Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Update on my case.
I got the bellows replaced.
And now the twist, they were replaced with old one layer material, despite type c bellows were ordered and delivered to the dealer.
I still dont have any explanation from the dealer what and why this happend.
So, i am confused, but on the other hand i got proven bellows and i can now finnaly enjoy cali.
Dealer will sent me a part number by email.

Update on my case.
And now the twist, they were replaced with old one layer material, despite type c bellows were ordered and delivered to the dealer.
So, i am confused, but on the other hand i got proven bellows and i can now finnaly enjoy cali.
Personally, I wouldn’t be happy with that as a solution - it seems like a retrograde step to me.

Update on my case.
So who do you think initiated the switch. VW or your dealer.

You say they ordered type C, got type C delivered but they fitted old ones!!??

Which dealer out of interest?

Its strange i agree, but is VW Slovenia decision.
I will demand some official statement that this is VW solition.
But what do you guys think VW will develop new bellows for last months of production?

Its strange i agree, but is VW Slovenia decision.
I will demand some official statement that this is VW solition.
But what do you guys think VW will develop new bellows for last months of production?
:mute

Update on my case.
Would be fuming if the dealer did that without my authorisation and agreement ahead if time. I want VW to fix the new one.

Well I wouldn’t swop my single MY2023 skin bellows for the newer bellows, even if you paid me. The single skin are excellent and trouble free. Perhaps reverting to the single skin product will be the VW solution, on a take it or leave basis to all new bellows owners reporting leaks: sounds like quite a neat one for them for the T6.1 as it must be easier/quicker to restart the single skin production than forensic study for a solution to the newer bellows problems.

They would then buy time to resolve the issues on the newer bellows for the next 'Concept' California.

Last edited:
Update on my case.
I wouldn’t be happy with this, I was told by Volkswagen customer service that the reason they went from the single layer to the double was because the single layer was causing huge amounts of condensation, roof liner issues and roof rust.

The sooner everyone with issues rejects the vehicles the better , I actually can’t believe people are keeping hold of a vehicle that’s not fit for purpose.
You wouldn’t keep a dish washer , a fridge, a car , a tent or anything else that didn’t work.

It’s actually mind boggling.

I wouldn’t be happy with this, I was told by Volkswagen customer service that the reason they went from the single layer to the double was because the single layer was causing huge amounts of condensation, roof liner issues and roof rust.

The sooner everyone with issues rejects the vehicles the better , I actually can’t believe people are keeping hold of a vehicle that’s not fit for purpose.
You wouldn’t keep a dish washer , a fridge, a car , a tent or anything else that didn’t work.

no condensation from my single skin and no leaks no roof liner issues and rust very happy with it been out in all conditions down to - 6

I’m more than happy if this does become the solution. We all didn’t suddenly decide to buy a California because they upgraded ( downgraded ) the belows.
But now that I've experienced the new I don't want the old. From my perspective it creates a much more pleasant, airier interior. I also haven't felt the need to install a topper, it offers more privacy and seems to fold easier. Nope, I don't want the old one. I just want the new one fixed.
Heading off to Burgundy tomorrow and hoping for a bit of rain to test my bellows.

But now that I've experienced the new I don't want the old. From my perspective it creates a much more pleasant, airier interior. I also haven't felt the need to install a topper, it offers more privacy and seems to fold easier. Nope, I don't want the old one. I just want the new one fixed.
Heading off to Burgundy tomorrow and hoping for a bit of rain to test my bellows.
I must admit I have no experience of the old one. Mine has leaked but it was in a yellow weather warning for wind and rain. Hasn’t leaked when iv tested it in normal wet conditions at home.

I've had experience of both the MY22 and MY23 bellows, months apart and in similar conditions.

MY22 - waterproof (!), less insulating, much darker feeling, flappier, thinner (feels less durable), sliding roof hatch much easier to close

MY23 - in *some* conditions lets water through, significantly improved ambience (brighter and more pleasant, both with the bed base up and down), more noise insulation, no flapping even in high winds, warmer in cool weather, initially almost impossible to close the sliding hatch as there seems to be a lot more bulk to the folded roof, but it's getting better with time

I will not be swapping back to the MY22 canvas; if that's the only solution presented by VW, I will get that proposal in writing as a fallback, then attempt to seam-seal the fabric and/or apply a fabric waterproofer myself. I incidentally don't think the fabric itself has any waterproofness issues; where it appears saturated, I think that's actually the inner material getting wet as water is getting inside, not water making it through the fabric itself.

Looks like we are quite heavy users of our camper, we have experienced leaking on every travel.

The way i look at it is that we like the camper, even if i would get my money back by VW i would go and buy MY23 with old bellows.
Now the VW did this by themselves. I will just demand that i get the statement that in case VW come up with sorted two layer bellows they get replaced one more time.

I've had experience of both the MY22 and MY23 bellows, months apart and in similar conditions.

MY22 - waterproof (!), less insulating, much darker feeling, flappier, thinner (feels less durable), sliding roof hatch much easier to close

MY23 - in *some* conditions lets water through, significantly improved ambience (brighter and more pleasant, both with the bed base up and down), more noise insulation, no flapping even in high winds, warmer in cool weather, initially almost impossible to close the sliding hatch as there seems to be a lot more bulk to the folded roof, but it's getting better with time

I will not be swapping back to the MY22 canvas; if that's the only solution presented by VW, I will get that proposal in writing as a fallback, then attempt to seam-seal the fabric and/or apply a fabric waterproofer myself. I incidentally don't think the fabric itself has any waterproofness issues; where it appears saturated, I think that's actually the inner material getting wet as water is getting inside, not water making it through the fabric itself.
I agree with your comments regarding the MY23 bellows. I did previously comment about the fabric being wet on the inside after it’s saturated. Maybe you are right that water isn’t making it through the fabric itself.

Regarding closing the hatch, stop the roof before it fully closes and tidy up the fabric before fully closing the roof. The hatch closes fine then.

Now the VW did this by themselves. I will just demand that i get the statement that in case VW come up with sorted two layer bellows they get replaced one more time.
Good luck with that. I would have insisted of getting that assurance in writing before I took the Cali off the dealers premises.

Very similar experience to @MarcHobbins24 and @RockinNRollin

Have had the van since April 2023 and been exposed to rain on several occasions. We did experience some drips during a storm with a yellow weather warning - nothing like the leaking seen in the worst photos posted here and on Facebook, no ringing of towels and a long way away from causing any damage to seats or the bedding. This was horizontal rain for several hours.

Elsewhere it’s held up well. Maybe a drip or two in bouts of very heavy spells or thunder storms but not enough for me to engage VW for a fix. Some might view this as not fit for purpose but we’ve not let it stop us getting away. We also have 4 of us in the van so sleeping up top is the norm - if I was in a severe storm with just 2 of us I’d pull down the roof and not consider it an issue.

Like @RockinNRollin i suspect I’ll sit tight for now and eventually apply my own seam sealant. I’m not particularly optimistic that vw will actually implement a recall or any other product correction.

Although the survey was well intentioned, it wasn’t structured in a way that allowed for any range in experience of leakage severity or acknowledged the different weather conditions. There is a range of different experiences with these bellows that is sometimes lost in the discussion.

Complete and utter rubbish - don't know where you got that from.

The sooner everyone with issues rejects the vehicles the better ,
Better for who ? VW or the people that actually use the vans?

I actually can’t believe people are keeping hold of a vehicle that’s not fit for purpose.
Mine and many others are fit for purpose, those that have a roof leak have a simple quick fix of an external topper whilst a permanent solution is sought.
As an all round vehicle camping on a rainy night is not its sole purpose, mine gets driven say 300 days a year & camped in probably 20 nights, it would seem a bit silly to get rid of a van when there's nothing else available that I like that would replace it.

People that post 133 messages about how bad a van is, get rid of it & still have to check into a forum every day just to post more hate. Thats mind boggling.

Last edited:
Complete and utter rubbish - don't know where you got that from.

Better for who ? VW or the people that actually use the vans?

Mine and many others are fit for purpose, those that have a roof leak have a simple quick fix of an external topper whilst a permanent solution is sought.
As an around vehicle camping on a rainy night is not its sole purpose, mine gets driven say 300 days a year & camped in probably 20 nights, it would seem a bit silly to get rid of a van when there's nothing else available that I like that would replace it.

People that post 133 messages about how bad a van is, get rid of it & still have to check into a forum every day just to post more hate. Thats mind boggling.
Am I not allowed on the forum? Think I’m allowed here as much as you mate.

I was told the issues with the single layer of bellows from a technical at vw Germany via the customer service department.
Otherwise why change a winning formula?

And I’m extremely happy I boggle your mind! I’ll keep on posting just to make sure I annoy you even more.
I’m sure there is an ignite button….

I find it strangely odd your even on this chat of yours is fit for purpose, Why are you here?

The ignore button is available to all and sundry and its a sorely tempting option.......

I see a few people are rattled ….. we all have opinions and we all have different information passed to us ….
Suck it up people and crack on.

Take it easy guys, we all got different views. And VW has different solutions for us :)
This is the point of a forum, to get different views.

LOT of my replacement bellows.

View attachment 114056
So they found some NOS bellows. I guess if you are happy then you are lucky as those will be collectors items and harder to come by.

Back