Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the storage net option worth having?

I have the net. Ordered mainly to get the second drawer under the rear seat. It is handy for putting clothes glasses etc in at bed time. Does get in the way a bit when sliding the roof hatch closed but makes the sliding shutter a tight fit and stops it from sliding open.

Looks like we've similar concerns Plinky.
Is this the net to stop my kids falling out of the roof at night?
So, the extra drawer is on the sliding door side at 90 degrees to the wide drawer on the
front of the seats?
The net gets in the way when sliding the roof closed? So, I take it you are not using the drawer to store the net?
Anything that stops the sliding roof mechanism from opening as you drive along is good? It seemed to do this relentlessly in our hire vehicle.
Grateful for any clarification on this.

This net is not the child safety net; we have the storage net and find it really useful at night for putting clothes etc ready for the morning. It is designed to stay in place. The extra drawer is alongside the big one and also very useful. We have never had trouble with the sliding cover as long as we slide it forward until it clicks into place.

We've been looking on the internet for an image of the storage net. We can't imagine where it sits (in camp or drive mode). Anyone got any pics or website address? Also, the kids net on brandrup looks like a table tennis type net, that my kids would just fall over if they started their sleep walk routine. Any thoughts on this?

Saw the net in a demo, I think the net runs across the opening by the front of the van roof, it's quit slim, i'm guessing from memory about 9" deep and full width of the opening - you could store nightwear in it i imagine. We are getting this option mainly for the very useful 2nd sliding drawer under the seat.

I've seen this and the drawer larrylamb. Very useful x 2.

Just beware that you lose rear loading space by having the drawer - if you want to carry a wind-break for example. We are having this option but will lay the windbreak diagonally in the rear - just enough room. The drawer is more important we think.

Whilst it's always nice to think you've covered all the bases with deciding what you think you need before you even have spent one night in your Cali there is the danger that you will end up buying things that you will never use or need. With over 25 years caravanning, 10 years tenting plus 2 years continental touring with the Cali we still have the ability to get it wrong.

Following the thread on what people want or take away to make coffee was interesting. I particularly liked the atomic coffee maker but at £250'ish and the space you need to stow it I think I'll stick with my cafetiere and fret about the fact that I really like the idea of an atomic coffee maker. It doesn't mean that those who take their atomic coffee maker are wrong because it's right by them.

You have to decide what's right for you and a lot of things you can't do that until you've spent some time in the Cali. Then you will find what's essential, desirable, not needed.

Regarding this net, I question the usefulness of the net but the draw sounds nice however, like the previous post, I do find the space where the draw would go useful for putting various items. Somebody uses it for glasses wraped in tea towels,we carry two glasses, him and hers, and a small balloon glass for my Armagnc; now that I can't do without.

Gregc
On your storage net photos I notice you have TV / DVD picture on your radio / media screen, how is that possible?......... Please forgive me being naive Im currently not a Cali owner (but have one on order)
Thanks
paul
Yes I was wondering the same thing!

Yes I was wondering the same thing!

I have the factory fitted RNS 510 with the Digital TV reception option.
It's not playing a DVD in photos (but it does). Screen is showing Freeview digital TV.

How does the net fit then? I couldn't quite see. Looks a little cheap.

How does the net fit then? I couldn't quite see. Looks a little cheap.

Not sure what you mean by fit. It's not removable. It works well for what it is, but as I said I ordered the option for the second under bench drawer.

A small black "rail" is fitted in the roof either side of the opening and the net slides along this. You can scrunch it up or open it out more and it has like a pocket/envelope in the middle to hold the gear in. It is quite good quality and very useful, but like Greg said it's worth the money for the second sliding storage drawer, the net is a bonus.

I like the drawer idea but for the fact my fishing rod tube fits neatly in the length of the boot/ under seat load through space. Might have to buy a travel rod and fit the drawer.

I can see that the net might be handy but also might get in the way. I like the idea of clipping on a net to the ceiling in the pop top in the holes for the kiddy catcher net. Useful for bits and bobs when stopped and sleeping upstairs.

I have the factory fitted RNS 510 with the Digital TV reception option.
It's not playing a DVD in photos (but it does). Screen is showing Freeview digital TV.
Greg Thanks

Does anyone know if this can be retro fitted, does it have a part number ?

+1, also if it would be feasible to remove the draw on occasions when I'd be carrying skis?
There is a post hidden in the depths of this forum from memory that lists the parts, prices and fitting instructions. try various searches.

Thanks, found it but no info on how easy it would be to remove it on occasions.

I've recently noticed that vacant space above the cab, and found a way to use it very cheaply and effectively.

I have bought two short expandable curtain rails from Ikea (£1 each). Expand these across the space with a little Velcro at each end to stop them slipping/rolling. Adjust the spacing to suit your needs. Could use three rails if you want to to make it stronger.
Onto these rails I have placed all sorts of things from boxes of gear, washing up bowls, folded blankets, a tea tray, you name it. It holds quite a weight, and keeps flat unlike the net which only appears to hold loose things.
Easy to pack away and store when not in use.

It's a wonderful extra space for most things, especially if you sleep downstairs.

I can take some pics if anyone wants to see more.

Back