Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

You’ll find it hard to reject a vehicle more than 6 months in ownership that you’re still USING.
Yes I'm aware the 6 months of consumer protection is from purchase date.

As some may recall I sent a list of cases, images and feedback received from both here and the Facebook group to the VW Executive Office and got the following response from the Brand Liaison Manager:

——

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you very much for your response and for providing all of the information from the Forum, surrounding our customers experiencing issues with water ingress in the Californias

At this time, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK are investigating the points raised and will have more information in the coming days.

I will continue to keep you updated.

——
Not a great deal in there yet but it’s an acknowledgement at least…

For anyone that purchased via EuroVans I also met with the Aftersales Manager today whilst in there for some warranty work. He’s offered to be the lead contact for anyone with the issue that bought from there so please include him in any correspondence.
dean.lifford@thejcbgroup.co.uk

Will provide any more updates from the EO as and when they come.

Last edited:
As some may recall I sent a list of cases, images and feedback received from both here and the Facebook group to the VW Executive Office and got the following response from the Brand Liaison Manager:

——

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you very much for your response and for providing all of the information from the Forum, surrounding our customers experiencing issues with water ingress in the Californias

At this time, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK are investigating the points raised and will have more information in the coming days.

——

For anyone that purchased via EuroVans I also met with the Aftersales Manager today whilst in there for some warranty work. He’s offered to be the lead contact for anyone with the issue that bought from there so please include him in any correspondence.

Good work.

I've struggled to find anyone to own this issue, from the Warranty guy, to Service manager to Sales agents so I will pop him something over soon. It's just over a week ago that they submitted the technical report recommending new bellows to VW.

Were leaking bellows on your list today?

And how many cases did you document for the EO?

——

Dear Mr Smith

——

Well done for doing this, and lets see what they say In the coming days.

Is the EO the same team as VWCV Customer Care or a higher being ? I chased up CC today as they and VWCV Liverpool have gone very quiet on their offer to me from last Friday of a roof topper pending a proper fix. Fortunately the forecast looks sunny for my two nights away early next week - shouldn't need be such a concern ahead of travelling but sadly it currently is !

Is the EO the same team as VWCV Customer Care or a higher being ? I chased up CC today as they and VWCV Liverpool have gone very quiet on their offer to me from last Friday of a roof topper pending a proper fix. Fortunately the forecast looks sunny for my two nights away early next week - shouldn't need be such a concern ahead of travelling but sadly it currently is !
Not totally sure but I was put in touch with them after emailing the VWCV CEO and Head of Development so I’m not sure I can take it much higher :D

Good work.

I've struggled to find anyone to own this issue, from the Warranty guy, to Service manager to Sales agents so I will pop him something over soon. It's just over a week ago that they submitted the technical report recommending new bellows to VW.

Were leaking bellows on your list today?

And how many cases did you document for the EO?
Definitely go through Dean, he seemed pretty receptive considering I blindsided him with it. Mine wasn’t in for bellows, it came with one Cali badge and one Transporter badge so was having that swapped over but I figured I’d grab the opportunity to ask about it whilst there. I’ve been putting off testing mine but am just going to go ahead and do it I think.

Definitely go through Dean, he seemed pretty receptive considering I blindsided him with it. Mine wasn’t in for bellows, it came with one Cali badge and one Transporter badge so was having that swapped over but I figured I’d grab the opportunity to ask about it whilst there. I’ve been putting off testing mine but am just going to go ahead and do it I think.
Ah yes. The T6.1 with an identity crisis...

I was origionally told by Liverpool to buy the topper and they would refund me the money. Had the ok from finance too.
Why don’t you do the same?

I was origionally told by Liverpool to buy the topper and they would refund me the money. Had the ok from finance too.
Why don’t you do the same?
Thanks and certainly likely to be quicker that way - will suggest it to them

@Jeaniethecali

Hi Jeanie.

I think you started the thread which got closed down.

Please let us know how you are getting on with your leaky Cali...
Hi, so far I'm still waiting for Manchester van centre to get the go ahead from VW to order a replacement bellows. This has been a real up-hill struggle.
Eurovans, where I bought from have said they would try and resolve, but it would mean taking the van back to them and that's a 500 mile round trip.
I'm going to chase up with Manchester next week and see where I stand.
At the end of the day I would be happy with VW owning up to the fact that there is a problem, that they are working on a resolution, and that my bellows will get replaced when there is a fix..... but there seems to be nothing but denial coming from them. Quite poor customer service in my opinion, and I would have expected better of a company that prides itself on its reputation for quality.

When I was with EV yesterday the only thing coming up in the VWCV resolution system relating to the bellows is that some are coming off in the corners, and the system gave them clear guidance how to deal with it. Until dealers see a resolution for this issue in that system and their other communication channels I don’t expect they’ll say anything and you can understand why. I have seen a couple of people on here whose bellows have come loose but nowhere near as many as people whose bellows leak, so you can bet they’re aware of it…I know they are as I am in touch with the Executive Office personally. Depending how long you’ve got left I’d make clear to your dealer that your plan is to reject the vehicle within the first six months if no permanent fix is forthcoming. If everyone takes that same position it just turns the dial up another notch.

Last edited:
When I was with EV yesterday the only thing coming up in the VWCV resolution system relating to the bellows is that some are coming off in the corners, and the system gave them clear guidance how to deal with it. Until dealers see a resolution for this issue in that system and their other communication channels I don’t expect they’ll say anything and you can understand why. I have seen a couple of people on here whose bellows have come loose but nowhere near as many as people whose bellows leak, so you can bet they’re aware of it…I know they are as I am in touch with the Executive Office personally. Depending how long you’ve got left I’d make clear to your dealer that your plan is to reject the vehicle within the first six months if no permanent fix is forthcoming. If everyone takes that same position it just turns the dial up another notch.
We’ve done this. Our dealer knows rejection is very much on the cards and that’s because it really is - it’s no bluff. We’re not prepared to keep waiting in hope for a solution, even though we believe there may ultimately be one.

@Jeaniethecali. I was wondering if you have any updates since sending EuroVans your letter of rejection? Or any update from Manchester Van Centre after they tested one of their MY23 vans?

Cheers.
So Manchester van centre told me that they tested a brand new showroom van and it didn’t leak (but that said mine didn’t leak when they did their ‘test’). As a result, they have used my photos to prove that there is a problem with mine, and requested authority from VW to replace the bellows.

So Manchester van centre told me that they tested a brand new showroom van and it didn’t leak (but that said mine didn’t leak when they did their ‘test’). As a result, they have used my photos to prove that there is a problem with mine, and requested authority from VW to replace the bellows.
Did they state what their test comprised of and the steps involved. It was possibly just a hose pipe for 5 minutes that does nothing to imitate how persistent rain affects the bellows.

Hi, so far I'm still waiting for Manchester van centre to get the go ahead from VW to order a replacement bellows. This has been a real up-hill struggle.
Eurovans, where I bought from have said they would try and resolve, but it would mean taking the van back to them and that's a 500 mile round trip.
At the end of the day I would be happy with VW owning up to the fact that there is a problem, that they are working on a resolution, and that my bellows will get replaced when there is a fix..... but there seems to be nothing but denial coming from them. Quite poor customer service in my opinion, and I would have expected better of a company that prides itself on its reputation for quality.
In an earlier post on the old thread, I think you were sending a rejection letter to Eurovans.

How did they react to that?

Did they state what their test comprised of and the steps involved. It was possibly just a hose pipe for 5 minutes that does nothing to imitate how persistent rain affects the bellows.
No idea what their test comprised of, but I expect it was a quick dowsing with a hose pipe. They did say that that when they tested the new van, they left the roof up in the rain.

They won’t accept there is an issue , because us customers have to expect water ingress through the seems and zips- according to vw Germany .

The sooner you all reject the better!! In my opinion .

They won’t accept there is an issue , because us customers have to expect water ingress through the seems and zips- according to vw Germany .
I don’t agree, they might well accept there is an issue. Their response sounds like a normal initial reaction, but I don’t think they’ll be able to ignore the overwhelming evidence that’s building now.

The sooner you all reject the better!! In my opinion .

Well that’s up to us isn’t it, we’ll all make our own decisions. I throughly respect you for seeing through your rejection and washing your hands of this, but I have to wonder why you’re still here as you’re no longer a California owner and no longer have to be concerned with this problem. Are you going to move on to another type of campervan?

I don’t agree, they might well accept there is an issue. Their response sounds like a normal initial reaction, but I don’t think they’ll be able to ignore the overwhelming evidence that’s building now.

Well that’s up to us isn’t it, we’ll all make our own decisions. I throughly respect you for seeing through your rejection and washing your hands of this, but I have to wonder why you’re still here as you’re no longer a California owner and no longer have to be concerned with this problem. Are you going to move on to another type of campervan?
The tsunami of disgruntled new owners is only just taking shape. In the UK and throughout Europe. VWCV are continuing to build the California and will continue until next summer. That is many 100's of potentially leaking bellows on the road. VW will not be able to swot the complaints away. I am all for buyers like Jon returning their vehicles as it's the best wakeup call for the manufacturer, as they know exactly why the buyer has cancelled the contract. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.
Personally I would not give up at this stage but more power to those who do.

They don’t have to accept there is an issue , if they are bringing a new campervan out, and moving to a different Cali next year … they’ll bring a New model out with new bellows. And they’ll save a shed loads Of money from replacing current bellows.

I’m still here because I want to be!
I wasn’t aware this is a forum for people who actually own a Cali?
Im pretty sure there are dealers on here too, and people looking to buy .

Who knows I may buy one in the future, I may not .

I think your questioning as to why Jonicali is on the forum is a little out of order. There are quite a few members, like Grannie Jen and myself, who have contributed a lot over the years, and still do, that don't currently run a Cali. The forum is open to anyone interested in Californias.

I think your questioning as to why Jonicali is on the forum is a little out of order. There are quite a few members, like Grannie Jen and myself, who have contributed a lot over the years, and still do, that don't currently run a Cali. The forum is open to anyone interested in Californias.
Perhaps that came across not as I intended. After hearing of his experience I’m surprised he still wants to be here. Sorry Jon.

Back