Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

International Travel 2021.

I’m just hoping that we will be able to safely travel within the UK during 2021. We had originally hoped to take our Cali to France this summer, but think that will be out of the question for 2021, so planning on UK trips over summer (and not getting our hopes up on those either).

We have young kids with expectations to manage, so setting low holiday expectations with them to avoid disappointment.

I was a remoaner but looking at the way the vaccines are being dealt with in the EU I am so glad we are out of the EU now and it goes to show the benefits we will start to see
Its a supply issue, worry more about why we have 100K deaths as opposed to 50K in Germany that has millions more in population. Vacccine production is tricky and those supply issues will affect us medium term. Conflating it with Brexit isn't relevant.

We did this exact route early in 2019 over 4 weeks. It was great. The only low points were the Ring of Kerry and the Giant's Causway ,(go and see the other end Fingle's Cave on Staffa - awesome!) Even in early spring Kerry was very busy, roads crowded and the scenery bettered by other parts of the Atlantic Way. High points, Ring of Beara, Burren, Galway, take the small roads, smaller the better.
I’m a little surprised about the Ring of Kerry. I’ve been to part of it over Macgillycuddy’s Reeks on a walking holiday and found it an equal to the Lake District passes.

Fingle’s Cave is brilliant. I visited Staffa during a week long trip off the west coast on a yacht. Loads of puffins living in their burrows on the cliffs.

Vaccinations for US or the recipient country?
The vaccinated are still a danger to others as far as is known.
I can see having had full vaccination protection being required for Insurance purposes and as a measure for any Country to discourage cross border travel. It will probably also still require Covid test being negative prior to travel both ways and possibly, as currently required by France another test 7 days after arrival before the current quarantine period.

The vaccination as I see it is merely to reduce the degree of Covid illness and resulting need for Hospitalisation.

Politics are more likely to be the decider on terms of travel which is why I mentioned the Vaccination process.

low points were the Ring of Kerry and the Giant's Causway

Pray tell us why where these the low points?

Ring of Kerry was a hoot on my motorcycle and a great campsite at Mannix point to enjoy the views and some rest. I am sure it will be fantastic in the van as well.

Giant's Causeway - another touristy site - true, but look beyond - if you park in the overflow car park and beyond that some great walks. on either side.

Planning to visit both these locations again as soon as allowed.

Pray tell us why where these the low points?

Ring of Kerry was a hoot on my motorcycle and a great campsite at Mannix point to enjoy the views and some rest. I am sure it will be fantastic in the van as well.

Giant's Causeway - another touristy site - true, but look beyond - if you park in the overflow car park and beyond that some great walks. on either side.

Planning to visit both these locations again as soon as allowed.
Ring of Kerry was ok, but Ring of Beara much better in my opinion. Better scenery, less crowded, less commercial. As for Giant's Causway, have you been to Fingle's Cave on Staffa? If not then put it on your list, after Staffa we thought the Giant's Causway very run of the mill. We would not go back to Kerry or Giant's but would return to Beara, the Burren, Galway and up beyond Galway and wish to explore more inland.

One advantage the ring of Beara has over Kerry is the smaller roads so there are no coaches so fewer people and less traffic.

We had an 'overseas' trip last summer - went to a wedding in Northern Ireland and stayed a week afterwards. It was great - everything had just opened up, not busy anywhere, fantastic to see the Giant's Causeway not smothered in people. Some wonderful beaches on the north Antrim coast, and the lovely Mourne Mountains to the south. There's a nice little campsite at Castle Ward (National Trust). And it felt exotic, because we had to take the ferry there.

We have written off Europe/Scandinavia for this year. We did the NC500 in October and still lots to see in Scotland, The Lakes, The Peak District, Wales. The only snag is most of the UK will be staycationing too. We might go for Autums trips to avoid the crowds.

Ssshh.
Don’t go Shropshire. Shropshire’s rubbish ...

View attachment 72476
Warwickshire is awful.

View attachment 72477
Where in Warwickshire is that? Looks like a great place to stopover, but probably not allowed.

Incidentall Sussex ran an ad campaign a bit like your - "don't come here, it is awful' then proceeded to show many beautiful places in Sussex. Like this.

Attachments

• 20201107_132713.jpg
    20201107_132713.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201119_154237.jpg
    20201119_154237.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DJI_0500.JPG
    DJI_0500.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Alfriston7.JPG
    Alfriston7.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 04072010573.JPG
    04072010573.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 30
@Anthony1 it’s countryside between Kenilworth & Stratford Upon Avon. Which stretches out onto the Cotswolds.

We stayed in Sweden last summer. This summer I am sure we can go to Italy as planned last year. It is going the right way indeed:

I very much agree with the broad outline of all the comments above. We had hoped to get to France for a holiday and to go to the Le Mans Classic but am already putting plans on hold.
UK destinations are most likely for us and so we are already seeking out some of the least likely/less busy places that would be off most folks radar. Some ideas so far - Suffolk/Constable Country, Dorset (Away from coast), Lincolnshire, Northumberland, Yorkshire, Pembroke?, Dumfries & Galloway. Anyone want to add others?
Of course we make the assumption that camping will be open.
We are retired and so School Holidays (if they are normal July/August times) can be avoided if needed and midweek breaks will be easy to organise.
We are coming to the conclusion and thinking that this year is the time when we will be going to places we would not have normally gone to will be our targets. Could be quite an adventure.
Just, please, can we have a summer like last year!
Still have tickets and camping for Le Mans Classic held over from last year. Guess I should be putting this in the maybe probably not pile? Only other thing is a trip to Fort William in June ...

With many countries closing Borders or limiting International travel due to the fear of Covid 19 mutations, How do you think 2021 is going to pan out?
Australia and New Zealand have recently mentioned 2022 as the earliest for International Tourism.
Personally, I think restrictions will be in place for most of 2021 especially land travel but fly in/out to certain holiday destinations might happen eg: Canaries or Mediterranean islands etc.
Yes, agree with most of the above answers - International travel in reality probably not on the cards in 2021. We've still got ferries booked for a planned Spain & France month-long trip in May, but are just about to postpone it (again) - I think until next year now - hubby is still keen to try for later this year - I'm ususally an optimistic person, but feel that we won't be able to go until next year now. However, the UK has such lovely places to visit, I'm more than happy to have stay vacations again this year and make the most of seeing much-missed family and friends. We really are the lucky ones that we can be more flexible in our fabulous Calis!

With many countries closing Borders or limiting International travel due to the fear of Covid 19 mutations, How do you think 2021 is going to pan out?
Australia and New Zealand have recently mentioned 2022 as the earliest for International Tourism.
Personally, I think restrictions will be in place for most of 2021 especially land travel but fly in/out to certain holiday destinations might happen eg: Canaries or Mediterranean islands etc.
We do not anticipate travelling until the August timeframe. A goodly portion of the people will be then inoculated with both series of injections. The Mediterranean countries will be gasping for €€££ and I think they will reopen the borders for that burst of €€££ desperately needed. The Valencian Community is in tight lock down, this I know and hopefully it will help the containment of the virus. But, if 2020 hasn't taught European Governments that when needed, due to people disrespecting the stay home advice, not to jail/fine them, then this merry go round will continue. I feel extremely sorry for the hospitality/retailers fraternity indeed.

My fingers are firmly crossed for a relaxation of the trans-channel rules by July. Hopefully France and Spain will be too anxious about their summer holiday income to keep their borders closed and the UK Government will be under a lot of pressure to let us out of jail by then. However I guess there may still be expensive Covid tests outwards and inwards and perhaps UK quarantine again too.

We took prompt advantage of the July 2020 window of opportunity to take our Cali to France last summer, before the Government changed its mind again. Being retired meant we were able to stay there until mid September, and the self-isolation back in the UK was not a problem. Living outdoors at a forest / beach-side site by the Atlantic felt much safer than our home town, although the French were bemused by our adherence to the UK 2m distancing norm. We paid extra for the uncrowded Club Lounge on the ferries and waited till most other passengers had returned to their vehicles before going down to ours. Mask use was universal throughout the journey. Being barely still in our 60's we are fairly risk averse, but we felt reasonably safe throughout our holiday. We will do the same again this year if at all possible.

We thought very carefully about flying too. We had only just made it back to the UK in time for the first lockdown, transiting alarmingly packed airports in Myanmar, Singapore and Dubai. However, having weighed up the evidence, we took the opportunity to spend all the November lockdown in Lanzarote (self-isolating again when we got back). It seems that there have been remarkably few cases of Covid transmission during air travel. It is not risk-free, but a combination of relatively short flights and compulsory mask-wearing reduces the risk significantly. Even more important is the air filtration system in planes, which reportedly ensures a complete air change every 2 -3 minutes, all of it passing through filters of a similar standard to the masks used in hospital PPE. Although airports inevitably mean indoor spaces, the halls are huge and the ventilation adequate. There were no closely packed queues except in our Easyjet return flight, where we stayed in our seats until the scrum for the exit doors had cleared. Jet2 managed the process better, with row-by-row embarkation and disembarkation.

Maybe we have just been lucky, and everyone has to make their own assessment, but journeys to reliably good weather may not be as risky as they seem and, once there and able to live almost entirely outdoors, the risks are probably lower than in the UK during a typical summer.

Longing to be vaccinated!

I want to go to Spain, if I'm allowed to drive there via the tunnel we will go. Any other form of transport that involves mixing with other people I will be avoiding as far as possible.

Not worth the worry in 2021. Best think of 2022!

If there are any moderators in the house it might be an idea to merge this thread with the one named Europe in 2021. Or vice versa.

This could be closer to the truth of what may be allowed.

55AA46C2-00E2-43F7-8482-B55D7E3318D4.jpeg

This could be closer to the truth of what may be allowed.

View attachment 73205

I agree but it shouldn’t be allowed, everyone has put up with the hardship and lockdowns and it’s the younger people who have struggled more in these times not the older generations who already have their house/pensions, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree but it shouldn’t be allowed, everyone has put up with the hardship and lockdowns and it’s the younger people who have struggled more in these times not the older generations who already have their house/pensions, in my opinion.

IMHO the only functions of lockdown is to protect the vulnerable from exposure to the virus and the NHS from overload. If the vulnerable become invulnerable after vaccination and hospitals are emptying what possible justification is there in prolonging the agony any longer than necessary.

Unfortunately it's not the UK that would impose such restrictions but foreign governments.

2021, It’ll be the UK for us and just hoping there isn’t as much ‘s..t’ left lying around like last years visitors !

Back