Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering New Van. Is there anything obvious i have missed?

P

Plinky

VIP Member
Hi, I'm just about to order a California. Is there anything obvious that I should add to the spec that I haven't done already? Also is the storage net extra worthwhile or not, and black v silver awning ? Thanks for any advice

Climatronic
Cold water shower
Dab
parking sensors
mud flaps
laminated glass
Metallic silver paint
Bluetooth
safe
tour pack
Silver awning rail
multi function wheel
wheel arch/sills/rear bumper protectors

Re: Ordering New Van. Is there anything obvious i have misse

There's is / used to be a 'Smoking Pack" for around £20.

I hope no one smokes in their Cali but apparently this gives you an extra cup holder and 12v lighter socket.

Another cup holder would be useful as the normal ones are useless.

Privacy glass.

those glass options are confusing. I'll get it all explained to me tomorrow morning (early ;) )by the rep i'm sure

I wonder if you demisted the window options today Plinky. After 3 hours in the showroom, plus a test-drive I still don't understand.

I'm still not sure myself, but have selected the laminated glass pack. It is privacy tinted and meant to be quieter i think....Its not that clear is it. I'm as confused as you.
Sorry i can't be of more help.

We have the laminated option. It is tinted a sort of greenish colour and still a bit of a goldfish bowl.

We opted for a dealer fit privacy tint. Its actually done by a 3rd party of course. Net result is brilliant - you can see out perfectly but not in.

When I spoke to the fitters about the level of tint to fit, they said there are basically 3 types, light, medium and limo. 90% of people have medium. We also opted for this. He also said that legally there has to be 70% visibility out regardless of tint which would seem sensible.

I would consider just finding a local company to do this for you. Probably cheaper than getting the dealer to fit it for you. Our dealer threw it in because of all the problems we had had with our order.

Plinky said:
black v silver awning ?

I think the silver awning has a reflective "fabric" which is supposed to be better in the heat. Although the black awning has a grey coloured fabric, so it is only the case that is black.

Black Awning = Black Case - Grey Fabric
Silver Awning = Silver Case - Silver Fabric

Therefore I think most people choose the awning based on the colour of the van.

There was a thread here: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=8105

For most van colours the awning colour is obvious, dark van = black awning, light van = silver awning. The opinion was divided on what colour suited a blue van best.

T

Good advice about the tinting of the laminated windows...thanks for that. Did you order it because it is meant to be quieter?

I ordered the silver awning, both casing and cloth. My van will be silver, but I think it will also make things cooler when sitting underneath it...

Silver Van with Silver Awning is a classic combo.

The cooling properties is certainly the theory of the silver awning, however we have had more use for ours for its waterproof properties :D

Hi Plinky, there is something wrong with VW sales process when people are ordering stuff that they are not sure they need, or indeed what it is. You can't help but feel that VW would make a lot more options sales if they knew their product. For most people "when in doubt they leave it out".
As you know, I am in the same position as you. My current question is whether if I want the option of adding a drive away awning to my roll-out awning, I need to add a £60 awning rail to the roll-out awning.

I agree with you, and am wondering if things are any clearer in Germany....Maybe something is lost in translation. Even so, the dealers should be very clear about the specs.

acer said:
Hi Plinky, there is something wrong with VW sales process when people are ordering stuff that they are not sure they need, or indeed what it is. You can't help but feel that VW would make a lot more options sales if they knew their product. For most people "when in doubt they leave it out".
As you know, I am in the same position as you. My current question is whether if I want the option of adding a drive away awning to my roll-out awning, I need to add a £60 awning rail to the roll-out awning.

You get the awning rail on both sides of the van included, the £60 is to upgrade from black rails to chrome, hope this clears things up. :thumb

Help.

Is it safe to assume that since I've ordered the silver awning that the awning rail will also be silver? I've checked all photos I can find and can not find a silver awning with a black rail. (Something I don't particularly want on a Candy White Cali)

Anyone?

I think may be not. The silver rail is an option approx. £60.

Silver Rail.JPG

Having looked through plenty of Cali pictures I can not seem to find a silver awning on a black rail.

On the basis it is quite a confusing and easily "missable" option it would seem to be logical that the silver awning option includes the silver awning rail.

However I'm not sure it worth the risk hence the email to the dealer this morning :doh :hello

I've done the same. Was happy with my order until I read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reserves said:
There's is / used to be a 'Smoking Pack" for around £20.

I hope no one smokes in their Cali but apparently this gives you an extra cup holder and 12v lighter socket.

Another cup holder would be useful as the normal ones are useless.

I've asked 3 dealers if they can explain where the extra cupholder goes and they can't. Also, a dealer told me yesterday that as of 3 weeks ago Cali's come with the smoker pack as standard. (Admit its strange that it is still listed as an option)

after reading this thread, i phone my dealer and asked him to add the smoking pack onto my order (still unconfirmed so able to do this). Surprisingly, he said that he was unable to this as the pack had now been removed from the factory order system and could no longer accept this option, even though the dealership configurator system was showing this as an option for pricing etc. he also said that you don't get an extra cupholder, but what you do get is a sliding compartment which contains the ashtray. also, he stated that you don't get an extra cigarette outlet; you just get the cigarette lighter device itself that you would use to light said cigarette. so really still confused on this one, but will certainly advise next march when our cali is delivered.

Gehäuse und Schiene in silber! ("Housing and rail in silver")

On the Austria VW California configurator the above is indicated on the silver awning option: