Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the storage net option worth having?

Here's my storage solution for over the cab. Sorry for the delay in posting.

I used two Ikea expanding curtain rods (£1 each)
2 Wilkinsons small square washing up bowls (£1 each)
A pack of clamps from, you guessed it, the pound shop!
And a tray, about £3 from Aldi (other similar ones are available)

Extend the rods, and place across the void.
Put a bowl at each end and secure with the clamps. This produces a very firm shelf that takes less than 30 seconds to assemble.
The tray fits or rests in the middle space and can be clamped too.

Don't use it for anything that might be dangerous if it fell on you or your seats.

Packed up, I store the rods on the floor behind the passenger seat, the bowls stack and can be used in the cupboard under the cutlery drawer to store other things inside so no space is lost.
The tray goes in the passenger seat back when not in use.

I also use a bowl as a draining board when doing serious washing up! - keeps all drips at bay.

The whole lot is very versatile, which is a bonus.

The shelf holds a massive weight and is really strong when clamped.
I use the bowls to store fruit, shopping, spare clothes, loose things, etc
The tray can store items which can be moved between the work surface or put up top when using the fridge or cooker. We found that a tray is a good way to de-clutter the worktop.
You could even place a TV on the tray up top if you want to.

I have also threaded a string between the two little loops in the ceiling to make a washing line for your smalls or a red tea towel in my case.. Tied at one end, and the other end long so you can pull it up and lower it. Tie the loose end to the bed stay to secure it.

Hope this helps, here's a picture or two;
DSCI3190.JPG DSCI3191.JPG

DSCI3192.JPG

What a great idea. We use a 'bed board' at night to exactly fill half of the space above the cab and Jon sleeps with his pillow on it to give him the length he needs in the top bed. Having seen rv's neat idea l think we could modify our board for storage in the day.

Well, now that everyone's showing off their inventions, here's ours:
collage4vw-jpg.7686

This board (10mm ply) fits exactly in the space above the cabin when the roof is up. While we travel it sits on the shelf in the back of our Beach, at night it's a wonderful space for our clothes, bags and everything else that needs a home when we go to bed (we always sleep downstairs). In an SE/Ocean it may not fit on the shelf in the back but I can imagine a way to hinge the board. We couldn't live without it anymore!

Any ideas what this is folks,
I just got a new t5, and it came with all sorts of extras I didn't know about , this was one. It isn't like the one in your pic, it has a well machined hole in the middle,?...what is it, where do I stick it?

image.jpeg

It's to stop you falling out of the top bunk!

Holds your pillows in place, so they don't fall downstairs.
The hole goes under the mattress, where a spot of velcro fixes it firm. The straps attach to the loops on the ceiling.

No more clues - see if you can fix it! I took a week!

@CYCLOPATH
Thats exactly a good prupose to use it ...!
Keeping the kids away from the stove , they could burn themself...:D

We don't use it , it sits on the attic in the garage.
When you got small kids in the pop top it could be good but i got my doubts , one of the most useless things on a Cali.
Althoug i could come up with a few other useless things on a Cali!

Thanks, I get the idea. I thaught the hole went over the rear view mirror ....good job I didn't try that
I have just driven 500 miles back with the van , I stopped every 2 hrs to look at the manual , to work stuff out
I worked out what the strap in the cutlery draw was for...the table, ....and the Velcro...if the roof motor breaks, and the tent pegs and euro hook up cable
But
What are the plastic rod things for?

Thanks, I get the idea. I thaught the hole went over the rear view mirror ....good job I didn't try that
I have just driven 500 miles back with the van , I stopped every 2 hrs to look at the manual , to work stuff out
I worked out what the strap in the cutlery draw was for...the table, ....and the Velcro...if the roof motor breaks, and the tent pegs and euro hook up cable
But
What are the plastic rod things for?

Plastic rod things?
Can you explane more or a pic.?

All for securing the roof if lowerd manually in case of failure of the hydrolic system .
You need to reed the manual fully ....:D;)

Thanks hotel , will do
Only just back, over excited and over tired.
I will dig through it more tommorrow
By the way, I think we went to the same place as your pic this year
Col du Iseran
Now the hardest question
The bi xenon lights were amazing racing along empty Scottish roads this morning,
But they really upset people on busy roads this evening
It is when we go up a slight incline, and they raise into oncoming drive faces as they come up the other side.
I have googled it,,,,,it seems there are campaigns against them.

I was wondering about putting a bit of opaque tape along the bit of the lens that coincides with the top of the low beam

image.jpeg

My current avatar pic was taken in Norway last june....
Check out this tread
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/three-weeks-south-and-mid-norway.10354/

But as you say could be anywhere taken afther wintertime in the mountains

As on lights blinding , if turn my lights (not xenon) in the lower position becouse the Cali is usually heavy loaded and lower in the back lights shining up a bit , can be irrtated for upcoming verhicles.

Thanks Hotel,
, I must add it to the list to explore in my van,
It looks amazing
When camping it seemed to cold, but with the van, the world has opened up.

Regarding the lights,
My van has everything automatic, I wouldn't have chosen them, as so much to go wrong, but it was such a good deal.
And infact it makes driving so eaisy. I have just driven back from Ireland, through Scotland, in wild weather , 500 miles in a day, and I almost didn't have to touch anything, as lights, windscreen wipers, rear view mirror, heating, aircon,gears, all do it themselves. I did have to alter the cruise controll a couple of times!
And stop to get food etc.
So
The lights auto adjust, so there is no low position.
but they are ultra bright, which is great in windy Scottish roads.

Back