Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just back from a drive down to Gibraltar.

Disappointing to hear re the fine dining. A few years ago it was the biscuits. If things have indeed changed it would be enough to put me off. Thanks for the heads up!
It was sold as a mini cruise, there was a bit of entertainment laid on if I remember but really its a cross channel ferry.

Again true. We didn't go everywhere and the few places we did go, Ronda, Seville, Marbella and yes even Benidorm and skirting Toledo were very nice ideed, etc. We can't speak any Spanish and I don't like the language. A lot of very dry, deserty regions. Great motorway system though. And currently about 40% of the population wearing masks everywhere, parks, streets, the beach, even when alone. My over riding impressions are, lots of abandoned buildings, graffitti on anything that doesn't move and terrible driving. And of course it was hot, up to 36C.

I prefer France, Italy, Scandinavia.
I'd much rather drive in Spain than Italy, Italians are nutters behind the wheel (my wifes Italian so we drive there a lot) and the further south you go IMO the worse they get. Driven lots in Spain with no issues.

I don't think the graffiti in Spain is any worse than France and like you agree the ferry prices to Spain are expensive so we also prefer to use non toll routes through France, we last went to Spain in June 2019 leaving Liverpool on Thursday evening and arriving near Barcelona Saturday lunch time.

Did you cross into Gibraltar and did it take a while to cross the border?
Going into Gib was quick and easy. Coming out would have been quicker if we hadn't picked the wrong time, ie 10,000 Spaniards going home to Spain.

bit harsh!
IME of the 40% wearing masks in the street, half of those have just walked out of a shop and forgotten they're wearing it! Mandatory anywhere indoors.
When I say I don't like th language, what I mean is I don't speak a work, other than hello and thank you very much. It is too difficult for me. Most mask wearers did not appear to have forgotten to take them off. Some were sitting in parks, walking along by the river/beach/street.

I may re-evaluate my opinion why I have had time to disgest it all and re-vistited my photos videos.

Me too, have just walked from a wine shop to my apartment I left my mask on and I was by myself. Why take it off to just put it back on a few mins later. It is great here that people are wearing masks and the covid rate is lower than at home.
Why take it off to just put it back on a few mins later.

I can't wait to take the mask off. It is restrictive, sweaty (it was 32C in Seville) and INMHO severs little purpose, unless you are ill.

I'd be interested to hear your review of the Santander ship.
The Galicia is a nice new ship and as it goes slower may not be such a problem with wave movement. We has a very calm trip back so no idea if that is so. However I was disappointed with the evening meal, not the same experience to look forward to as on the Cap Finistere but lunch which you pay for was good.

Had both UK and French sockets. If you have European plugs they will not fit into French sockets unless they have the hole for the pin of the French socket. USB sockets were useful. Cabins smaller that the other ships but OK, we had a 4 berth for 2 would not have liked 4 people in it.

Used the ferry Portsmouth-Santander once, not at all choppy and if you're lucky you get to spot whales along the way!

After 2 years of missing our European holiday because of lockdown we cant wait to go again in 2022. Luckily when we had to cancel with BF we managed to get a Commodore cabin which we can’t normally get as they are booked out a year in advance. There were so many people cancelling last year we had the pick.
That trip we have done many times on a variety of ships both with P&O and BF. We have booked Portsmouth to Caen then back Santander to Plymouth. May decide to go straight To Spain but not sure yet. After 15 years on a bike touring France Spain and Portugal but staying in hotels it’s great to travel and not worry about finding a hotel room in the pouring rain which we have on many occasion.
We know the campsites we like best and there are some fantastic ones in Spain. We have joined ACSI which used to be A maximum of €20 a night in the off season but imagine that will rise this year.

Back