• Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Seamelody

Seamelody

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for the replies and clarification it was first registered on 1st September 2017 so can only assume it’s already fitted with the tape. Appreciate the messages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalala

Lalala

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just catching up on this thread . Our T6 ocean was deliver nov 2016 and registered jan 2017 . So seemingly well before this tape being added automatically . I have heard nothing about a recall, it’s been for it’s first service and nothing mentioned and phone van centre today and was told I had not recalls on the van.

I can not see clear tape - is it easy to spot?

Should I be requesting a recall or just ask them to check for roof corrosion ? We are a bit nervous around pulling away the black seal and causing damage

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
ust catching up on this thread . Our T6 ocean was deliver nov 2016 and registered jan 2017 . So seemingly well before this tape being added automatically . I have heard nothing about a recall, it’s been for it’s first service and nothing mentioned and phone van centre today and was told I had not recalls on the van.

Should I be requesting a recall or just ask them to check for roof corrosion ? We are a bit nervous around pulling away the black seal and causing damage
Your van is about the same age as ours. You will not get a call re-recall they will look at it when you are in for service.

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just catching up on this thread . Our T6 ocean was deliver nov 2016 and registered jan 2017 . So seemingly well before this tape being added automatically . I have heard nothing about a recall, it’s been for it’s first service and nothing mentioned and phone van centre today and was told I had not recalls on the van.

My 2016 T6 went into Breeze Van Centre two weeks ago as the coil light came on, they informed me when I took it in that they would need it for two days as they had to check the roof for corrosion. There was no corrosion and they applied the tape.

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
If you mention the word roof RECALL to dealership they will look blank! Roof inspection is an advisory to dealers to inspect the roof assess anything needed when vehicle comes into them, but you can ask your dealer to do a check anyway without waiting till kits booked in for something. Worth doing, recommended by VW all should do it (except new Calis I guess?) Recall word is only used for safety issues apparently, a different sort of thing.

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
If you mention the word roof RECALL to dealership they will look blank! Roof inspection is an advisory to dealers to inspect the roof assess anything needed when vehicle comes into them, but you can ask your dealer to do a check anyway without waiting till kits booked in for something. Worth doing, recommended by VW all should do it (except new Calis I guess?) Recall word is only used for safety issues apparently, a different sort of thing.
Well I was told that there was a recall on my 2015 t5, when I had a service, a couple of months back.but they didn’t have the tape.
I rang Hereford Vw, as it has been recommended, by Welshgas, and was put through to a call centre, who said there was no recall. I rang again I think they were less busy, and spoke to Les in van servicing, and he said there was a recall, it would take an hour, to remove seal, take pictures, apply tape.
So I’m booked in for that

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
To answer your question. The tape is fairly easy to spot when your at roof level, on mine you can see the edge of the tape protrude by a couple of mm above the roof seal (not in all place though) pealing the rubber back slightly would reveal the tape if already fitted.

The seal is just a push fit, you will only need to carefully peel back a small section, corner of the roof is a good place.

Could try ringing the dealer, tell them you are aware of the roof issue and simply askif they will / can apply the tape, (don’t mention recal)

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Which brings to mind that they still haven't learned from their first attempts to build a California.
The model is already running from 2003!!
They all suffer the same issue. Water and dirt getting between the roof and the rubber. This causes corrosion.
How hard can it be after 16!!!! years to build something that does not rust?

Spotlight Kid

Spotlight Kid

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I took my van in for its first MOT last month and got told about this roof recall. They did the tape thing but found corrosion and said it would need to be booked into the bodyshop to be fixed. I have just been told that VW now require this work carried out by an external company they have nominated who have such a backlog of work that it will likely not be until next year before I get an appointment!

I also need to take the van back to the dealer for photos to be taken of the corrosion. Apparently VW now require to see these before they will authorise the work to be carried out.

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
my experience exactly!
and VW are telling me only 3% of Calis need this...HA!

Spotlight Kid

Spotlight Kid

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
my experience exactly!
and VW are telling me only 3% of Calis need this...HA!
It sounds like they are swamped to me.

Not really an issue as they are going to have to repair whatever corrosion there is. If it get's worse over this extended period then they will have more to repair. The roof works and I can still use the van without any problem which is the important thing. The whole thing is a bit stupid though. The dealer agreed.

Scaliwag

Scaliwag

I was born under a wandering star.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I took my van in for its first MOT last month and got told about this roof recall. They did the tape thing but found corrosion and said it would need to be booked into the bodyshop to be fixed. I have just been told that VW now require this work carried out by an external company they have nominated who have such a backlog of work that it will likely not be until next year before I get an appointment!

I also need to take the van back to the dealer for photos to be taken of the corrosion. Apparently VW now require to see these before they will authorise the work to be carried out.
Is there any formal /written notification from VW on this?

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just had the tape fitted.......no corrosion...woopee
But ....they tore the rubber seal at one cornerCA29C611-1D8B-41C4-92CE-9A58752B6575.jpeg
I’ve let them know,,,,,,awaiting a reply...should I worry??

449DE89D-1577-4789-895E-DFA9945E8CC3.jpeg

Calimagg

Calimagg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It’s so annoying,,,,,they can’t have missed that they did it....
This is what I got back after tape was applied. Sent pic to dealer and after chasing, they agreed to replace the seal.
They described doing it as a real “pig’ of a job! Their words not mine.
E8BAB875-D837-4707-BEE6-27C8A67FF32D.jpeg

VW Guru

VW Guru

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This is what I got back after tape was applied. Sent pic to dealer and after chasing, they agreed to replace the seal.
They described doing it as a real “pig’ of a job! Their words not mine.
View attachment 44926
Hahaha a real pig of a job is just pick myself up off of the floor. It’s an absolute doddle of a job to do if no paint is required it takes an hour to inspect clean and tape. Refitting a old seal is easy as it’s already shaped to your roof that is just poor workmanship. And looking at the state of it should have been replaced under the recall anyway.

Calimagg

Calimagg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hahaha a real pig of a job is just pick myself up off of the floor. It’s an absolute doddle of a job to do if no paint is required it takes an hour to inspect clean and tape. Refitting a old seal is easy as it’s already shaped to your roof that is just poor workmanship. And looking at the state of it should have been replaced under the recall anyway.
Hope you’re okay after your fall:thumb
Interestingly, this is one of the dealers that gets rave reviews on the forum :confused:

VW Guru

VW Guru

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’ve just about managed to pick myself back up :Dwho ever did that should be ashamed of themselves. :headbang

HTML