Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing Info on MFD....can you explain it?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
I'm confused by the information on the dash MFD and here is why.
I appreciate this is similar to other threads but I really haven't got any conclusion from them so felt the need to post my stupidity.
When I bought the California new I understood it was set up for longlife oil servicing programme as opposed to 10,000mls/12 months which ever comes sooner.

Now that the vehicle is 1 year old I wanted to see how things were progressing regarding when I would need a service so went into the menu on the dash.

Here is what I saw.

Oil Service
6500mls/173 days
---------------------------------
Inspection
14,900mls / -5 days​

Having absorbed that information, I returned to the top of the menu and PING!!!!!!
Inspection Now popped up.

The vehicle has done 10,059 mls and hit 10,000 mls 5 days ago.

I really don't know what to make of the information.
Part of me thinks that the 10,000mls/12 month service is triggering the Inspection Now warning hence set up for time/milage based regime by mistake (Incidentally I never saw that warning 5 days ago but I guess I could have missed it).
Part of me thinks it's coincidence and my driving style has triggered the longlife programme at a similar time to the time/milage based regime.

Either way
1) 14.900 mls / -5 days makes no sense to me. Whats the 14,900 mls when I've done 10,059 mls?
2) What is the difference on this read out? Oil Service & Inspection? Do I need to obey the Oil service and ignore the inspection to stay in warranty then get them both done when the oil service is due or is inspection telling me I need an oil service now?

Anyone fathomed this out ?
@Vw guru your input would be very much appreciated.

Hi
I'm confused by the information on the dash MFD and here is why.
I appreciate this is similar to other threads but I really haven't got any conclusion from them so felt the need to post my stupidity.
When I bought the California new I understood it was set up for longlife oil servicing programme as opposed to 10,000mls/12 months which ever comes sooner.

Now that the vehicle is 1 year old I wanted to see how things were progressing regarding when I would need a service so went into the menu on the dash.

Here is what I saw.

Oil Service
6500mls/173 days
---------------------------------
Inspection
14,900mls / -5 days​

Having absorbed that information, I returned to the top of the menu and PING!!!!!!
Inspection Now popped up.

The vehicle has done 10,059 mls and hit 10,000 mls 5 days ago.

I really don't know what to make of the information.
Part of me thinks that the 10,000mls/12 month service is triggering the Inspection Now warning hence set up for time/milage based regime by mistake (Incidentally I never saw that warning 5 days ago but I guess I could have missed it).
Part of me thinks it's coincidence and my driving style has triggered the longlife programme at a similar time to the time/milage based regime.

Either way
1) 14.900 mls / -5 days makes no sense to me. Whats the 14,900 mls when I've done 10,059 mls?
2) What is the difference on this read out? Oil Service & Inspection? Do I need to obey the Oil service and ignore the inspection to stay in warranty then get them both done when the oil service is due or is inspection telling me I need an oil service now?

Anyone fathomed this out ?
@Vw guru your input would be very much appreciated.

Hi so your vehicle is set up for long life the reasons are as follows.

Since 2014 vw group vehicles changed to inspection service and oil change service lights on the mfd the inspection service light is set to ping up every 365 as according to the German service regime for our section of Europe. The inspection light is purely that an inspection service it takes 0.9 of an hour and is a inspection of the vehicle no oil change or filters unless they fall on that year I.e at 2 years your vehicle will be due an inspection service and a pollen filter as pollen filters are due every 2 years or 40k.

The oil change service is exactly that no inspection no check over just an oil change and check of the brakes. Unless a filter is due by mileage. Your oil change is flexible depending on how you drive the conditions you drive under I.e stop start in town will bring the oil change light on a lot faster than constant motorway driving. The oil change can be up to 2 years or 30k but will probably come on before that depending on the oil quality detected by the sensor in the sump .

Still with me ? Good

Vw uk run a much more simpler service regime where by we basically ignore the inspection light and run by the oil change light you then have a minor or major service.

A minor service would be when the first oil change is due this would be a check over of the vehicle and an oil change depending on your mileage the next service may also be this if you only do low Mileage.

A major service is the next service which would be the second or third time the service light comes on this is a full check over and all the filters +an oil change.

Low Mileage would look like this

Minor
Minor
Major
Minor
Minor
Major etc

High mileage would look like this

Minor
Major
Minor
Major etc

If you follow the German service regime then every year you need to have an inspection and your oil will be due depending on driving style and your filters depending on age/mileage

Uk way you follow the oil service light only and then have a minor or major service depending on driving style and age.

I hope that makes some sense the vw service regimes are a nightmare to understand and explain. It would probably take me at least a day to fully explain them all.

On our T6 we got an oil service light at about a year and 15k and I am booked in for our 2nd service on Monday which is around 30k and 2 years old again this was an oil service light but having a full service. For us, it works out well minor (1st year) / major (2nd year) /minor (3rd year).

That is a brilliant answer, thank you for taking the time its very appreciated!
Effectively then,
My oil service(change) is due in 6500 mls (or 173 days) as the read out stands today but this may move up or down depending on driving conditions between now and then.
At that point in time a minor service will be carried out which takes care of the inspection used in the German regime.
With each following oil service(change) requirement, the minor/major service patterns as you have listed in your post which is purely based on milage covered in that time. At least without considering the age of filters which I appreciate ups the service.

So all that leaves me with one more question.....
What milage intervals prompt the major services ? (i.e 20,000 miles at 2nd oil service I'd assume to be well in the 2nd minor service territory whilst perhaps 24,000 might start nudging into the 2nd oil service to be accompanied by 1st major).

Last edited:
That is a brilliant answer, thank you for taking the time its very appreciated!
Effectively then,
My oil service(change) is due in 6500 mls (or 173 days) as the read out stands today but this may move up or down depending on driving conditions between now and then.
At that point in time a minor service will be carried out which takes care of the inspection used in the German regime.
With each following oil service(change) requirement, the minor/major service patterns as you have listed in your post which is purely based on milage covered in that time. At least without considering the age of filters which I appreciate ups the service.

So all that leaves me with one more question.....
What milage intervals prompt the major services ? (i.e 20,000 miles at 2nd oil service I'd assume to be well in the 2nd minor service territory whilst perhaps 24,000 might start nudging into the 2nd oil service to be accompanied by 1st major).

What do you estimate your annual mileage is ?

What do you estimate your annual mileage is ?
12,000 but its been less this year by 2,000.

Incidentally I think you work from a dealer not too far from me. A little further than my most local one but i'm encouraged by your enthusiasm here and may have a day out when the service is due :thumb.

12,000 but its been less this year by 2,000.

Incidentally I think you work from a dealer not too far from me. A little further than my most local one but i'm encouraged by your enthusiasm here and may have a day out when the service is due :thumb.

If your local dealer is breeze totton then by all means please use them the master tech is a very good friend of mine they use the same service regime as we do. Not that we would not be glad to welcome you, just know a local dealer is just as helpful. If your averageing 12k a year then yes I recommend you have a full service next time.

Am I right in thinking there are extra items which need doing between minor and major services?

Amarillo is approaching 40,000 miles (21 months old), and I think the DSG oil change is at 40,000 miles. Or can this wait until the next (minor) service at 51,000 miles?

For reference:
Minor service at 17,000 miles; major service at 34,000 miles.

Last edited:
H
Am I right in thinking there are extra items which need doing between minor and major services?

Amarillo is approaching 40,000 miles (21 months old), and I think the DSG oil change is at 40,000 miles. Or can this wait until the next (minor) service at 51,000 miles?

For reference:
Minor service at 17,000 miles; major service at 34,000 miles.

Hi @Amarillo you are correct the dsg oil is due at 40k but no never leave that always get it changed by 40k. Vw are very strict on this change if it’s left to go over it’s due Mileage and your gearbox has any issues vw will not cover it under warranty.

H

Hi @Amarillo you are correct the dsg oil is due at 40k but no never leave that always get it changed by 40k. Vw are very strict on this change if it’s left to go over it’s due Mileage and your gearbox has any issues vw will not cover it under warranty.
Oooo... I'm glad I asked - we have 187 miles left before we hit 40,000 miles!

Thanks again.

Back