Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction ID Buzz by VW

Any future California would be based on the Cargo version that is slightly taller. Of course its Achilles heel may well be the range, although battery tech will probably advance by the time VW eventually launch it!
The Cargo version appears to be identical in height. Both are lower than a T6, according to VW. Perhaps a high roof version will be offered in the future, but that would cut down the range.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 12.21.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Look at how far back the front row is from the front bumper. That's because it's the same MEB platform as the other cars in the I.D. range, with a false double A pillar nose stuck on over the front wheels to make it look like a van (just imagine the windshield were where the front door frame meets the body, and the long hood that would result). It may have almost as much total interior space as a T6, but a lot of that is useless space over the deep instrument panel and ahead of the front seats. Usable space behind the first row is lacking, which would make a California cramped. A long wheel base version would get you the same camper space as today's short wheelbase T6, but with a length penalty for parking. We've see this design sleight of hand before on the new Multivan.

To top it off, it's wider than a T6, but with less usable room. Not the revived "icon" that VW is claiming, but its electric car platform disguised as a van, without a van's efficient use of space. Truly disappointing.

View attachment 90177
Omg. Just wait for it to arrive, the camper version. Or maybe… are you one of the designers? Don't be so negative, everything will be fine. I think it's nicely done.

Last edited:
When driving whole day, stopping many too many times for recharging, you arrive at the campsite in the evening. What will you be doing first, cooking your meal, installing everything, and then uninstalling everything again for at least 1 hour of fast charging before going to bed?
Or will you first get to a fast charging point for at least 1 hour, then drive to the campsite?

That is not yet the way I want to go on holidays.
Don’t worry, it’s not built yet. Things will be fine. Keep positive.

I think the ID Buzz lwb and swb vans actually have the same wheel base length. Only the body is longer behind the rear axle by 20cm or so...?? So what do we call them now?
Do they? I thought the front and rear overhangs will remain the same so it will be a longer wheel base length.

The Cargo version appears to be identical in height. Both are lower than a T6, according to VW. Perhaps a high roof version will be offered in the future, but that would cut down the range.

View attachment 90182
Hmm, I don't understand this comment: can you now stand in the california? No, there is a folding roof and the new one will have that too. problem solved.

Hmm, I don't understand this comment: can you now stand in the california? No, there is a folding roof and the new one will have that too. problem solved.
It’s a factor if you’re tall and you consider the awning height.

It’s a factor if you’re tall and you consider the awning height.
:D Oh, you mean the awning. Well, I’m 1m92 and can’t stand straight under the awning of the T6.1.
But: clarinet mentioned a high roof so for me it’s about inner heights.

Last edited:
Do they? I thought the front and rear overhangs will remain the same so it will be a longer wheel base length.
Not true. As stated in one of the company pre-release promo vids, the wheel base will be the same as its based on the identical chassis MEB platform. This reduces VW's cost for development and homologation. Only the bed will be extended past the rear axle for the 'LWB' version.

Not true. As stated in one of the company pre-release promo vids, the wheel base will be the same as its based on the identical chassis MEB platform. This reduces VW's cost for development and homologation. Only the bed will be extended past the rear axle for the 'LWB' version.
Well, I did write 'I thought' but: I do think so. Let me explain why: I know what the MEB stands for... and it's modular. The short overhangs are typical for the ID Buzz (& Cargo) and will be preserved + the platform is... well: modular. They can add battery packs and extend the wheelbase. MEB = Modularer E-Antriebs-Baukasten and it is precisely the intention of this platform to be modular... (So not the electric car platform 'disguised' as a van as someone states but intended to be what it is).
I really suspect that it will be the wheelbase that they will lengthen and not an ugly longer overhang in the rear (like you state: "only the bed will be extended past the rear axle for the LWB version"). We'll see, I'm curious.
Of course I could be wrong (I read so many "facts" and assumptions about the ID Buzz that I may counteract or have my own, I guess) so, this is mine about the wheel base. Got two more: it's a people carrier, 5 person 'car' (there will also be a7-seater version later on, here you go, large families) more intended as a practical vehicle and a valid alternative to the suv. I guess it also aims to get people out of regular cars, minivans, offering something different as it were. It doesn't have to as big as the transporter now (there will be a new transporter later on). I have a suv now and would exchange it for an ID Buzz should I be able.
Also: the LWB cargo will be the base for the next california (second half of this decade so I will not wait for that one now and keep waiting for our ordered coast). Keep in mind that the ID Buzz (and swb cargo) is 20 cm shorter than the current swb transporter and -I think- you can allready place two euro pallets one after the other. The lwb ID Buzz cargo (& 7-seater) would have a 30 cm longer 'radstand' so wheelbase than the swb and will therefore not be much longer than the current swb t6.1 transporter.
And now do not think that I can not be critical: the price will be high, too high probably. I am not impressed with the charging time and for the width inside: I hope it is ok for the California (3 child seats can't be placed next to each other in the 5-seater they bring out now so that doesn't bode well). Also: after flattening the rear seats, you do not have a flat floor, so as a replacement for many station wagons where this prevails, it does not score. But for me it's a new interpretation of the old and forgotten large monovolumer and I'm a fan.
So, let's be happy the ID 'bulli' is here, I am.
Greetings

Last edited:
Have VW lost the plot with the Buzz? Compared to the T7 Multivan there is a distinct lack of flexibility in the seating, tables etc. Makes you wonder whether they really want to sell them. Hardly an adventure vehicle.

Have VW lost the plot with the Buzz? Compared to the T7 Multivan there is a distinct lack of flexibility in the seating, tables etc. Makes you wonder whether they really want to sell them. Hardly an adventure vehicle.
Do not think so; it's a completely different vehicle than that t7 multivan, you want flexibility: t7 (the real successor to the transporter multivan with the well-known table module at the back). Want a carlike monovolumer? the ID Buzz (but only with electric engine). If you question its existence, I don't think it's a car for you. An adverture vehicle? Did they say that in the 'world premiere'? Didn't see it yet but saw several other interesting videos on youtube few weeks ago when it was presented in some cities (London was one of them).
It should all be clearer now; Look at both and judge for yourself: one wants the friendly, quirky face, the other the conservative face of the t7. Each with their properties (only electric or other, flexibility or carlike/suv arrangement inside,...). Do you still want to be closer to the transporter? You can then wait for the new transporter in collaboration with Ford, but not everyone will be happy with that either. By then there will be plenty of options: t7, ID Buzz and the new transporter. For me that ID Buzz can come and I would buy one if possible.
I am also very curious about the california based on ID Buzz lwb.

Having 3 kids myself, I’m surprised that manufacturers of larger cars don’t offer the option to specify a rear seat that is more suitable for 3 people. We had an old Touran and although the rear seats were quite tight, they were a lot better than most cars available today. The seats in the new Multvan don’t look any wider.
I think there are quite a few misconceptions though: the proposed ID Buzz is a 5-seater vehicle offered as an alternative to a minivan/MPV or SUV or whatever (I wouldn't call the ID Buzz a larger car, I saw a youtube video where they parked it next ot a transporer and a ID 3 I guess and it isn't very long, more carlike, the 5-seater that is). Is it mentioned that it is the replacement for the transporter or should be like the T7 multivan? There will also be an LWB as a 7-seater for the large families and a cargo version of that LWB and now it gets interesting: the next California will be based on that. Just wait (lot's of us are used to waiting). I'm curious. For me it doesn't look disappointing, on the contrary: promising for what is yet to come (7-seater, lwb, california)!

Well, I did write 'I thought' but: I do think so. Let me explain why: I know what the MEB stands for... and it's modular. The short overhangs are typical for the ID Buzz (& Cargo) and will be preserved + the platform is... well: modular. They can add battery packs and extend the wheelbase. MEB = Modularer E-Antriebs-Baukasten and it is precisely the intention of this platform to be modular... (So not the electric car platform 'disguised' as a van as someone states but intended to be what it is).
I really suspect that it will be the wheelbase that they will lengthen and not an ugly longer overhang in the rear (like you state: "only the bed will be extended past the rear axle for the LWB version"). We'll see, I'm curious.
Of course I could be wrong (I read so many "facts" and assumptions about the ID Buzz that I may counteract or have my own, I guess) so, this is mine about the wheel base. Got two more: it's a people carrier, 5 person 'car' (there will also be a7-seater version later on, here you go, large families) more intended as a practical vehicle and a valid alternative to the suv. I guess it also aims to get people out of regular cars, minivans, offering something different as it were. It doesn't have to as big as the transporter now (there will be a new transporter later on). I have a suv now and would exchange it for an ID Buzz should I be able.
Also: the LWB cargo will be the base for the next california (second half of this decade so I will not wait for that one now and keep waiting for our ordered coast). Keep in mind that the ID Buzz (and swb cargo) is 20 cm shorter than the current swb transporter and -I think- you can allready place two euro pallets one after the other. The lwb ID Buzz cargo (& 7-seater) would have a 30 cm longer 'radstand' so wheelbase than the swb and will therefore not be much longer than the current swb t6.1 transporter.
And now do not think that I can not be critical: the price will be high, too high probably. I am not impressed with the charging time and for the width inside: I hope it is ok for the California (3 child seats can't be placed next to each other in the 5-seater they bring out now so that doesn't bode well). Also: after flattening the rear seats, you do not have a flat floor, so as a replacement for many station wagons where this prevails, it does not score. But for me it's a new interpretation of the old and forgotten large monovolumer and I'm a fan.
So, let's be happy the ID 'bulli' is here, I am.
Greetings
I recall seeing a video of a development vehicle where it showed that the LWB version was all in the overhang / rear bumper.

Wheelbase was the same for both models

I recall seeing a video of a development vehicle where it showed that the LWB version was all in the overhang / rear bumper.

Wheelbase was the same for both models
Doug DeMuro states that the overhangs will be unchanged, and the additional length will be between the wheels.
See from 9mins.

Last edited:
I think there are quite a few misconceptions though: the proposed ID Buzz is a 5-seater vehicle offered as an alternative to a minivan/MPV or SUV or whatever (I wouldn't call the ID Buzz a larger car, I saw a youtube video where they parked it next ot a transporer and a ID 3 I guess and it isn't very long, more carlike, the 5-seater that is). Is it mentioned that it is the replacement for the transporter or should be like the T7 multivan? There will also be an LWB as a 7-seater for the large families and a cargo version of that LWB and now it gets interesting: the next California will be based on that. Just wait (lot's of us are used to waiting). I'm curious. For me it doesn't look disappointing, on the contrary: promising for what is yet to come (7-seater, lwb, california)!
Yes I understand all that but the concept had the seat right near the back, probably on rails. Shame that the release model has a normal fixed 2+1 rear bench. Future models probably / will have to have a sliding rear bench for the California model.

I thought the idea of a ID buzz was to evoke the versatile spirit of the original Bus. So based on the release so far, it’s Disappointing. Just like the T7 Multivan was.

I just hope the next VW developed Transporter won't be such a let down!

Doug DeMuro states that the overhands will be unchanged, and the additional length will be between the wheels.
See from 9mins.
That’s also what I saw; and not only he states this.

Doug DeMuro states that the overhands will be unchanged, and the additional length will be between the wheels.
See from 9mins.
Ok, I’ll take your word for it, I really can’t be bothered to look through old Buzz videos on YouTube!

Yes I understand all that but the concept had the seat right near the back, probably on rails. Shame that the release model has a normal fixed 2+1 rear bench. Future models probably / will have to have a sliding rear bench for the California model.

I thought the idea of a ID buzz was to evoke the versatile spirit of the original Bus. So based on the release so far, it’s Disappointing. Just like the T7 Multivan was.

Auch, Volkswagen let you down double already. Well, they had to bring one of the versions out as the first and they aim at people who want the look of the ID Buzz and no longer want to drive around in an suv or mini van or something. Guess if they would have started with the california or the 7-seater more people would be be surprised and wonder why not a regular version.
Each his idea about it. I like it. Tastes like more.

Last edited:

I did an online Spec of a T7 multivan as I was curious to see how it compared. The vision was shattered when I got to the end and it showed me the pic though, the looks of the T4/T5/T6 have been such a big part of the identity and the T7 just looks all kinds of wrong.

Ok, I’ll take your word for it, I really can’t be bothered to look through old Buzz videos on YouTube!
Several videos less than a month old on YouTube ;) (Doug DeMuro: one day old video) which apparently give much more info than what many here saw in ‘the world premiere’.
67FAA6A0-BBB7-4326-B59B-5972FF3F8558.jpeg

Last edited:
Several videos less than a month old on YouTube ;) (Doug DeMuro: one day old video) which apparently give much more info than what many here saw in ‘the world premiere’.
View attachment 90242
The video i I saw that said the rear overhang was longer was a few months back..

To be clear, I do like it, it looks good but the release interior is disappointing and its about as versatile as a standard Kombi.

As the T6 shuttle, which also has fixed rear seat belt points, once a sliding bench is installed and released and its more like a Beach, I’ll be disappointed.

Hopefully this will come soon…

6E7F5357-24F6-42D4-8F54-78F53AC22FFA.png

I did an online Spec of a T7 multivan as I was curious to see how it compared. The vision was shattered when I got to the end and it showed me the pic though, the looks of the T4/T5/T6 have been such a big part of the identity and the T7 just looks all kinds of wrong.
It’ll be interesting how well the Multivan sells, I suspect it’ll be similar to the Sharan.

Back