Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

...as i posted earlier: I had no leaks, but "...it is not much of a test: no wind and just light rain. The bellows are mainly being protected by the roof solid part, so far as i can tell are hardly wet. Can't offer more reassurance than that i'm afraid!"

As there was loads of wind forecast i lowered the roof for the night time, then raised it again when there was no rain to give it an airing.

I'll do a proper test soon and post a report - have to say: i am concerned, whereas i had been feeling ok.

Just checked the forecast and it looks pretty dry for a few days now...
Ah yeah, I remember your update. Apologies.

I agree - I am concerned too.

I asked him that question a couple of weeks ago on his YouTube channel and he just sits on the fence and says speak to your dealer.
yeah, he replied to one of my youtube comments and said that a fix is coming out.

...as i posted earlier: I had no leaks, but "...it is not much of a test: no wind and just light rain. The bellows are mainly being protected by the roof solid part, so far as i can tell are hardly wet. Can't offer more reassurance than that i'm afraid!"

As there was loads of wind forecast i lowered the roof for the night time, then raised it again when there was no rain to give it an airing.

I'll do a proper test soon and post a report - have to say: i am concerned, whereas i had been feeling ok.

Just checked the forecast and it looks pretty dry for a few days now...
Same position as you, we had several hours of rain at the weekend and as I posted it was bone dry inside. We have heavy rain forecast for Friday when I will be at home and I will be putting the pop top up to give it a more thorough test and keep my fingers cross that there is no ingress, but having read some of the posts have my concerns for sure. Will report back on the outcome :confused:

Ah yeah, I remember your update. Apologies.

I agree - I am concerned too.
No need to apologise :)

I did notice a small leak, coming in from under the black seal where the bellows fit against the body of the van...not a big deal, but not the best of signs...small leaks tend to become bigger ones as capillary action kicks in?

I did notice a small leak, coming in from under the black seal where the bellows fit against the body of the van...not a big deal, but not the best of signs...small leaks tend to become bigger ones as capillary action kicks in?
Not good. Where about?

We noticed 2 types of leaking on our 03S. The seams in the canvas and also the rubber joint at the bottom. The black strip on the 04S at least seems to partially resolve the leaking seams, but I see no change where the black rubber join is at the bottom on the 04S.

We noticed 2 types of leaking on our 03S. The seams in the canvas and also the rubber joint at the bottom. The black strip on the 04S at least seems to partially resolve the leaking seams, but I see no change where the black rubber join is at the bottom on the 04S.
Thanks. Helpful information.

Not good. Where about?
My roof was up most of the day, then i put it down as there was wind forecast, and i was concerned that it may be gusty/strong.

The rain throughout the day was nothing more than a light shower/no wind, the outside of one front corner was showing a little more wetness than the opposite corner (maybe 6in up from the base of the bellows), water was leaking into the inside at this corner where the black "seal" sits against the body of the van.

I wan't going to mention it as i didn't want to raise concerns unnecessarily. Easy to be over focused sometimes :)

Just water tested my April 2023, hose pipe on spray and gave it a very good soaking for about 10 minutes. Please to say Not a drop of water has come through. No label inside to see when it was made but it is the dark grey outside and cream fabric inside.
I did notice that there are drain holes front right and left in the van roof under a black plastic strip. Mine on the right was blocked with a leaf.

A few days after I picked up our Cali I did a 15 minute hose test, left it a couple of hours and zero leaks.

Stayed over in Brighton a couple of weeks ago and had about 25 mins of quite heavy rain and a fair blustery wind. Again, no leaks at all.

Last night was fine rain, almost a heavy drizzle if you like. Just pitter-patting on the roof. Wind was very gentle (the wife’s Crocs didn’t blow away from under the van and my Rainbow Shades thermal screen cover wasn’t flapping at all). But the drizzle lasted hours and soaked the bellows. This, IMO, is key. They need to be soaked constantly for hours.

The seams on the bellows are thick and appear to absorb water, then it has to go somewhere and just leaks through. I have no noticeable pin-holes or stitching errors that I can see. When we closed the roof the seams squeezed water out like a sponge - that’s what’s stained the pop-top ceiling I think.

When we removed everything to dry it out this morning, it was evident that virtually every seam had leaked - front, back, sides. Horizontal, vertical. Even the rubber seal along the bottom leaked - although that was just the front area.

These 04S bellows do feel different than the 03S ones we had - thicker and a silkier finish inside. But evidently VW are not testing them at all - we are.

I‘m just reporting my own findings with my own Cali - I’m not trying to worry anyone and hope others with new bellows/vehicles are fine. It could very well be that mine if just a Friday afternoon van.

Yup. Had the windows open when closing it. The front bit of the pop top is a bit of a pain when closing the hatch bit.

We also have that net / hammock installed too which makes it tiiiight. Very handy though.

Do you have a topper for the pop top bed? I found it quite hard and woke up sore during the night. We have the comfort mattress too does that fit on it?
Lower the roof until it's almost closed. Tidy up the bellows folds. Close the hatch. Lower the roof completely. Removes all the hassle and makes sure the material doesn't get trapped when you try to force the hatch shut

Lower the roof until it's almost closed. Tidy up the bellows folds. Close the hatch. Lower the roof completely. Removes all the hassle and makes sure the material doesn't get trapped when you try to force the hatch shut
Clever

Yup. Had the windows open when closing it. The front bit of the pop top is a bit of a pain when closing the hatch bit.

We also have that net / hammock installed too which makes it tiiiight. Very handy though.

Do you have a topper for the pop top bed? I found it quite hard and woke up sore during the night. We have the comfort mattress too does that fit on it?
Make sure you push the net/ hammock thingy as far back as it will go. Made it a lot easy for us.

A few days after I picked up our Cali I did a 15 minute hose test, left it a couple of hours and zero leaks.

Stayed over in Brighton a couple of weeks ago and had about 25 mins of quite heavy rain and a fair blustery wind. Again, no leaks at all.

Last night was fine rain, almost a heavy drizzle if you like. Just pitter-patting on the roof. Wind was very gentle (the wife’s Crocs didn’t blow away from under the van and my Rainbow Shades thermal screen cover wasn’t flapping at all). But the drizzle lasted hours and soaked the bellows. This, IMO, is key. They need to be soaked constantly for hours.

The seams on the bellows are thick and appear to absorb water, then it has to go somewhere and just leaks through. I have no noticeable pin-holes or stitching errors that I can see. When we closed the roof the seams squeezed water out like a sponge - that’s what’s stained the pop-top ceiling I think.

When we removed everything to dry it out this morning, it was evident that virtually every seam had leaked - front, back, sides. Horizontal, vertical. Even the rubber seal along the bottom leaked - although that was just the front area.

These 04S bellows do feel different than the 03S ones we had - thicker and a silkier finish inside. But evidently VW are not testing them at all - we are.

I‘m just reporting my own findings with my own Cali - I’m not trying to worry anyone and hope others with new bellows/vehicles are fine. It could very well be that mine if just a Friday afternoon van.
Thanks, and sorry to hear your roof is leaking. It's possible - the Friday afternoon theory - and i/we certainly appreciate you suggesting this as a means to lessen my/our concern.

From what i can judge your observation/theory looks to be very credible.

I am going to attempt to recreate the fine rain with a test on my 04S bellows - i'll report back here with my findings. Probably be in a few days.

The mechanics of the leaking exactly reflect my experience with 11/22 manufactured 03S bellows. Light none saturating rain, even with significant wind, no leaks. One drenching rainstorm (no wind) and as soon as the fabric is saturated the steady drip-drip started. The rate of infiltration is constant, irrespective of the rainfall, suggesting capillary action at work through 2 points either side of the curved zipper (front panel). Closed the bellows before other seams leaked and the water poured in through the front panel seams wetting the seats.

I'm waiting a couple more months before taking my Coast in based on these mixed reviews.

My solution to this problem is suggest to VW to speak and use the same material that the Cali topper from the club shop uses. It’s waterproof, flexible folds into small space and relatively cheap. Job done.

The mechanics of the leaking exactly reflect my experience with 11/22 manufactured 03S bellows. Light none saturating rain, even with significant wind, no leaks. One drenching rainstorm (no wind) and as soon as the fabric is saturated the steady drip-drip started. The rate of infiltration is constant, irrespective of the rainfall, suggesting capillary action at work through 2 points either side of the curved zipper (front panel). Closed the bellows before other seams leaked and the water poured in through the front panel seams wetting the seats.

I'm waiting a couple more months before taking my Coast in based on these mixed reviews.
us too

I hate to say but due to the Cali 6.1 being discontinued in June I think the future revisions of this pop top will be minimal.

I think their stance is going to be that it’s not fully waterproof.

I think if heavy rain is forecast I’ll keep the roof down. Only during showers will I keep it up.

On a side note, there is not leaking when the roof is fully closed is there?

On a side note, there is not leaking when the roof is fully closed is there?
California roofs, like all opening roofs, leak when they are down to a certain extent - hence the gutters and drainage tubes at each corner of the roof. The seals keep the worst out, but they always leak to some degree - like a sunshine roof on a car (which have the same kind of design).

California roofs, like all opening roofs, leak when they are down to a certain extent - hence the gutters and drainage tubes at each corner of the roof. The seals keep the worst out, but they always leak to some degree - like a sunshine roof on a car (which have the same kind of design).
Maybe we just need to move somewhere hot.

I hate to say but due to the Cali 6.1 being discontinued in June I think the future revisions of this pop top will be minimal.

I think their stance is going to be that it’s not fully waterproof.

I think if heavy rain is forecast I’ll keep the roof down. Only during showers will I keep it up.
Good in theory, but the trouble is it's not just the heavy rain that gets in - its the saturating rain...which can be both hard rain and persistent drizzly whimpy rain :)

So you monitor things and notice the odd small leak, lower to roof as a precautionary measure, and bingo, you squeeze all the water out of the now saturated material of the roof and it water goes all over the roof mounted control module, the rood lining and bed, and the front seats :) Not so good for the relaxing trip away, when the bed is soaked, the electrics have fused, and your lovely van is flood damaged.

If only it was that easy.

And, i'm an optimist :)

Back