Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction ID Buzz by VW

Auch, Volkswagen let you down double already. Well, they had to bring one of the versions out as the first and they aim at people who want the look of the ID Buzz and no longer want to drive around in an suv or mini van or something. Guess if they would have started with the california or the 7-seater more people would be be surprised and wonder why not a regular version.
Each his idea about it. I like it. Tastes like more.
As I mentioned in a previous post, unfortunately the Buzz does have the structure and space distribution of a car/SUV, but with a secondary A pillar to move the windshield out over the hood to make it look like a van but without a van’s efficient use of space, all to economize by sharing the car platform. That’s the disappointing part. As one of the advantages of going electric is there’s much less space needed for the motor, I’m sure another manufacturer will see the opportunity and design a space efficient electric van without the long car nose.

As I mentioned in a previous post, unfortunately the Buzz does have the structure and space distribution of a car/SUV, but with a secondary A pillar to move the windshield out over the hood to make it look like a van but without a van’s efficient use of space, all to economize by sharing the car platform. That’s the disappointing part. As one of the advantages of going electric is there’s much less space needed for the motor, I’m sure another manufacturer will see the opportunity and design a space efficient electric van without the long car nose.
Sorry, still don’t understand your point about the nose: it is minuscule. It is design: that how they wanted it to look like. It’s a homage -or whatever they call it- to the T1: short nose, van. Nowadays based on the meb platform. I think it’s clever, that platform and more will come based on it. Btw: a lot of modern (and even not so modern anymore) cars have that cab forward design.
For the space efficiency: the ID buzz cargo swb can have two euro pallets one after another in the cargo space and has a total lenght of 4m71 if I remember correctly.
I just don’t get what you expected from the ID Buzz but that will be me. Everybody has his own expectations. There are plenty of other cars for you.

Sorry, still don’t understand your point about the nose: it is minuscule. It is design: that how they wanted it to look like. It’s a homage -or whatever they call it- to the T1: short nose, van. Nowadays based on the meb platform. I think it’s clever, that platform and more will come based on it. Btw: a lot of modern (and even not so modern anymore) cars have that cab forward design.
For the space efficiency: the ID buzz cargo swb can have two euro pallets one after another in the cargo space and has a total lenght of 4m71 if I remember correctly.
I just don’t get what you expected from the ID Buzz but that will be me. Everybody has his own expectations. There are plenty of other cars for you.

One more try, I am talking about the distance from the driver’s seat to the front bumper, which is much longer that a van, and results in a deep, useless space above the instument panel between the driver and the secondary A pillar/windshield.

One more try, I am talking about the distance from the driver’s seat to the front bumper, which is much longer that a van, and results in a deep, useless space above the instument panel between the driver and the secondary A pillar/windshield.
Thanks for your attempt and I do respect your idea but.. sitting with your nose to the window like in a T1, they probably just couldn't do that, taking into account crumple zones and many safety requirements that now count. This will ensure that the nose could not be as flat as you want but the nose is minuscule and they must meet all security requirements -the ID Buzz will also be sold in the US- and I think they have created a nice result.
So, let's agree we disagree.
Greetings

Ok, I’ll take your word for it, I really can’t be bothered to look through old Buzz videos on YouTube!
It’s not old, it’s brand new. And if you can’t be bothered to research it, might be an idea not to post old news

Thanks for your attempt and I do respect your idea but.. sitting with your nose to the window like in a T1, they probably just couldn't do that, taking into account crumple zones and many safety requirements that now count. This will ensure that the nose could not be as flat as you want but the nose is minuscule and they must meet all security requirements -the ID Buzz will also be sold in the US- and I think they have created a nice result.
So, let's agree we disagree.
Greetings

I guess you didn’t realize that modern vans like the T5/6 have the driver’s legs behind the front axle, (but not nearly a row further back like the Buzz and other car/SUV based chassis), while the T1 has the driver’s legs ahead of the front axle. I don’t know of any serious designer who would suggest that these days, so I don’t know why you brought it up. I would be happy with an electric van with design proportions similar to the current T5/6, even if it were smaller over all. The point is to transfer useless space in front of the driver into usable space behind the driver, while maintaining crush zones. The proportions of SUVs, which the Buzz actually follows by placing the first row so far back, do not achieve this.

I guess you didn’t realize that modern vans like the T5/6 have the driver’s legs behind the front axle, (but not nearly a row further back like the Buzz and other car/SUV based chassis), while the T1 has the driver’s legs ahead of the front axle. I don’t know of any serious designer who would suggest that these days, so I don’t know why you brought it up. I would be happy with an electric van with design proportions similar to the current T5/6, even if it were smaller over all. The point is to transfer useless space in front of the driver into usable space behind the driver, while maintaining crush zones. The proportions of SUVs, which the Buzz actually follows by placing the first row so far back, do not achieve this.
I realise something else: Camperfamily always agrees with you; of course I don't have a problem with it because then you are not alone in the idea that the first seatrow is apparently a little too far back for you and there is not enough space. Again: 4m71 total length, cargo space can have two europllets in a row and enough space everywhere to sit. The only thing I have my questions about is the width because on the second row of seats can not even click 3 child seats next to each other (apparently) and the vehicle on which the new california will be based will be longer (according to some because of an ugly overhang in the back - imagine: at the front! :D) but not wider. Well, they will make something nice and good out of it. For me, in the front there is nothing wrong. Oh, maybe they left just some space at the front for further developments like the 4wheel drive (two engine) version that will come? Just thinking. Another thing a saw once about the meb platform: this is a front axle section, rear axle section and center piece (variable according to the number of battery packs) but the rows of seats can be placed how they want.
Greetings! To you too, Camperfamily :happy

As far as I recall I have clicked ‘Agree’ on one post with @clarinetbcn as I do agree with that post. I’m not sure I agree with everything said; I’ve certainly not read everything said. Anyway, I’m not here to take sides; sorry if that’s how it felt.

I actually like the concept of the Buzz. @calibusje, you give me hope about the 7 seat version, as I’m genuinely interested in replacing our Touran with it. We need the ability the put 3 child seats side by side, hopefully the 7 seat version will address this.

As far as I recall I have clicked ‘Agree’ on one post with @clarinetbcn as I do agree with that post. I’m not sure I agree with everything said; I’ve certainly not read everything said. Anyway, I’m not here to take sides; sorry if that’s how it felt.

I actually like the concept of the Buzz. @calibusje, you give me hope about the 7 seat version, as I’m genuinely interested in replacing our Touran with it. We need the ability the put 3 child seats side by side, hopefully the 7 seat version will address this.
No no, definitely not, you don't have to say sorry. It was merely a joke. Everyone has their own idea of course. Only, I don't see what Clarinetbcn sees.
Well, I also see the ID Buzz replacing my wife's car (small SUV). I myself will replace my bigger suv with the yet to be delivered california coast… someday. And maybe that one will be replaced by the new California, but we're not there yet.
Greetings

I've just read that load space in the Cargo one is 3.9m3. So even less space than I thought.
I’ve heard that the California Buzz will be based on the Cargo which makes sense.

I like it - though for now it’s a reskinned ID4 with more fun retro packaging that will appeal to many people. Would’ve been nice if the seats could’ve been a little more innovative & flexible.

I don’t much about commercial vans, but it also seems an easy & cheap play for them to offer a seatless version, even if it’s not a ‘serious’ workhorse - again there are many many different Use Cases out there.

Feels like an encouraging v1 start, and bodes well that a LWB Buzz California (with the bigger battery) could work well for us in 2025 / 26 ish.

I’ve heard that the California Buzz will be based on the Cargo which makes sense.
Indeed, the cargo lwb; the swb cargo and 5-seater are the ones they previewed now.

I like it - though for now it’s a reskinned ID4 with more fun retro packaging that will appeal to many people. Would’ve been nice if the seats could’ve been a little more innovative & flexible.

I don’t much about commercial vans, but it also seems an easy & cheap play for them to offer a seatless version, even if it’s not a ‘serious’ workhorse - again there are many many different Use Cases out there.

Feels like an encouraging v1 start, and bodes well that a LWB Buzz California (with the bigger battery) could work well for us in 2025 / 26 ish.
I agree: a good start for a bigger range to come. Too many saw the presentation of the 5-seater (swb) and swb cargo version as something else and want them to be the next miracle and the equivalent of the multivan. It’s not. It’s just a good v1 start like you state it.

Oh, but it’s not me that ‘brings it up’, it’s you who directs it: you are clearly talking about the nose that is too long and the first seat row that is too far back. So: I'm just showing that it can't get as close as it was then and what they've created now is probably the closest they can get (just think of safety measures that are getting stricter and also of the second engine to come... in front.
This post just because you would know why the T1 was mentioned.
Greetings and I will never be able to show you how it is and you cannot convince me that the front is wrong. So be it.

I find it laughable some of the comments regarding the suitability of the iD Buzz as a base vehicle for a EV California, whether Beach or Ocean version.
The Buzz has a dual level floor pan to accommodate the rear electric motor. So in order to have a sliding seat/bed there will have to be some design changes there. In order to fit a Parking Heater which is non IC, there will be increased power requirements likewise with cooking facilities, no gas cooker, I presume.

Maybe there will be a FWD version for the California with larger battery pack to run the electrical camping requirements and hence a level floor pan with batteries as far as rear axle as no need to raise rear floor to accommodate rear electric drive train. In this case the longer dash to nose distance accomodates the electric drive train.

The iD Buzz SWB MPV is just that. Vehicles that follow will share some characteristics but there will be significant differences.

What will be difficult is the present 3rd party conversion industry continuing unless they have access to an "empty EV California base vehicle " to convert.

I am adding to those who do like what they see (not many on here). To me its a stylish small MPV with a load of green credentials - for me any changes like that have to be moves in right direction. Disappointed the cab seats are fixed and rear seat only slides 15cm but its not aimed at people who want a camper or day van (that will come) and by time it hits streets in Autumn there may well be tweaks and more options...
If I had the money I'd buy one to use as daily family car alongside the Cali! I think it looks good and would happily drive round in one! But that's what VW are counting on - the emotional response!
I will be in the queue to test drive one!

I am adding to those who do like what they see (not many on here). To me its a stylish small MPV with a load of green credentials - for me any changes like that have to be moves in right direction. Disappointed the cab seats are fixed and rear seat only slides 15cm but its not aimed at people who want a camper or day van (that will come) and by time it hits streets in Autumn there may well be tweaks and more options...
If I had the money I'd buy one to use as daily family car alongside the Cali! I think it looks good and would happily drive round in one! But that's what VW are counting on - the emotional response!
finally, someone who also understands what that premiere was about.

Re size; Have a look at the Mercedes e-Vito Tourer. That seems to be the same size as the ICE Vito, but an EV with claimed 356km WLTP mileage.

I am adding to those who do like what they see (not many on here). To me it's a stylish small MPV with a load of green credentials - for me any changes like that have to be moves in right direction. Disappointed the cab seats are fixed and rear seat only slides 15cm but its not aimed at people who want a camper or day van (that will come) and by time it hits streets in Autumn there may well be tweaks and more options...
Well I like what I've seen, be it only on YouTube. So decided to be a bit reckless in my old age. Placed an order for one, and bought a personalised number for it.Screenshot_20220312-090442_Chrome.jpg
I've always been interested in cars, and would have liked to be the type of person that chops and changes their cars for the hell of it, but I'm not. I had an Austin 7 for 25 years. Had an MGB for more years than I'd like to count. Our daily drive is a VW Golf Anniversary that we've had for 19 years. The exception are our Californias, having had a T5.1, T6 and a T6.1. Being 77 at my next birthday I hope that considering the current world situation,that I take delivery before I pop my clogs. If not, I'm sure my kids will appreciate inheriting the build slot, probably will still be OO.
The times they are a changing, at last!!!

Well I like what I've seen, be it only on YouTube. So decided to be a bit reckless in my old age. Placed an order for one, and bought a personalised number for it.View attachment 90365
I've always been interested in cars, and would have liked to be the type of person that chops and changes their cars for the hell of it, but I'm not. I had an Austin 7 for 25 years. Had an MGB for more years than I'd like to count. Our daily drive is a VW Golf Anniversary that we've had for 19 years. The exception are our Californias, having had a T5.1, T6 and a T6.1. Being 77 at my next birthday I hope that considering the current world situation,that I take delivery before I pop my clogs. If not, I'm sure my kids will appreciate inheriting the build slot, probably will still be OO.
Excellent. Love it.

I find it laughable some of the comments regarding the suitability of the iD Buzz as a base vehicle for a EV California, whether Beach or Ocean version.
The Buzz has a dual level floor pan to accommodate the rear electric motor. So in order to have a sliding seat/bed there will have to be some design changes there. In order to fit a Parking Heater which is non IC, there will be increased power requirements likewise with cooking facilities, no gas cooker, I presume.

Maybe there will be a FWD version for the California with larger battery pack to run the electrical camping requirements and hence a level floor pan with batteries as far as rear axle as no need to raise rear floor to accommodate rear electric drive train. In this case the longer dash to nose distance accomodates the electric drive train.

The iD Buzz SWB MPV is just that. Vehicles that follow will share some characteristics but there will be significant differences.

What will be difficult is the present 3rd party conversion industry continuing unless they have access to an "empty EV California base vehicle " to convert.

One way to make the floor level. 4 motion…

Well I like what I've seen, be it only on YouTube. So decided to be a bit reckless in my old age. Placed an order for one, and bought a personalised number for it.View attachment 90365

I didn’t think you could order one until June/July…?

Johnny is always worth a watch

Possible Cali E sketch…?
F44B0BD8-6476-4B93-8E98-A8937A8B4738.jpeg

Back