he sells and hires them for a living...?
hmmm:mute

Don't they have to test and verify with German authorities before roll out? They cannot afford to get it wrong again.

If it's not registered it doesn't have to be taxed (emissions based) & can't go on the road = no problem.

You can do what you like on private land - see also Colin Furze:

https://www.youtube.com/user/colinfurze

Yes, and once the German Type Approval Authority (KBA) have reached their verdict it will be passed onto the UK Vehicle Certification Agency

Well, we had another call by the dealer of our new (unregistered) van was with saying that VW are asking for lists of all those effected to "sort out something". No idea what that means and as usual they couldn't give us any further info. But after 2 false starts and 6 months trying to buy a new Cali, we spotted a 9 month old one for sale privately nearby so have asked for our deposit back from VW and now have a van :). Hope we don't end up regretting buying one, but for now we are very happy!

Today was collection D-Day for me but I didn’t make the journey south of the border. My day has been spent engaging with VW CS, trying to extract any information they were willing to offer. Unfortunately, that resulted in nothing!

However, after my constant moaning, they have arranged a Cali for me to borrow over the festive period. This definitely softens the blow and will allow the family to get back on track with our original camping trip :thumb

I really hope this issue will be rectified shortly and everyone affected can finally take ownership of our pride and joys ;)

@Grant5 and @Properjob Good luck with getting this sorted out. If it's any consolation, I took delivery of my van 2 weeks ago before any of this news broke, and whilst I'm really pleased with the van, I'm also wondering whether this could turn into a depreciation problem for my van and/or a load of hassle for me. If I were you, I think I'd rather it was sorted before I took delivery. Ultimately if it can't be quickly sorted, then you are probably best off keeping the money in your pocket and depending on what the outcome is you can either take the vehicle knowing all the information, or consider if you have the option to reject it if it is not what you were led to believe it was when you ordered it.

Anyway, good luck re-working your plans, and hope that this is sorted quickly for you. :thumb
Thanks @ChrisS, now that I have a set of wheels, I’m certainly more relaxed about the situation. Although, I do hope I receive some information shortly :headbang

Back