Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Laminated Glass.. are the benefits noticeable ?

surfbus

surfbus

VIP Member
Having just ordered my Beach, I am still wondering if I should add the Laminated Glass option. As with many items in the brochure, the description is not very informative and a bit ambiguous.
Also, as is so often the case, even the VW dealers cannot fully explain the technical aspects and perceived advantages of this option. The windscreen is presumably already laminated, so what does this option add to the windscreen lamination?
Has anyone had experience of a Cali with and without the Laminated Glass option?
If so, is there a noticeable/measureable improvement in condensation/heat loss/noise reduction.
Cheers,
Bill

From experience, the Cali windscreen is vulnerable to cracking/chipping. This is probably due to a combination of reasons - its large size, height off the ground and more upright positioning - which makes the windscreen more prone to catching flying stones. I have had 4 replacement windscreens in 7 rears.
It would be interesting to know whether the windscreen lamination option is intended to add a protective layer (I presume it is added onto the external face of the windscreen) to make it more resistant to this sort of damage.

I think the intended goal is to lower the noise.

I agree... I had the laminated option on the basis of noise reduction, and am very pleased with noise levels!!

yep, and I don't and I'm really not pleased by the noise level !

Also got the laminated glass option on mine (Beach). Suppression of outside noise seems good but not been in a Cali (SE or Beach) to do a direct comparison. Disadvantage is all the other rattles in the back are more noticable :headbang

I assumed that most of the wind noise I can hear at faster speeds is due to the awning aerodynamics. The noise in mine comes from the front roof area.

Andy

I assumed that laminated glass would come as standard in a front windscreen and that selecting the option would mean applying it to all the other windows for safety and security.
My old boss used to say that to assume something made an 'ass u me'.
I'm sure someone will tell me he was right again :oops:

Looby said:
I assumed that laminated glass would come as standard in a front windscreen and that selecting the option would mean applying it to all the other windows for safety and security.
My old boss used to say that to assume something made an 'ass u me'.
I'm sure someone will tell me he was right again :oops:
Looking at brochure p42 I'm sure you are right as it include 'laminated privacy glass' and of course privacy glass is B pillar back. Will the front driver and passenger windows be laminated as well??

I have double glazing (specified by the dealer on my demo) but you can't have double glazing and privacy on a Beach :headbang. Off to get it tinted in the next week or two.

Andy

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input on this subject.
Noise levels are very subjective and my seemingly quiet, but unlaminated, Caravelle may seem noisy to someone else.
I suppose my main gripe is the lack of detailed, option specific, information provided by VW.
Are we supposed to judge an options effectiveness based on its cost?
I would rather make an informed decision based on hard facts and specific details, both of which are sadly lacking in the VW brochure.
We shouldn't have to make "assumptions", we should have the facts.
OK ...rant over.
Cheers,
Bill (aka Victor Meldrew)

Wojtek Boden said:
From experience, the Cali windscreen is vulnerable to cracking/chipping. This is probably due to a combination of reasons - its large size, height off the ground and more upright positioning - which makes the windscreen more prone to catching flying stones. I have had 4 replacement windscreens in 7 rears.
It would be interesting to know whether the windscreen lamination option is intended to add a protective layer (I presume it is added onto the external face of the windscreen) to make it more resistant to this sort of damage.

Have to disagree with the above. I drive a truck which has a larger windscreen which is completely upright. I can think of about 8 replacement screens in 10 years on 18 vehicles. We do get chips which are repaired ASAP.

All windscreens nowadays are laminated for safety reasons. Plastic layer in between two layers of glass. If screen shatters the glass stays in place held by the plastic layer. Non laminated screens explode when they shatter, cutting the occupants in the process.
Lamination is not used for noise limiting.

well the windscreens are indeed laminated with a basic process and the option WV is offering seems to be some kind of extra layer for noise reduction...

I've discovered a button in my Beach which eliminates a lot of noise and rattles if you have them.

If you look in front of you, you will see it, it's marked 'volume' and it's normally on what ever radio/sat nav you specified.

I quick turn of this and all other noise is greatly reduced :)

James

So perhaps I can help here!... I have done back to back driving in a Beach without laminated glass (6000 miles) and then swaped to a Beach with (10000 miles). I can honestly say that I cannot notice any different, despite being atuned to noises. However when I bought the cost of privacy and the auto wipers as seperate option made the laminated glass option a no brainer... even if you can't spot the difference!

Steve.

Thanks Steve, You have confirmed my suspicions about the dubious benefits of this option.
I take your point about the minimal extra cost when included with Privacy Glass and auto wipers but as I already have the auto rain sensor in another pack, I will forego the minimal advantages of this option.
Cheers,
Bill

Perhaps misguided... But I also have a belief that laminated side and rear glass gives me improved security.

I also have a belief that laminated side and rear glass gives me improved security.

Now that's a better selling point and one that I had not considered.
Normal toughened glass can easily be shattered by a sharp object and is a weak point in any vehicle security.
If the door glass is also laminated then I may reconsider.

Back