Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inspection regime

Ambler

Ambler

VIP Member
Ours will be 2 years old on 1st March. 12.5k on the clock.

I'm expecting a service to be due sometime in March but it's started flashing up "inspection now" when I turn on the ignition. Any reason why?

Ours did that after 10k and 1 year. You can get VW to turn it off but it means a trip to the dealer. Were going for the 2 year service intervals or whatever mileage. So it would have been uber annoying to have that flashing up for a year.

I'm expecting a service to be due sometime in March but it's started flashing up "inspection now" when I turn on the ignition. Any reason why?
If you look on the MFD under Service there are 2 timed points . One is for Oil Change and the other is for an Inspection, I think!

It is 2 years old.

The inspection regime is 20,000 miles or 2 years. Possibly it was collected in March 2014 for "plate" reasons but actually PDI'd a few weeks earlier and the 2 year clock set from then, not when collected.

You can have the Service Indicator set for either 12 months or 2 year/20k miles.
2years/20k miles is too long between oil changes imo, we have ours serviced every 12 months.

Isn't the time between services variable and based on driving style?

I always thought it was! 20k or 2 years is too long between oil changes even with modern synthetic oils and especially of the van is used for lots of short trips.

You can skimp on some aspects of servicing but its regular oil changes that will extend the life of the vehicle.

It really depends on driving style and type of milage.
I covered 20,000miles in 1 year, mostly motorway/A roads here and on the continent. Very few short trips, in fact the shortest is 12 miles. Very little stop start.
So oil and filter changed after 1 year, and it will be changed at 1 year or 20,000 whichever is first.
These are commercial vans, meant to be driven and there are many examples of high milage commercials around.
I would be more concerned with having an engine lying idle for weeks at a time. The oil absorbs moisture, the oil film gradually dissipates from the moving bits etc:
I believe in the age old saying " Use it or lose it. "

I covered 20,000miles in 1 year, mostly motorway/A roads here and on the continent. Very few short trips, in fact the shortest is 12 miles. Very little stop start.
So oil and filter changed after 1 year, and it will be changed at 1 year or 20,000 whichever is first.
These are commercial vans, meant to be driven and there are many examples of high milage commercials around.
I would be more concerned with having an engine lying idle for weeks at a time. The oil absorbs moisture, the oil film gradually dissipates from the moving bits etc:

Brake fluid absorbs water as well and ideally should be checked for fluid content every 12 months.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. 12.5k over nearly 2 years is not a lot. Very few short journeys but used infrequently. I will get it booked in.
As for date set, it was built 2nd week Jan14 so that may be relevant.

Thank you all for the replies.

We were assuming it's based on build week as ours is showing it'll be due 2 years from then rather than from when we finally got it after the delays in transit which were common at that time.

Back