Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

International Travel 2021.

According to news reports there have been record number of caravans, motorhomes and campervans ordered over the past 10 month, this is going to have a knock on affect with campsites being rammed as soon as they open. I will be holding tight until autumn or possibly next year now.

As much as I like the UK , the problem we have here is the weather, for us it's all about being outside and not stuck in the van watching rain run down the windows

Good afternoon,

If we can't go abroad, my fear is that everything (campsites) in Ireland might be full. Everybody has the urge to get out and see something different. It is no secret that especially camping (in every shape or form) got more popular.

What I am trying to say is, in 2019 during our tour through Europe we just picked a camping site and stayed there. All were free (even only half full). This was the ultimate road trip (overland) freedom.

If we stay in Ireland (by the way, we just got the conformation of our ferry booking. Quite uplifting!) we might travel a bit along the Wild Atlantic Way. But will it be the same experience as in 2019? Who knows? Will the campsites be open and have available space when we drop in?
It is possible, but I am not keen to book a space for each night. Wild camping is something I am also not keen in Ireland.

Well, it is only January, let's see what the next weeks and month bring.

Maybe Irish California,
Eberhard

I’m hopefully doing a Lands End to John O’Groats Cycle in August so I guess staying in the UK and finding different places to do training rides will keep me occupied as I would have done that anyway had we gone to France and Spain and will save the travel time So one van less heading to the UK beaches :)

I reckon this year is too early for any major travel plans. Despite having booked 3 'staycations' for later on this year, I seriously cant see any of them happening.

It seemed pretty obvious since last summer that at least 2022 was gonna be when we might start to even think about living again. They way its going, it could be a tad later than that - says the optimist ;-D

I think the scenario you describe is pretty likely. A few island destinations may be able to make a case for allowing travel, but would you really want to go to any of them? They'll be rammed full.

By summer I'd expect (hope!) intra-UK travel to be fairly open, at least for camping etc. Anyone wanting to ensure a guaranteed spot somewhere would do well to book it now, demand is likely to be crazy once there's a hint of opening up.

We'll remain flexible as we did last year, the great beauty of a Cali is that it allows you to do that. We almost never stay more than one night anywhere when we're touring, and if it gets that hard to find camping spots we'll be looking up old friends with driveways up and down the country!

Personally, I think despite a lot of precautions having to stay in place, it will be a great summer here in Britain!
Just to stay away somewhere different in the UK would be a blessing.
And with Solar Panels, it’s more than do-able :cheers

I certainly won't be using toilet or shower blocks until next year, not after all the inconsiderate people last summer who are probably to blame for the mess we are in now.

Glad I now have a toilet and shower tent

A couple of years ago we seriously considered a six week five nations’ tour. London to Fishguard, Fishguard to Rosslare, the Wild Atlantic Way, Belfast to Cairnryan, then home via the hills and beaches of Galloway, and the Lake District.

I think that Galloway is one of the most underrated parts of the UK as a holiday destination.

You did well doing your Europe grand tour.....

You did well doing your Europe grand tour.....

Thank you. The timing was near perfect. Had the pandemic struck two years earlier we’d have been struggling to head home from Greece. Amarillo has visited most European countries: Ireland is the most notable exception.

I live for our two weeks en-France every year. We camp weekends in UK but the big summer trip is what our Cali is for. We had a brilliant 2 weeks in France in August 2020. Quarantined when we returned. Ironically it was one of our best ever. It did us a world of good. We went to 5 sites. 4 felt safe, one not so much.

We had a one way ferry to Spain booked and we’re going to drive back through France. Something we’ve never done before. I switched to usual tunnel trip at the last minute but the ferry is now rebooked for start of August 2021. That’s 6 months from now.
When you look back it was amazing/shocking they opened up Europe in 2020 but I think tourism is considered a vital business for EU. I’m hoping a lot can improve in 6 months and I think they’ll open up again. Whilst the Covid situation constantly evolves, I’m not sure the economics do much. I think yesterday they claimed the Moderna vaccine works with new Covid-19 variants. Fingers crossed.

Having said that we will be reserving a back up cottage somewhere in the UK.

Camped a lot in our own country in 2020, during the times it was allowed. With 2 young kids and no garden we were happy to be able to get outside. In the end we were lucky and could even go on a camping trip to Slovenia in the Cali during summer. I am staying optimistic and am planning trips abroad anyways. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and we'll deal with it. For now I enjoy the planning. It gives me something to do while spending so much time at home.

As far as vaccinations go, we havent gotten further then 1% of the approx 70% needed to reach herd immunity, if that even works. If we keep vaccinating at this rate, it'll take us 4 years to reach 70%. The idea is that we'll start vaccinating more in the coming weeks though, but with AstraZenica's magic tricks with the vaccines, we'll just have to see what happens.

On the bright side, we started 'winter camping' this year :). Stay positive guys! It'll get better.

Camped a lot in our own country in 2020, during the times it was allowed. With 2 young kids and no garden we were happy to be able to get outside. In the end we were lucky and could even go on a camping trip to Slovenia in the Cali during summer. I am staying optimistic and am planning trips abroad anyways. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and we'll deal with it. For now I enjoy the planning. It gives me something to do while spending so much time at home.

As far as vaccinations go, we havent gotten further then 1% of the approx 70% needed to reach herd immunity, if that even works. If we keep vaccinating at this rate, it'll take us 4 years to reach 70%. The idea is that we'll start vaccinating more in the coming weeks though, but with AstraZenica's magic tricks with the vaccines, we'll just have to see what happens.

On the bright side, we started 'winter camping' this year :). Stay positive guys! It'll get better.
You need worldwide numbers vaccinated and even then eradication may take decades if ever. Its about suppression as best we can. I am confident travel will open up this summer once vulnerable groups have protection against severe illness.

As long as travel is open to everyone and not just the ones that have had the vaccine or hold travel until everyone has had the vaccine, that is the only fair way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly won't be using toilet or shower blocks until next year, not after all the inconsiderate people last summer who are probably to blame for the mess we are in now.

Glad I now have a toilet and shower tent

Toilet and shower tent...???
So where does all the shower grey water go...???

As long as travel is open to everyone and not just the ones that have had the vaccine or hold travel until everyone has had the vaccine, that is the only fair way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's fair? There is nothing fair in this pandemic. The 4 groups being vaccinated at present are either the ones dying or the people looking after the ones dying. All the vaccine will be doing is putting those groups on a par with the rest. They can still catch Covid 19 but are unlikely to be hospitalised or dying, so similar to the younger generations.

Welshgas

Totally agree, whatever method of selection is used is unfair on someone.

The important thing is that we don't end up with a two tier population, with those that are vaccinated allowed to do what they want, & those not vaccinated being under some sort of lockdown.

If that happens there will be people using all sort of excuses to get jab, & people jumping the queue.

A couple of years ago we seriously considered a six week five nations’ tour. London to Fishguard, Fishguard to Rosslare, the Wild Atlantic Way, Belfast to Cairnryan, then home via the hills and beaches of Galloway, and the Lake District.

I think that Galloway is one of the most underrated parts of the UK as a holiday destination.
We did this exact route early in 2019 over 4 weeks. It was great. The only low points were the Ring of Kerry and the Giant's Causway ,(go and see the other end Fingle's Cave on Staffa - awesome!) Even in early spring Kerry was very busy, roads crowded and the scenery bettered by other parts of the Atlantic Way. High points, Ring of Beara, Burren, Galway, take the small roads, smaller the better.

With no International Travel for mere holiday reasons permitted currently both from the UK and into countries such as France it is hard to predict what restrictions and conditions of entry will roll out during the course of 2021.

With vaccinations most likely to be a requirement prior to any travel taking nearly 4 months from the first jab to be fully effective prospects of early Summer trips are sliding away day by day.

With no International Travel for mere holiday reasons permitted currently both from the UK and into countries such as France it is hard to predict what restrictions and conditions of entry will roll out during the course of 2021.

With vaccinations most likely to be a requirement prior to any travel taking nearly 4 months from the first jab to be fully effective prospects of early Summer trips are sliding away day by day.
We have given up on 2021. Maybe wrong but we can now make local easily rearranged plans with no worries about flights, ferries, sudden lockdowns. Will just chill out and look forward to UK trips (odd day out or a few days here and there) if and when allowed. Much less stressful, in fact no stress.

Vaccinations for US or the recipient country?
The vaccinated are still a danger to others as far as is known.

We have given up on 2021. Maybe wrong but we can now make local easily rearranged plans with no worries about flights, ferries, sudden lockdowns. Will just chill out and look forward to UK trips (odd day out or a few days here and there) if and when allowed. Much less stressful, in fact no stress.
Agree. We'll probably restrict ourselves to inland CL/CS sites and commune with nature. Keeping away from the big sites which will be very busy.

What's needed is the opening up of more places for overnight sleeping. Maybe even in the short term, because it looks like we're likely to be all looking to holiday in the UK. Campsites are clearly going to be overrun, or at least rammed to capacity.
Farmers could be given special short term permission to open up a field for camping, especially good if they have a farm shop.
National Trust/ councils allowing overnight sleeping in some of their carparks.
We need space to get out to holiday whilst staying as safe as possible.

That’s what we did 2020.
Nothing booked and shorter Brit trips.
Just gotta go with the flow at present...

Back